• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to remove cerakote/duracoat

txgunnertx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
weatherford tx
I need to remove some off of a barrel I bought and didn't know if there is something special for it, or if sandblasting would work. Thanks.

Re: How to remove cerakote/duracoat

I read that to redo it you had to remove the first layer. It said that another coat would not cure over an old layer. Is this wrong? I do not know anything about this stuff.

if i wasn't the one that applied the original finish, i'd abrasive blast it off and start over if i wanted to apply a new finish.

I bought a barrel that is green and want to do the barrel and action in matte black. So is there any special stuff to put in the sand blaster, I have it. Do I just use regular sand or do I get some bead blasting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if i wasn't the one that applied the original finish, i'd abrasive blast it off and start over if i wanted to apply a new finish. </div></div>

I agree with this, that includes the blasted finish. I think for duracoat and cerakote, glass beads is not enough for good adhesion. Check what they recommend and get that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txgunnertx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a barrel that is green and want to do the barrel and action in matte black. So is there any special stuff to put in the sand blaster, I have it. Do I just use regular sand or do I get some bead blasting? </div></div>

the media used is going to depend on the finish you plan on applying. i use 70 grit aluminum oxide before i apply moly-resin and have no reason to try anything else. i think people are using finer ao for cerakote but i haven't messed with it so can't give first hand knowledge on the matter. i don't think glass beads give enough "bite" for any of the spray on finishes. i'd check with the finish manufacture for blast media recommendations.

Glass beads do not give any tooth. They actually burnish or seal the surface. For Cerakote 100-120 Aluminum Oxide or Garnet gives the proper surface profile. To rough and the coating will not cover the peaks. (leads to rust) To fine and it can't get enough grip. (Leads to chipping) Just right and the stuff is a wonder.

If you short cut the surface prep don't expect much. It will look good for awhile but when pushed it will let you down. The applicators guide is available for download on NIC's site.

Lauer (duracoat) recommends 120 aluminum oxide for blasting I do believe. Probably would be real simple to just look at the website of the brand that you plan on using and read what they recommend. That would probably solve your problem very easily. I've read that a lot if things will remove it, but never tried so no idea really. That's why I go straight to the source when ever possible. Good luck