• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to prepare for a "practical" rifle class

cliffy110

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2020
I realize this forum is more about precision shooting but I thought I'd post this here. There may be some crossover between "practical" rifle classes and precision rifle classes that might help some people better prepare for your class. My background is with scout and "practical" rifles and not so much precision or sniper rifles.

I've shown this to various instructors and the general consensus is that if students showed up to class prepared the way I describe, the classes would go MUCH better. One instructor said he's going to include a link to the blog and video with his preparation packet.

Let me know what you think.

http://cliffy109.blogspot.com/2021/02/how-to-prepare-for-scout-rifle-class.html

Reactions: WRW1AE
I'm glad that your preparations didn't include a bunch of "be able to slay these drills under such and such par time"

I often see that kind of question from people going to a class (usually for the first time). It's training, not a demonstration of your skills.

No one is ever labelled "That Guy" because they weren't shit hot on every drill. They become "That Guy" because they're douches, can't follow simple directions, or are just unsafe.

I'm glad that your preparations didn't include a bunch of "be able to slay these drills under such and such par time"

I often see that kind of question from people going to a class (usually for the first time). It's training, not a demonstration of your skills.

No one is ever labelled "That Guy" because they weren't shit hot on every drill. They become "That Guy" because they're douches, can't follow simple directions, or are just unsafe.

Yup... and maybe it is different with the scout/practical rifle training but I haven't seen a lot of that in these classes. There is some competition and introducing a timer does change things but most the guys at the classes are not overly consumed by ego like I've seen at other types of training.

My goal of the video and blog were to help guys prepare for something that there just isn't a lot of discussion about. I've seen a lot of guys miss out on valuable training time because they were not properly prepared. If you're taking things seriously enough to take a class, make the most of it by being prepared mentally, physically and with your equipment.

Reactions: 308pirate