• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to wildcat/shorten parent case?

clyancey

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2010
La Grande, OR & Snohomish, WA
Greetings.

My first obvious knowledge gap is this: if a guy wants to shorten a parent case approximate 0.300" what would be the recommended way?

Specifics:
-End Goal: shortened 300 Norma Mag 40 degree Improved (can have longer neck, just need shoulder neck junction shortened)
-Parent case 300 Norma Mag
-Push neck shoulder junction back approximately 0.300"; partially accomplished by unconventionally 40 degree improving (keeping same body length and increasing neck length as opposed to maintaining neck-shoulder junction and blowing out body & shoulder) and partially by shortening body.

Considerations:
-I have the AMP annealer and tools for length trimming and neck turning. I do not have an neck reaming tools, but have entertained picking them up if I attempt this project and they seem required (my first attempt would be to only turn the necks and avoid donut dangers by designing case & chamber so that bearing surface of the bullet is no where near the donut zone....hence the shortening of the parent case).
-I am already anticipating custom reamer, custom sizing die....not sure what route to take (Whidden custom from reamer print, Whidden custom from fired brass, some other die blank turned with my reamer?)

And in case I overlooked it, does an equivalent length magnum cartridge already exist (0.588 head, approximately 2.200"-2.300" case OAL, approximately 90gr H20 capacity)?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to share knowledge.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
Here is a good starting point.

1702451193715.png

Greetings.

My first obvious knowledge gap is this: if a guy wants to shorten a parent case approximate 0.300" what would be the recommended way?

Specifics:
-End Goal: shortened 300 Norma Mag 40 degree Improved (can have longer neck, just need shoulder neck junction shortened)
-Parent case 300 Norma Mag
-Push neck shoulder junction back approximately 0.300"; partially accomplished by unconventionally 40 degree improving (keeping same body length and increasing neck length as opposed to maintaining neck-shoulder junction and blowing out body & shoulder) and partially by shortening body.

Considerations:
-I have the AMP annealer and tools for length trimming and neck turning. I do not have an neck reaming tools, but have entertained picking them up if I attempt this project and they seem required (my first attempt would be to only turn the necks and avoid donut dangers by designing case & chamber so that bearing surface of the bullet is no where near the donut zone....hence the shortening of the parent case).
-I am already anticipating custom reamer, custom sizing die....not sure what route to take (Whidden custom from reamer print, Whidden custom from fired brass, some other die blank turned with my reamer?)

And in case I overlooked it, does an equivalent length magnum cartridge already exist (0.588 head, approximately 2.200"-2.300" case OAL, approximately 90gr H20 capacity)?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to share knowledge.
I can help you out with advise from a lot of years of die making and brass manipulation but this typing it all out sucks. Call me and I'll offer what I can. Just finished up a very similar 500 pc lot of just what you describe. Peterson brass, 37 + shoulder. Needs to be moved incrementally.
Alan

I'd be curious to hear about the steps involved in this also.

I'm also curious what the reason for shortening the case is like what is the goal?

OP,
You should seriously consider Mr. Warner’s offer. I doubt anyone knows more about the subject than him.
I can help you out with advise from a lot of years of die making and brass manipulation but this typing it all out sucks. Call me and I'll offer what I can. Just finished up a very similar 500 pc lot of just what you describe. Peterson brass, 37 + shoulder. Needs to be moved incrementally.
Alan