• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to not "shoulder" a rifle

at4rxj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I just watched a youtube video by SHLowlight recommended in another post showing how to load a bipod.

After the first part he talks about shooting strong side, and pulling the bag to not "shoulder" the gun. What does this mean? Is it just pulling the bag to place the butt against your shoulder?
What I don't understand is how do you keep the rifle from sliding off the rear bag without the recoil killing your shoulder? Would you do this differently on say a 308 or AR than you would on a 300 or 338?

Thanks in advance!

Link to video on YouTube

Re: How to not "shoulder" a rifle

Nope, I do it with any caliber and managing the recoil the same.

We have lessons in this in the Online Training where we go into much more detail, and Jacob in the lesson shoots one of this Weatherby Magnum hunting rifles, like they ones used for elephants.

Proper position, straight back, works the same for any caliber, .50 on down.

You have to have your shoulders square, like a linebacker and not angled, because recoil will exploit the angle. The rear bag is just a place for the rifle stock to rest, but I also use my support hand to support the rear bag.

The videos on youtube are incomplete for lack of a better word, the complete lessons are in the online training on here. We have over 40 videos that go into details on how to properly address and drive the rifle correctly. Especially recoil management.

Thanks for the quick response. I think I see what you're saying, but I'll look for the online training you referenced.

Thanks again!

If you load the bipod properly there will be dead weight applying pressure forward against the stock through your shoulder. As opposed to pushing your shoulder forward into the stock consciously.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you load the bipod properly there will be dead weight applying pressure forward against the stock through your shoulder. As opposed to pushing your shoulder forward into the stock consciously.
</div></div>

Dead weight is the key, not loaded muscle....hard for many to grasp.

Thanks guys. The "dead weight" approach to shouldering the rifle and loading the bipod sounds good and intuitive to me. I'll work on this my next trip to the range. Hopefully this will help to smooth out my inconsistencies driving the rifle.

NPA and proper loading and position are key. I recommend the online training videos, they go into it in detail in the early lessons

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you load the bipod properly there will be dead weight applying pressure forward against the stock through your shoulder. As opposed to pushing your shoulder forward into the stock consciously.
</div></div>

Dead weight is the key, not loaded muscle....hard for many to grasp. </div></div>

Guilty of this for sure, as well as many other things the more I read on here.
I have made up my mind, I am paying for the online training this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J--ROD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you load the bipod properly there will be dead weight applying pressure forward against the stock through your shoulder. As opposed to pushing your shoulder forward into the stock consciously.
</div></div>

Dead weight is the key, not loaded muscle....hard for many to grasp. </div></div>

Guilty of this for sure, as well as many other things the more I read on here.
I have made up my mind, I am paying for the online training this weekend. </div></div>

+1 for this guy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you load the bipod properly there will be dead weight applying pressure forward against the stock through your shoulder. As opposed to pushing your shoulder forward into the stock consciously.
</div></div>

Dead weight is the key, not loaded muscle....hard for many to grasp.</div></div>

My problem is that I grasp it just fine, but have a hard time in practice putting my body behind the rifle in such a way that I'm leaning into the butt, loading up the bipod... It seems that my elbows are supporting the weight of my torso up off of the ground, and trying to relax things just means I'm going limp behind the rifle without that dead weight pushing forward properly. Were the rifle almost literally on the ground it would be fine, but that low my neck is in agony, and it's nearly impossible to properly elevate the muzzle onto target. All of which is assuming the Harris feet don't just go sliding off away from me when the weight is applied...

you don't need to place so much pressure into the rifle that the bipod starts creeping fwd just enough to feel the rifle start to push back. I do this by getting in the best position possible then just pushing my whole body fwd with my toes (kinda in the same way you would skull dragging). You could also just put a pack, range bag, etc in front of the bipods to help keep it in place.

Get settled, then keep the position but lift your chest using your lower back, draw the rifle in a little, then relax. You will drop dead weight forward on the stock. Experiment till you achieve the desired pressure.

After reading this I know Im doing alot wrong. Im new to precision shooting and have only done a little bipod shooting so it sounds like I could really benefit from the online training so I dont build up the wrong habbits then have scars later when I have to retrain myself.

Many thanks to LawnMM, Forecon & Tripwire for your excellent advice. Monday afternoon I practiced "dead weight" loading of the bipod/shoulder with ~100 rounds of 22LR (hopefully enough repetition to begin breaking some bad habits), moved on to the .223 and was rewarded with my best ever 5 shot group @ 300 yards: 1.5 inches (0.5MOA) - all 5 shots in the 3-inch bullseye averaging 1 inch high.

It's a great feeling to know that I'm practicing (some of) the right things, and getting measurable results. Both my position with the rifle and follow through feel better and more consistent.

I too can see the online training in my future (after my son graduates high school this May and I have more spare time). I'm sure the training will be $ & time well spent.

So, I read through this thread last week. Took some good info back from it. I went to the range on Sunday. (I've never sat square behind the rifle before) I squared up behind my .338LM, rattled off 25 rounds, all at around 500... I could see every hit. That's a new one for me... That's the good part, I did notice I was experiancing a bit more recoil, but my rifle wasn't exploiting my poor body position. Thanks for all this great info.

Couple of things from my troubleshooting:

1 - I shoot almost entirely by myself. Straight behind the rifle can be difficult to judge.

2 - Bipod loading is difficult when the bipod won't grip the surfaces. I've shot on concrete, which is terrible for me. This was with the stock R700 chassis and a Harris bipod. The angle on the fore end of the stock meant that the legs were angled forward and wouldn't engage the full flat of the bottom of the rubber pads.

With a flat bottom to mount to, this has been less a problem. I've also started taking positions in fields instead of my normal range to let the feet sink into the soft dirt. That helps a lot.