• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to Make Sub Sonic Ammunition???

Alcatraz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2013
I just recently purcharsed a Dillion multipress and was wondering if any body can give me some tips on how to create sub sonic ammo for my suppressed rifles? My friend was telling me that to much powder is deadly and to little than the bullet could get caught in the barrel. Any adivce would be greatly appreciated.

your friend is correct........... gooogle powder websites......call tech support there..... use only proven safe loads.....

We can't help you with that little information. What caliber? What weapon? Trail Boss is boss...

Subsonic loads are generally developed with a combination of heavy projectiles and light loads of powder. However, be warned that there are several problems that are inherent to loading subsonic, namely the potential for squib loads where the bullet doesn't exit the barrel, and low volume ratio loads that cause powder detonation.

My suggestion is to read lots of information, check powder websites and reloading manuals, call tech support, check silencer related forums for reloading sections. Basically read a metric butt ton before you load a single round. And get a chrono if you don't have one yet, otherwise you're just guessing.

Last edited:
I make SS rounds for my 308 using
Lee Collet sized only brass, I mostly use Hornady brass as to keep it separated from my full powder ammo
180 grain round nose
215 mag primer
10 grains of Trailboss
1060 fps out of my 24 inch Rock

I make SS rounds for my Glock 35, weight of the bullet times its speed must be equal or more than 125000, for some reason a a minor load in 40 cal recoils less than a minor load in 9mm loaded to the same powder facture, "40 minor is cheating"
Range brass all sized first with a Lee Bulge Buster, then FL sized
Any pistol primer
3.0 of Clays
180 grain loaded to mag length
.421 crimp
730 fps, my Glock has a 15lb recoil spring, the slide only moves back and forth

Go out and shoot thru the chrono WITHOUT the can on, pay attention to the chrono numbers and lack of key holes in the target, 1050 to 1075 is what I look for in 308, pistol ammo is loaded above 125k

Bottom line....

1-do as JohnnyC says and read read read. The info is already out there. No need to repeat it here.
2-Don't forget to do as 427Cobra said and shoot un-suppressed first. You don't want baffle strikes from tumblers.
3-TrailBoss is indeed boss.

Agree 100% with pinsandpitons, and JohnnyC, when reloading, subsonic, or any other type rounds, ALL those that do not suggest you research your planned loads, with several (more the better) manuals, are idiots. Loading is safe, loading is fun, loading produces the best ammo. Poorly loaded ammo damages firearms more often than you think, and people too. Bullet setback has blown a couple of handguns over the years for example. A good "bulky" powder like trail-boss is a great choice for starting, (and maybe staying with). Get the books! A tip that may help you: SS rounds have similarities to pistol rounds, not just in the velocity end. As you are looking to keep your velocity below the "speed of sound" (a speed that varies depending upon the conditions), bullet weight/shape become a primary concern. You can increase weight, and seating depth, but you can't increase velocity. Bullet pull is also more akin to a pistol round than a rifle round when using some powders. Read all you can, start with KNOWN-pressure tested rounds, and go from there-because you're asking before you start-you are most likely going to have a lot of fun--good luck!

Last edited:
If you are just getting started i would worry about starting with published loads in a reputable manufacturers manual before you get into subsonic loads.

Most manuals do not cover ss rounds and until you get the hang of it. Anyone can put anything online and ive seen people post things that are downright dangerous.

Just get some books and read read read.

The big difference with the two loads is with a standard load you start low and work up, but with subs you start high and work down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Too little powder can cause a secondary detonation, so you have to take your minimum charge weights very seriously. Also, do NOT develop subsonic loads with a suppressor attached until you can first confirm that your bullets are shooting stable and not keyholing (which quick way to get a baffle strike). Use a chronograph to make sure you're getting less than 1050 fps and verify that you're getting stable impacts. Then refine the load with the suppressor. You should be trying to shoot the heaviest bullet you can with a small amount of fast powder that fills the case as much as possible. This is why TrailBoss is so popular.