• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to replace Savage firing pin?

GSPKurt

III
Minuteman
May 19, 2009
Trenton, FL.
I loaded some .308 last week for a range trip with 155 Nosler Custom Comps over 48.0 gr. of 8208XBR which is 1.0 gr under max according to Hodgdon's Annual Manual. I got 3 blown primers in a row, so I quit shooting and pulled all the loads. Today I was shooting 45.0 gr. of 8208XBR and, although I am getting primer strikes, the primers are not detonating. I think I may have broken or damaged my firing pin. Has anyone ever replaced a firing pin in a Savage bolt?

Last edited:
Its really simple. Go to Savageshooters.com and they have and look at the FAQ section or even easier, there is a video of doing it out there on Youtube.

not really related but 45 grains of 8208XBR is probably what you want to work up to, not start off at (for when you do fix your firing pin), I worked up to 45 grains and settled on 44.6 grains of 8208XBR with 155 grain amaxs and I get amazing accuracy. any higher than 44.8 and i get signs of pressure/blown primers. just something to think about

A tip--iffin you're adjusting protrusion, use wire strippers to grab and pull down on the spring...the kind that has the wire strippers on the handle side of the hinge, and crimpers at the distal end. Allen wrench is 6mm I believe.

You may not need to replace the firing pin, just remove it and clean it and the bolt pin. You may have just gotten fod in the firing pin hole of the bolt head from the blown primers.

not really related but 45 grains of 8208XBR is probably what you want to work up to, not start off at (for when you do fix your firing pin), I worked up to 45 grains and settled on 44.6 grains of 8208XBR with 155 grain amaxs and I get amazing accuracy. any higher than 44.8 and i get signs of pressure/blown primers. just something to think about

Thanks for this info. The Annual Manual shows 45.0 as less than the starting charge.

48gr of 8208 seems like it would be a hot load...

Thanks for this info. The Annual Manual shows 45.0 as less than the starting charge.

must be a misprint- Hodgdon's online reloading data center quotes 41.0 grains as a starting point and 45.3 as a max

hodgdon_zpsda827b03.png

I found my error. The pages stuck together and I was looking at 30/06 load data... That could have been tragic.

Always check & reckeck load data.
I wondered why it took 3 blown primers before you stopped, 1 or 2 at most should of did it.
So about the firing pin what's the out come.
QL = 70000psi 48gr very hot load