• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to stake/rivet 15 round mag

BullGear

Huckleberry Dillinger
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2017
    Hazzard County
    I've got a few mags to a handgun I no longer own. My son does but he lives in CA. How do I legally restrict these mags to 10 rounds, so that I can ship them to my son?

• Haha
    Reactions: powdahound76
    There's a company that sells inserts for a number of mags to restrict them to 10, then you just glue/epoxy the floor plate on. The problem with riveting a handgun magazine is there may or may not be clearance to insert the new bump on the magazine into the gun

It may be easier overall to sell those and buy factory made 10 rounders.
    Not having experience gluing an insert in, you would need to shorten the spring.

Reactions: BullGear
    It may be easier overall to sell those and buy factory made 10 rounders.
    Not having experience gluing an insert in, you would need to shorten the spring.
    No you wouldn’t. The spring is designed to function in the mag with one round loaded all the way up to fully loaded. An insert that takes up the space of 5 rounds in a 15 round mag will not prevent the spring from operating as intended.

Reactions: BLEE and BullGear
    The magazine law in California is pretty much impossible to enforce or prosecute these days. After the whole "Freedom Week" (week long suspension of the magazine ban), there's no way for the State to establish when you purchased/obtained them.

I'm not openly saying to just send them to your son; just merely pointing out that there is no way that they can enforce that "law" these days. Besides, it looks highly likely that the magazine ban and "safe handgun roster" requirement are about to be tossed (rightly so) as unconstitutional.

Well, the Cali lawmakers inserted a clause prohibiting importing any "parts" that could be assembled into a restricted magazine....

They also have passed laws to allow minors to be molested by shemales

flat-rate-shipping-dp.jpg

Sorry my last post offered no substance.
    I did find after reading some, that riveting/dimpling is not preferred. You will most likely have to drill it out if you ever convert back to standard capacity.

I did find this picture I'll attach. This seems less permanent and is legal.
    Screenshot_20230301_202419_Reddit.jpg

• Love
    Reactions: acudaowner

Their FAQ page has the CA regs.

California

Penal Code section 16740 defines “large-capacity magazine” to mean any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

Proposed 12/16/2016 Subject: Emergency regulations regarding Large-Capacity Magazines https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regs

Prior proposed, but withdrawn by the DOJ, but does show they comsider MagazineBlocks limiters an acceptable method of conversion:

"§ 5491. Large-Capacity Magazine; capacity (a) Prior to July 1, 2017, large-capacity magazine permit holders may accept large-capacity magazines, as defined in Penal Code section 16740, from California residents for the purposes of permanently altering the magazine’s feeding device so that it reduces the capacity to 10 rounds or less. (b) Prior to July 1, 2017, an individual may dispose of a large-capacity magazine by permanently altering the magazine’s feeding device so that it reduces the capacity to 10 rounds or less. (1) A large-capacity magazine that is a box type can have its capacity permanently reduced by using both of the following methods:

(A) Inserting a rigid magazine capacity reduction device, also known as a magazine block, into the magazine body and then affixing the floor plate of the magazine to the body of the magazine with permanent epoxy. Metal magazines with metal floor plates have the option of being either welded closed or permanently epoxied closed once the magazine block(s) have been inserted. Due to magazine manufacturing variations (such as drum magazines or tubular magazines) it may be necessary to insert multiple magazine blocks in order to reduce the capacity to 10 rounds."

So I think the answer is... who knows?