• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing how to sandblast/alum oxide blast/eq needed

WCW308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2008
Central Idaho
I am considering getting the equipment to alum oxide blast-barrelled actions,
and other things like old radiators...I want to try duracoating some ss barrels etc. since I have air compressor, airbrush, etc. Also a cheap metal gun cabinet that would make a great paint cure oven, I think.

Can anyone tell me how-to and a source for buying this equipment, preferably used. I did a search on SH - maybe info is here but I cant find. I am in NW Connecticut. thanks...

Re: how to sandblast/alum oxide blast/eq needed

Try Harbor Freight or Northwest Industrial. Also, don't reuse the media that you blast rusty stuff with to blast the stainless steel guns...you'll set yourself up for rust under the finish. Your blast cabinet needs to be able to be emptied easily to allow you to segregate the media.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try Harbor Freight or Northwest Industrial. Also, don't reuse the media that you blast rusty stuff with to blast the stainless steel guns...you'll set yourself up for rust under the finish. Your blast cabinet needs to be able to be emptied easily to allow you to segregate the media. </div></div>

What he said- also might try craigslist for used cabinet- If buying media at harbor freight the 'experts' at my local store seem to love to recommend armex- this will clump in your machine and besides the mess it is a complete waste of $40 dollars to use in a cabinet. If you are blasting outside with no recovery it is great stuff..environmentally more desirable compared to other media.

Thanks- I will check out those sources & appreciate the info. Craigslist-good idea.
Gotta be a shop somewhere looking to sell a used set up.

I found that Northern Tool has a good selection of portable & sandblast cabinets...