• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors How to remove stubborn carbon?

smokinbobf4

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
So I have about 80 rounds through my new varminter 4.0 and I was able to get 4 of the 8 baffles clean soaking in hoppes bore cleaner. 4 of them still have some stuck on them. I do not have an ultra sonic cleaner to try as I have seen some recommendations of that. I ordered some slip 2000 carbon remover that should be here today to try. Anyone else have any other good ideas for it? I have scrubber with a stiff nylon brush and been soaking for about 4 days now. Are people getting them close to clean or spotless. This is my first suppressor so I would appreciate any input. Thank you

Reactions: Brettmparker1
Can you post some pictures?
This is the all titanium Varminter from Silencer Central in South Dakota, right?

50/50 mix of Hydrogen Peroxide and White Vinegar. "The Dip"

use gloves as its a toxic mix once carbon is introduced.

Also, unless this is a rimfire/pistol can, dont worry about cleaning it.

This is what 4 of them look like. I just cleaned it because the manufacturer recommends after 60 rounds. That seems a bit excessive to me but I figured I would try it.

Attachments

• 6466E752-0593-41B4-8E6D-892C0FB3539F.jpeg
    6466E752-0593-41B4-8E6D-892C0FB3539F.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 2A2BC231-7153-4B02-8917-421B3DA8148C.jpeg
    2A2BC231-7153-4B02-8917-421B3DA8148C.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 58
My slip 2000 showed up today and really did a good job of the extra carbon after only a 30 minute soak. I guess I know what to use from now on!

Reactions: DIBBS
Also, unless this is a rimfire/pistol can, dont worry about cleaning it.

My Harvester weighs 6oz over new, and there is a thread from TBAC here that shows one being 10.5oz heavier. Both are centerfire rifle suppressors. They need to be cleaned periodically, and powder choice also has a role in how fast carbon becomes an issue.

I've found RL16 and Superformance to be some of the worst for carbon.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
CLR soak overnight and it will come off with a q-tip. CLR will damage finishes though, like nitride etc. If your parts are raw finish titanium, no problem. I use this on my TB 22 Takedown

CLR soak overnight and it will come off with a q-tip. CLR will damage finishes though, like nitride etc. If your parts are raw finish titanium, no problem. I use this on my TB 22 Takedown
what about cerakote?

what about cerakote?
Anything that you’re worried about it damaging, just don’t leave it on for any longer than necessary. I’ve actually used it to cut stubborn carbon rings in the throat of a couple rifles, it does a great job, just have to be sure to douche the shiz out of it with action cleaner or something along those lines.

I use this for stubborn carbon deposits:
3f9835f6-0548-4638-b4dc-89fec38d163b_400.jpg
soak a mop, apply and let it soak in a bit then brush it out.
Can get it at home depot.

I used CLR on my SiCo Omega and SilencerTech X. I used a plastic Pringles container and let them sit vertically in the CLR for 24 to 36 hours. Chunks of carbon came pouring out when I flushed then with hot water. No damage to the finish on the Omega, but the SilencerTech lost all its finish. A few coats of high temp paint and it looks like it's new.

20191001_062120.jpg

Have any of you tried Seafoam? It's available in spray or just pourable liquid.

I've used it for years to remove carbon from 2 stroke engines. It's perfectly safe for the cylinders and haven't seen any damage to the paint.

You can buy it at any auto parts store or places like Wallyworld if you happen to shop there.
It works best if the parts are warm, so the internals could be placed in the sun for 30 minutes or so.