• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to pull shell after head separation?

Re: How to pull shell after head separation?

jam a .45 cal bronze cleaning brush into the stuck case remnants and then pull it out. it should come right out.

caseheadseperation.jpg

I keep a Garand case extractor tool handy, works for many .30 cal cases.

When brought into the shop I run a patch in from the muzzle to just in front of the chamber, use cerosafe as if doing a chambe cast, and then push it out. Takes about 10 minutes

i have seen a few of them and done one myself with a .45 bronze brush. most people already have a .45 cal brush laying around. it is free or near free so i'd give that a try before spending money or sending it to someone. the bronze bristles grab it nicely. takes about 10 seconds
grin.gif

I know I'll get flamed for this, but it is the most common solution at rifle matches:
Put a new round in the chamber, push the bolt forward until you feel a bit of resistance, and then pull the bolt back out. 90% of the time the broken case comes out with the new round.

If the above doesn't work run a NEW bore brush in from the muzzle
(be careful to keep the rod centered as it enters the muzzle). The brush push the case out.

If you aren't confident in doing it yourself take it to a competent gunsmith. I saw a brand new Krieger barrel ruined by a "gunsmith" that was on one of the military trucks at Camp Perry. Some people shouldn't be around rifles with tools.

I've used the .45 bronze brush myself on two occasions, worked great.

Note to self:
-put a new 45 bronze brush and long enough piece of rod in pack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Note to self:
-put a new 45 bronze brush and long enough piece of rod in pack. </div></div>

a pistol length rod should be good enough. you just need to get it to the case body from the receiver end. the brush wedges against the case wall when you change directions from pushing it forward to pulling it back out.

That's what I figured, just gotta check which one of the few I have laying around here somewhere will fit the bill best!
I love picking up the great tips before I need them!

been there done that, 300wm

get a pack of those green plastic thing to put in the wall that spread out when you put a srew in them, get some ? 4" screws. put srew in plastic a little way, insert into stuck case, use needlenose or srewdriver through ejection port to pop it back.

CHEAP!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's what I figured, just gotta check which one of the few I have laying around here somewhere will fit the bill best!
I love picking up the great tips before I need them! </div></div>

i wish i knew about it when i was on the line during a match, not when i got home.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wish i knew about it when i was on the line during a match, not when i got home. </div></div>

But what a great tip to pass along.

Thank you!