• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing how to measure barrel?

killnu

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2008
northern va
ive got a tc encore in 308 im getting ready to have cut down to 16 or 16.5 just to make for a handy hunting rig, i was trying to figure out were the measurement would take off from being as there is really no action and its all barrel im assuming at the back of the barrel were lockup is made correct any ideas would be great just trying to stay batf friendly

thanks

Re: how to measure barrel?

The barrel will legally be measured from the breach face of the receiver to the end of the muzzle.

Close the action when empty and put a cleaning rod down the barrel until it contacts the breach face. Mark the rod, pull the rod out and measure it. This will be the length of the barrel.

Re: how to measure barrel?

HateCA is correct.. i would go for 16 1/4" 0r 16 1/2", if your even .001 under 16" your illegal.. and remember the overall lenght has to be at least 28" i beleive, to stay out of trouble.. Remember what happened to Randy Weaver, at Ruby Ridge.. his shotgun was slighty under legal limit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Weaver