• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How useful is the McMillian thumb screw cheek adjuster?

TacosGigante

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
VA
Looking into buying a stock and was curious how useful the McMillian thumb screw adjustable cheek piece is for dynamic adjustments (e.g. changing cheek height quickly when going into prone.)? I know the bar clamp cheek adjustment system is more set it and forget it and would like something more dynamic adjustment friendly.

thanks

Horizontal adjuster wheel for the cheek piece ? They’re fucking awesome. The Robertson’s and Sitman units where you can just pop the cheek piece off for cleaning are even better.

Only downside is some weight if you have to carry it. Not great for a field rifle but awesome for a range queen or light field use.

You talking about the old style like they had on the USMC M40A3 and A5? If so, I would not consider that to be dynamic.

I’ve got the McMillan a3-5 in Desert Transition with the thumb wheel cheek riser and it’s awesome.

The thumb screw is not much, worth it to have a thumb screw and a grub screw laying around

I have one on an A-5 stock on a recent build. It adjusts well and locks down securely. Adjustment is precise. I also have on another A-5 stock the other design that is a simple single thumb screw that holds the cheek rest in place and you have to adjust manually by sliding up and down. With the later you can simply loosen the thumb screw and pull off the cheek rest. You cannot remove the cheek rest with the model with the adjustable thumb screw that you are describing. On my build this is problematic because I have so little clearance when it is completely down it’s difficult for me to get my cleaning rod in with clearance for the handle. It’s so tight I had to remove my favorite WieBad mini stock pad for cleaning. This became such a hassle redoing the Velcro closures every time I simply removed it. You may not have this issue.

I had mine repainted a few months ago by McMillan and they did a great job. The stock looks new again. McMillan has great after the sale services in case you ever want to change the look of your rifle later on.