• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to remove camo film dipped crap?

Tony.

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2004
Los Angeles / Phoenix
I am thinking about getting one of those new Remington R-25 (DPMS) .308 gas guns. I guess the Remington lawyers think they look less evil if they are dipped in that camo film crap.

I plan on Duracoating the rifle. I will replace the stock, grip and handguards, so I am not worried about them. What would be the best way to remove the camo film from the receiver? I would think blasting could damage the anodizing. Brake cleaner? Paint stripper?

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/Model_R-25.asp

Re: How to remove camo film dipped crap?

just attack it with sandpaper. go from 100-150 grit all the way up till you think youve got it good, hit it with the duracoat, youre gonna end up sanding anyway. im assuming that dipped stuff is on there pretty good, never actually handled one before.

"beauty is in the eye of the beer holder" or something like that. its only crap if you dont like it. one mans trash, you know?

More just personal preference. I prefer the duracoat look as opposed to the film dipped stuff.

I have used paint thinner to remove the "dipped finish". I was amazed how easy it was to remove with simply thinner and a rag. It will take it down to the primer they use before dipping.