• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to Mark Carbon Fiber Tripod Tubes - Ideas?

strikeeagle1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I don't like to continually guess if the individual tripod leg sections have been extended equally. Obviously, with full extension of each leg there is no problem.

Most of the time I extend the lower two sections fully then need to adjust the upper tubes equally to get the desired rifle height.

Anyone have a clever way to nicely mark numbered gradations or colored rings that clearly standout on the carbon fiber tubes?

Thanks.

IMG_9420 copy.jpg
IMG_9421 copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 2.44.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 2.45.20 PM.png

Last edited:
Flip the tripod upside down and compare the lengths of each leg by using the bottom rubber foot connected to the lowest leg section.

Once each leg is at the correct height, flip it back and mount the rifle. 30 seconds...no ugly marks on your tripod

Last edited:
White/gold paint pen might work. I mark my Pig tripod with a black sharpie, but it has green legs.

Flip the tripod upside down and compare the lengths of each leg by using the bottom rubber foot connected to the lowest leg section.

Once each leg is at the correct height, flip it back and mount the rifle. 30 seconds...no ugly marks on your tripod
This is what I’ve always done before anything is mounted. After that, just follow levels of it’s that important to be perfectly level.

Leave one leg extended the generally optimal position and only collapse the other ones + the recommendations above

I have a couple of segments marked so I can “instantly” go to “standing”, “kneeling”, or “sitting” on relatively even ground. Having the level on the apex indicate “level” is of less importance to me than having a quick reference to a known height.