• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How to remove stripped screws on bases

tlfw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2007
Texas
I have some bases on an action I want removed. I don't know if they were installed with lock-tite or just natures rust that has prevented the screws from coming undone. While trying to remove the screws, they have become stripped. These were alan #8 screws. Any ideas on how to go about removing the stripped screws?

Thanks.

Re: How to remove stripped screws on bases

stripped head right? if so, the only thing i've ever done is drill out the head, pull off the base, and then clamp onto the screw with needle nose vice grips..... of course, my gunsmithing methods are pretty crude! lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stripped head right? if so, the only thing i've ever done is drill out the head, pull off the base, and then clamp onto the screw with needle nose vice grips..... of course, my gunsmithing methods are pretty crude! lol </div></div>

+1

Had to do this not to long ago and this is "Precision" way I did it as well !! LOL

Someone just posted week before last about this same thing. There are a lot of good hints about the left handed tools at Home Depot. Personally I would start with an "Easy Out". Then try a sharp center punch in a counter clock wise direction. Then go buy the right tools at Home Depot. Who ever it was said that a small kit of 4 to 6 small left handed drills was less than $30.

i have had good luck with grabit screw extractors. the screw usually comes out with just the reverse drill end of the tool.

These screws sound loctited,and most people think red is best!

As long as only the socket in the head is stripped, this should be easy.

STOP!

Doesn't cost us anything to figure this out.

The more messed up it gets trying, the harder it is to fix.

TC

Before drilling and EZ-out, try tapping a Torx bit into the stripped allen socket.

I recently had this same problem and was setting the action into the drill press vise when I saw a Torx bit and tried it before drilling. A few light taps with the hammer to seat the Torx bit and screw came right out with no stripping.

Your results may vary depending on loc-tite.

First get a mirror look in the action see if you see locktite.If not use a magnify glass and look for same red locktite...If none visable use KROIL OIL on the screws let it seep for a few minutes.Try the torx bit first if not and the kroil has not loosend the screw light heat maybe applied to loosen the locktite.The only thinner that will loosen locktite is acetone.The problem comes when the locktite and the metal screw bond into the threads it will be extremely hard to loosen.you might even damage the tread in the action.Do not try easy out you will screw it up with the wrong easyout and drill.That only works on a screw not locktited and if you break the easyout in the screw your screwed.Best to not use power tools yet.Snapon makes the best socket headed easyouts.If it is locktited in drilling will remove the screw, IMHO if you can drill and not oversize the hole hard to do with a hand drill and it must be smaller than the diameter of the screw.Some heat applied to the base and screws will melt the locktite.This is if it is not rusted trust me kroil will loosen any screw rusted in it creeps in and works in a millionth of an inch...Disimilar metals corroide each other Kroil will work .....Good luck

The best way I have found to apply heat to just the right area, and not ruin the finish, is with an electric soldering iron.
YMMV, Rob

Berreta and Rob are on the right track.

Just drilling a hole, and pounding an easy-out in it, will make it tighter.

I use PB-Blaster.
lighter than Kroil, but heavier than Liquid Wrench.

If you think there is a chance you may slip with hand drill, don't.

Personaly, I would mount in mill, apply heat, add oil, and try the torx bit idea.

Lightly tapping torx in after heating with oil, should help to break bond of loctite.

Loctites also contain super-glue.

Where do we go from here?

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It'll be alot easier to center drill a hole while the existing allen head is attached just in case you need to use an easy out later!! After you have a small hole drilled it is easier to make it bigger later. Then remove the head via a larger bit and if it don't move add some heat. If it is not loctited the drilled hole may relieve enough pressure for it to come out. If not you can continue drilling until you've removed all but the threads of the old screw. Then use a tap to hopefully remove the remaining pieces. </div></div>

+1

If it wont easily come out by other mentioned methods, this would be the end all. Drilling it out. A mill or good drill press would be needed. Do not try it by hand.

You make a good point, I was seeing what I have seen in the past.
SHCS. Just the wrench socket messed up.
Leaving the head will give something to use for turning, after drilling out center of the screw, all the way through-.015/.025 below minor.

Soldering iron for heat.

The splined shaft style of extractors distort the screw less than than tapered square ones.3

Left handed driils for all holes would make it even better!
Screw may break free and come running out of the hole at the pitch!

What tolerances are you guy's used to milling daily?

What Victor said. I bought a small kit from Sears and went to town. I was able to remove the screw without damaging any receiver threads. Go slow and take your time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone just posted week before last about this same thing. There are a lot of good hints about the left handed tools at Home Depot. Personally I would start with an "Easy Out". Then try a sharp center punch in a counter clock wise direction. Then go buy the right tools at Home Depot. Who ever it was said that a small kit of 4 to 6 small left handed drills was less than $30. </div></div>

I was able to remove 2 screws (one on front base and one on rear) with drilling a small 5/64" hole then using the reverse thread screw removal bit. However the 5/64" bit broke inside on one of the other allan screws. I was able to use a bigger bit real slow on my drill press and make sure I didn't over penetrate the base into the action. I was able to remove the bases. I still have two screw shanks inside the action. Now without heads. The good news is I can clearly see what I'm working on, the bad news is there is little room for error. I was able to use a dentist pick and get the broken bit out of the one screw shank. I am planning on buying a series of bits that are increasing in size and see if I can't penetrate the screw shank. Then increase the size of the hole ever so slighly until I can get the smallest screw removal bit to work.

I know I have made a mess up to this point, but I have been patient and haven't messed up the action threads for the bases. This is the only thing I'm worried about. Breaking drill bits don't make the job easier.

Thanks for the help guys. If I can't get this job done this weekend...I'm going to have to take the hit to the pocket book and pay a professional. I'm hoping I can call no glory before I make it so even they can't fix it.

I'd ask for help from someone with a good mill. They'd know how to get it out, with a mill bit probably. It wouldnt cost much, compared to messing up the threads.
You said they are already #8?

Oh and what kind of drill bit is broken off in there? How much broke off?

Yeah #8s. I'll double check, but I think the broken bit piece is out of the screw shank. If I knew of someone that had a mill, I'd pay them.

I was able to extract the 2 screw shanks without messing up threads. Note to self...use good drill bits for a job like this in the future. I was able to use a 1/16" bit and punch thru the center and then carefully use the reverse thread screw extractor bit to remove the shanks.

Thanks for the help fellas. Much appreciated.