• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How to remove bases!! Pete Lincoln!! Any help

palle2612

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2008
Denmark. Thats Europe
Finally I got my new 40 moa bases from Tac Ops...
Now before I go on removing my current 1 piece picatinny 20 moa base, what work effort can I expect. I saw that Pete Lincoln put some kind of past on before mounting it..
Any idear of how I get it of, it's aluminum, will it break if I put too much effort in it??

Any help appreciated..

Re: How to remove bases!!

Sounds like locktite, make damn sure you use the proper tool to loosen the screws or you'll strip the heads.

Use a good bit that fits properly. If needed put some heat to screws with soldering iron if needed to loosen any locktite used. The iron shouldn't get hot enough to hurt any of the metel so don't worry about holding it on the screws for a while.

I only say shouldn't because I have found anything is possible after working with miners for a few years. They can break an anvil with a glass spoon.

+1 on the advice already given and don't forget, "righty tighty, lefty loosey"
wink.gif

Been wondering the same thing. I have a base that's beeen expoxied in and the screws have some red loctite on it. At what temp would mounting screws or the mount/receiver be damaged at?? I have a micro torch/soldering iron tip that gets to about 1000 deg F. Is that too hot? My common sense would say no, but I've been known to be wrong before!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been wondering the same thing. I have a base that's beeen expoxied in and the screws have some red loctite on it. At what temp would mounting screws or the mount/receiver be damaged at?? I have a micro torch/soldering iron tip that gets to about 1000 deg F. Is that too hot? My common sense would say no, but I've been known to be wrong before! </div></div>

WOW, didn't want that sucker coming off now did we!
laugh.gif

heat it a little,then try,heat again in short sessions until you get the red lock tite to break free,not to much at once.not a gun smith but i did stay at a holiday inn express last.

well, I didn't do the mounting....but I have heard of some guys using epoxy without release agent on their mounts...