• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to mount a Gem-Tech Halo Can on multiple threaded 1/2-28 hosts?

Southbreeze

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2011
Vancleave, MS
I know, I know and I know.....But for arguments sake, if we were going to do something that was based on sound engineering principle; not some Liability Attorneys best idea.

What could we do?

Background info, I have a halo that I really enjoy, but it's only mountable on A2 flashhiders. So, it sits in the safe more than I'd like it to. Would it reasonable to make a short 2" barrel section fitted with an A2 flashider, that I could thread onto some of my small bore bolt actions and still use my Halo?

Any other ideas, besides getting another thread on can. I'm trying to save a few pennies up for a titanium srt 338 can.

Any smiths to recommend? I'm a chief engineer, mechanic and have been my entire working life, so I "get" the stipulations and requirements of torquing or torque indexing, the use of thread locking compounds and so forth. I intend to use Rocksett for weapon attachment. No full auto use or even long & hot firing strings, mostly just predator control.

Cheers and thanks for info/ideas you care to share,
Breeze

I guess i could, but they'd be some fucked up looking units after that project! I'd just put a tag on each one "Don't even ask".

But you are right and thanks for the idea.

Cheers,
Breeze

I guess the best way is to thread the small bores and just keep the bi-lock attachment in the suppressor, and just thread the suppressor and attachment on the barrel. Unless you can find a way to find a coupling system to tighten on the small bore and then thread the can.

Get a spare A2 suppressor, thread everything 1/2" x 28, insert and lock down the A2 suppressor into the can...screw it on to the host gun and snug it up...

just like use a double crush type washer under the A2 hider as a spacer for the suppressor nut to locate off of....

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/catalog/halo_b_1024_detail.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/technique408/DSCF0116.jpg See how the "nut" centralizes the suppressor to the bore of the gun, by locating off of the washer beneath the flash hider itself.

Love this multi-purpose tool! It's a great can, hammer, personnel bashing device, when hot it's a brand and in a pinch could be used as a duck blind anchor!

Thanks guys, I'll get to fanny'ing aboot with it and post up my end results.

cheers,
breeze

Last edited:
Disregard most of what I just said. I'm a complete fucking schmuck. I went back and re-read my halo manual....my memory is now officially shorter than my cock. No crushwashers, only peel's, crooked alignments....yada yada yada.

Thanks again for your time guys..............
southschmucklebrain signing off

TROS, or Tornado Technologies can probably make what you want. I just had my barrels threaded, and use a NATO spec 22mm FS, does not have to be an A2/A1, but it does have to have at least 3 threads engaged on the unit. A bit about Rocksett, you don't absolutely have to use it. I love my HALO, but hate the POI shift using it, though it is very consistant. You do need some room behind the FS that can be no larger than .750 to get the coupler on.

Years ago I saw a post where a guy had his muzzle machined to the OD of a NATO-spec flash hider with a groove for the HALO. I can't remember who did the work, but it looked great. He got the proper dimensions from Gemtech, and it was said to be more rigid than the flash hider set up.

TROS, or Tornado Technologies can probably make what you want. I just had my barrels threaded, and use a NATO spec 22mm FS, does not have to be an A2/A1, but it does have to have at least 3 threads engaged on the unit. A bit about Rocksett, you don't absolutely have to use it. I love my HALO, but hate the POI shift using it, though it is very consistant. You do need some room behind the FS that can be no larger than .750 to get the coupler on.

Yepper, that's where I first discovered that all rigs are not created equal. I looked at installing it on the the good lady's bushy carbon15 and i couldn't get the coupler behind the flashhider.....which is what had going down the road of a short adapter maybe 3/4" long x .750 diameter, threaded in 1/2-28 . I could then install some sort of nato flash hider on it. I would then have an "adapter" that could shift among host weapons.

Still might, or I'll just install 3 peel washers behind a A1/A2 flashider and call it a day.

Thanks again guys,
Breeze

Rog-O on the rocksett, but some margin of safety and it's easy to break loose once wetted. The damn halo is built like a tank, I couldn't believe the poi shift when I first put it on my m4 clone. At a 100 yards it was like 4 " low.....first two times I shot it I pulled the damn scope off thinking I had a p.o.s. scope. The second time I almost threw the damn gun at the 'yote that I misse three shots in a row. Now my Heavy barrel'd 20" service rifle, no where near as bad a poi shift....But free hand shooting thing feel like I have a brick hanging off the end of the gun.

Last edited:
Years ago I saw a post where a guy had his muzzle machined to the OD of a NATO-spec flash hider with a groove for the HALO. I can't remember who did the work, but it looked great. He got the proper dimensions from Gemtech, and it was said to be more rigid than the flash hider set up.

I have done stuff like that, but you obviously need the muzzle to be at least 0.875" to accomplish that.

Here is an integrated Troy mount on a 300Whisper barrel I did years ago:
300x221-troy.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that is a thing of beauty! I have real respect for you guys that can work magic on those lathes. I've got two fluted uppers, 1 dpms 204 and another homemade 223, that i'd love to be able to mount the halo on. I don't think we could pull that off on the existing barrels, with the fluting so close to the end. But I'll snatch a barrel off and ship it too you in a heart beat.

What about a savage 10fp, shit I need to get home and start measuring some barrel ends!

I'll give you a shout when I get home, in Trinidad now; just got off the rig and flying home tomorrow.

Cheers,
Breeze

Last edited: