• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to mount a night vision without helmet?

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi All,
I am a sikh and usually wear a turban on my head. I was looking to find some kind of solution which I can use to use nv/thermal without using a helmet on my head. Is there some kind of harness available (similar to one that go pro provides) which can go on my head and also hold the nv/thermal? I can always put a thermal scope, but prefer to have the flexibility of mounting something over my head. Any guidance is highly appreciated.

thanks
harjeet

IMG_4740.jpg

this is super helpful...thanks for the suggestions

you gotta be shitting me.... :ROFLMAO::eek: tagged for popcorn

What is popcorn worthy?

Sounds like a legit question for a novel problem.

Beats the same old "Mil vs MOA" question.

Sikhs are the NCO backbone of the Indian Army and will fight to the death for their beliefs yet leave others to theirs......except maybe our common enemy.

How do Sikhs in the Indian Army approach that issue?

Last edited:
How do Sikhs in the Indian Army approach that issue?

Hi,

In their "normal" military branches/units they wear something very similar to the skull crusher unit linked above.

In some of the "special" military units such as:
MARCOS
COBRA
SPG
NSG

They operate with the religious exemption of "For the Betterment of India" type clauses.

Sincerely,
Theis

First thought I had was a Crye Nightcap. It's basically a heavy duty purpose built 'ball cap' with the bill cut off.

Could you get that on your head and then have the turban over it?

Only problem I'd see is in the front where the mount attaches may make the front of the turban tilt/stick up, but I'm sure you could just do some kind of modified wrapping for it, for it to work.

You could then have your regular turban, and a special one you use. Then when people ask why, you can tell them that its your nightvision turban.

Lol I shit you not my comment was meant as a “why don’t you just use a helmet and take the turban off while gooning” nothing more nothing less.

When we live in an age when people are not even willing to acknowledge biology and the relations of XX, XY chromosomes.......

I have a lot of respect for someone that will go so far as to seek (no pun intended) a solution to the requirement he maintain his chosen headgear while seeking bullseyes in the dark.

Skull crusher may be your best option.

I use a crye nightcap over a beanie, etc but not sure if you can expand it out enough to accommodate your turban.

@Eliteuas why was this funny to you? You’re the only one clowning here.

The man comes to ask a serious question and you tried to make it a joke and failed.

Just apologize to the man and head out if you don’t have anything constructive to say.

Reactions: Eliteuas
Op the crye night cap is good for what it is and its fairly cheap. I wouldn't try to run more than a single tube on it though. Crye also sells little pouches for the back you can put counter weights in. Both together is only around 100$. I think they only make one size and I've read people who have gaint noggins have problems with it. I haven't done on mine yet but people put a second strap down low in back and this supposedly makes it more stable. There's pics online.

Reactions: harry_x1
Skull crusher may be your best option.

I use a crye nightcap over a beanie, etc but not sure if you can expand it out enough to accommodate your turban.

I'd assumed he was going to wear it under but he didn't specify. Nightcaps run a little small so I don't know if it would work over.

Op is the turban a set piece or are lesser amounts of cloth acceptable for what is essentially military training?

Op the crye night cap is good for what it is and its fairly cheap. I wouldn't try to run more than a single tube on it though. Crye also sells little pouches for the back you can put counter weights in. Both together is only around 100$. I think they only make one size and I've read people who have gaint noggins have problems with it. I haven't done on mine yet but people put a second strap down low in back and this supposedly makes it more stable. There's pics online.
I run Dual 14's on a Crye NightCap. It aint perfect like a helmet, but quite doable with the correct counter weight.

I'd assumed he was going to wear it under but he didn't specify. Nightcaps run a little small so I don't know if it would work over.

Op is the turban a set piece or are lesser amounts of cloth acceptable for what is essentially military training?
Not a Sikh so I might be getting this all wrong, but I thought the main religious thing for them was to not cut their hair and have it covered when out in public. So I would have assumed some kind of tight head scarf (rather than a turban) with the nightcap would function while not breaking some Sikh taboo. Not sure why a helmet is a no go using the same method, maybe it just doesn't fit right with all that hair. Maybe the OPer will explain it all.

I will also suggest the Crye Nightcap. You could possibly run the mount between the wraps..

Not a Sikh so I might be getting this all wrong, but I thought the main religious thing for them was to not cut their hair and have it covered when out in public. So I would have assumed some kind of tight head scarf (rather than a turban) with the nightcap would function while not breaking some Sikh taboo. Not sure why a helmet is a no go using the same method, maybe it just doesn't fit right with all that hair. Maybe the OPer will explain it all.

I have seen images of Sikh men wearing the equivalent of a "Doo Rag" and I assume it meets their religous obligations at a time of need.

I think finding a solution to this matter is achievable than we can move on to "When in the prone, how can I keep my Kirpan from piercing my privates?"

Gotta respect a religion that requires you be armed 100 percent of the time.

Thanks to all those who shared their knowledge, advice and experience. I feel bad for @eliteusa. Think he was just making a joke out of his ignorance and not any malice. One cannot be offended by things said out of ignorance, malice is a different deal. It is very gentlemanly of him, to have apologized (there was not any need though).

Why do Sikhs Wear Turbans- It is true that our 10th Guru only made five things compulsory and turban is not one of them. Long Hair, Weapons/Arms, A comb, a Steel bracelet and a long Underwear. All these things (called 'kakaars') are symbolic and not linked to our spirtual path/quest. At end of 17th century, all minorities were going through persecution at the hands of a zealot islamic ruler, who had banned non muslims from carrying arms or wearing a turban or growing facial hair. The 10th Guru ordered Sikhs to do the exact opposite as mark of defiance and individual sovereignty. He ordered us to keep long hair as a warrior looks brave and beautiful when in his natural state. In one battle, the sikh flag broke down and sikh fighters looked visibly disheartened. The Guru then asked one of the Sikhs to let a small end of this turban loose on this end, so that it can fly like a flag on his very head. Post that battle the guru ordered all Sikhs to always let loose a small portion of turban on top of their head, as a flag. Per him, each man is his own master and he is only subordinate to the one supreme creator. Turban, though already special in Punjabi culture, took religious significance from that day onwards. We Sikhs wear turbans as a mark of visibile definace, a reminder to the people in power, that here we are...we look different, small in number, we stand out, but we wont do your bidding. That is the reason, we try not to take turban off our heads, as far as possible and find innovative solutions around war equipment, while keeping turban intact.

Thanks again to all those who commented and shared their knowledge. I will share pics of the final solution. Hopefully it will look good. Love and respect.

Last edited:
Thanks to all those who shared their knowledge, advice and experience. I feel bad for @eliteusa. Think he was just making a joke out of his ignorance and not any malice. One cannot be offended by things said out of ignorance, malice is a different deal. It is very gentlemanly of him, to have apologized (there was not any need though).

Why do Sikhs Wear Turbans- It is true that our 10th Guru only made five things compulsory and turban is not one of them. Long Hair, Weapons/Arms, A comb, a Steel bracelet and a long Underwear. All these things (called 'kakaars') are symbolic and not linked to our spirtual path/quest. At end of 17th century, all minorities were going through persecution at the hands of a zealot islamic ruler, who had banned non muslims from carrying arms or wearing a turban or growing facial hair. The 10th Guru ordered Sikhs to do the exact opposite as mark of defiance and individual sovereignty. He ordered us to keep long hair as a warrior looks brave and beautiful when in his natural state. In one battle, the sikh flag broke down and sikh fighters looked visibly disheartened. The Guru then asked one of the Sikhs to let a small end of this turban loose on this end, so that it can fly like a flag on his very head. Post that battle the guru ordered all Sikhs to always let loose a small portion of turban on top of their head, as a flag. Per him, each man is his own master and he is only subordinate to the one supreme creator. Turban, though already special in Punjabi culture, took religious significance from that day onwards. We Sikhs wear turbans as a mark of visibile definace, a reminder to the people in power, that here we are...we look different, small in number, we stand out, but we wont do your bidding. That is the reason, we try not to take turban off our heads, as far as possible and find innovative solutions around war equipment, while keeping turban intact.

Thanks again to all those who commented and shared their knowledge. I will share pics of the final solution. Hopefully it will look good. Love and respect.

Was in New Hampshire this weekend and there was a family sitting nearby that follow the Sikh religion.

My dumbass 13 yo son made a stupid move of putting his napkin around his head and quickly was given a lesson and a bit of education. Its been given before, he knows I dont stand for that dumb shit.

I like your culture of defiance.......the flag imagery gives me good vibes because I follow the American Flag with that same zeal.

Out of sheer curiosity because the other items make sense. Why long underwear?

That is awesome. Thank you for the explanation of why it is worn. I always thought it looked absolutely fierce when worn in combat, now I have even higher respect for it.

Didn't the British military and maybe also the US military develop a special helmet or new turban for Sikh soldiers? I googled and came up empty...

Didn't the British military and maybe also the US military develop a special helmet or new turban for Sikh soldiers? I googled and came up empty...
I don't think so. I believe the understanding is that when a Sikh fights in the US Army that they use the current equipment and shave the beard for safety reasons (protective mask, helmet, etc).

I knew a Sikh Colonel (he was a medical doctor at the time) that wore his Colonel rank on his turban. He told us that if he goes to combat that he will shave.

I don't think things have changed, but who knows.

Reactions: Sinned
I don't think so. I believe the understanding is that when a Sikh fights in the US Army that they use the current equipment and shave the beard for safety reasons (protective mask, helmet, etc).

I knew a Sikh Colonel (he was a medical doctor at the time) that wore his Colonel rank on his turban. He told us that if he goes to combat that he will shave.

I don't think things have changed, but who knows.

Not sure about combat zones specifically, but the Army and Air Force have both given religious exemptions for hair length, beard, and turban for observant Sikhs.

Not sure about combat zones specifically, but the Army and Air Force have both given religious exemptions for hair length, beard, and turban for observant Sikhs.
and also for Vikings now. You also had the wiccans that would dance around naked in the moonlight