• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How to work up a load safely

2ndlegend

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2020
Hey guys, I've been reloading for a while, but I would still consider myself pretty new to reloading. My experience is what my dad taught me which was basically started the bottom work your way to a mid-range load and if it shoots under two inches at 100 yards you're good to go. Recently, though I have been starting to get more educated on the subject.
My question is what are the signs I should be looking for to know I am overpressure or in dangerous territory when working up a load. Some that I've seen already are ejector swipes, flattened or cratered primers, and hard bolt lift (not sure what that feels like). Is this what you experienced loaders are usually watching and how significant are these signs? If you have other things you watch what are they and what do you do if you notice pressure signs? Also do you ever go over the maximum load listed for that cartridge, bullet, and powder combination?
** this started because I have a few reloading books and the load data can sometimes vary to a large degree between companies, not to mention between specific bullet types, and specific rifles. **

Hey guys, I've been reloading for a while, but I would still consider myself pretty new to reloading. My experience is what my dad taught me which was basically started the bottom work your way to a mid-range load and if it shoots under two inches at 100 yards you're good to go. Recently, though I have been starting to get more educated on the subject.
My question is what are the signs I should be looking for to know I am overpressure or in dangerous territory when working up a load. Some that I've seen already are ejector swipes, flattened or cratered primers, and hard bolt lift (not sure what that feels like). Is this what you experienced loaders are usually watching and how significant are these signs? If you have other things you watch what are they and what do you do if you notice pressure signs? Also do you ever go over the maximum load listed for that cartridge, bullet, and powder combination?
** this started because I have a few reloading books and the load data can sometimes vary to a large degree between companies, not to mention between specific bullet types, and specific rifles. **

The recommendation I've often heard from those with a lot of experience is starting at about 10% below the maximum recommended charge. Then work up in increments, like .3 - .5 grs until you either find a good accurate load or have pressure signs. Though primer cratering and flattening can be a pressure sign, I find it sometime difficult to judge this effect, particularly on large rifle primers or cratering on small rifle primers that might have firing pin holes on the bolt a little to large (which often look like cratering when the primer material is flowing into the area around the firing pin). So, ejector swipe and hard bolt lift is what I pay particular attention to when getting up at the case capacity limits. Hard bolt lift is very noticeable and inspecting the cases as they are fired you can see swipe marks on the base.

I have gone over the maximum and in doing so have experienced definite pressure signs. However, I've also had loads that were over the max recommendation and not have any pressure signs. And it's not uncommon for competitive shooters to load their cartridges above the max recommendation. Max recommendation has a fudge factor and why getting a little over the max is often not much of a concern for many. However, one just needs to be very careful when doing so and be aware how temperature will increase pressure further to dangerous levels.

Since I play around with various powders and bullet combinations, I use QuickLoad app, which give a good idea of where I'm at with things like pressure and how far I might fill the cases. The app does NOT provide absolute information as there are so many variables that can change, but it gets me in pretty close and keeps me safe.

Reactions: 2ndlegend
Getting a chronograph and checking velocity is also a good way to get an idea if you are close or over the recommend pressure limit.

1. Stay away from the lands.
2. Use the same components your data is based on.
3. Don’t exceed book max.

The recommendation I've often heard from those with a lot of experience is starting at about 10% below the maximum recommended charge. Then work up in increments, like .3 - .5 grs until you either find a good accurate load or have pressure signs. Though primer cratering and flattening can be a pressure sign, I find it sometime difficult to judge this effect, particularly on large rifle primers or cratering on small rifle primers that might have firing pin holes on the bolt a little to large (which often look like cratering when the primer material is flowing into the area around the firing pin). So, ejector swipe and hard bolt lift is what I pay particular attention to when getting up at the case capacity limits. Hard bolt lift is very noticeable and inspecting the cases as they are fired you can see swipe marks on the base.

I have gone over the maximum and in doing so have experienced definite pressure signs. However, I've also had loads that were over the max recommendation and not have any pressure signs. And it's not uncommon for competitive shooters to load their cartridges above the max recommendation. Max recommendation has a fudge factor and why getting a little over the max is often not much of a concern for many. However, one just needs to be very careful when doing so and be aware how temperature will increase pressure further to dangerous levels.

Since I play around with various powders and bullet combinations, I use QuickLoad app, which give a good idea of where I'm at with things like pressure and how far I might fill the cases. The app does NOT provide absolute information as there are so many variables that can change, but it gets me in pretty close and keeps me safe.
^^^This

I do my research and find the range that most are loading to. I then start 1-2 grains BELOW the book or manufactures recommended LOW charge weight and load in 0.5 grain increments until I am at the high end of what others are loading using the same components and comparable barrels. With the bullets I use, I typically load 0.005-0.020 off the lands and start testing with the lowest charge weight and shoot one round at a time inspecting each case for ejector print/swipe while being aware of bolt lift and extraction. High pressure seldom exposes itself "all of the sudden", there are usually gradual signs indicating pressure is creeping up and if using/testing incremental charge weights you can detect pressure problems in their early stages. Once I start seeing pressure, I stop; go home and if there are ANY remaining rounds from the test of a higher charge weight, I immediately break them down.

Depending on what I saw/felt as pressure and temperature at the time of the test, I usually reduce that charge weight by 0.7 - 1.0 grains of powder and use that as my maximum charge weight when calculating by OCW; doing this keeps me safely away from pressure