• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing How vikings hunt

THLR

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2012
Cheesy title, but something different for most of you I suppose. This is me hunting at home, it's a fantastic experience if you keep your brain attached. It's a fairly potent environment, so some small how-to pointers is included.

Skiing for ptramigan with a 221 Fireball (legal max for this hunt). Rifle is a factory Remington 700 221 Fireball with sufficient precision and a compact "scabbard scope" Leupold mk 5 HD 3,6-18x44 (?) Gunwerks G7 FFP reticle.
So far all of the cold weather problems associated with rimfires is gone and accuracy is reliable. Feels really good to have accuracy under control and not be dependent on what ammo batch my local retailer stocks.

It's overall a very nice experience. Birds taste good too!

I enjoyed the video. Very well done.

I have a couple of production questions if you wish to answer them.
  • Were you completely alone on this hunt and handling the GoPro and cameras by yourself, or did you have a camera assistant/friend?
  • If you were alone, I make this assumption that for shots where you ski over a hill or otherwise out of sight, that you had to then return to gather the camera(s).
In either case, I repeat that it was well done and I enjoyed it. Good shooting also.

• Were you completely alone on this hunt and handling the GoPro and cameras by yourself, or did you have a camera assistant/friend?
  • If you were alone, I make this assumption that for shots where you ski over a hill or otherwise out of sight, that you had to then return to gather the camera(s).

Yes, I'm alone. For safety, we travel into this region as a group and meet up at designated points/ times, but we each go to each our mountain/ valley for the hunt itself.

So yes, it makes for cold fingers and a lot of extra skiing. I should have enough material for another film. After switching from Canon to Sony, the batteries quality in the cold increased very much (despite similar mAh capacity).

Thanks!

Reactions: Changed and lash
Sorry, my wife would kill me if I started filming in the kitchen.

Man you could hear the cold in the sound of the snow...

Personally Id have taken one of the deer, cut some back straps, avoided all the bird cleaning and spent the rest of the day just enjoying that beautiful desolation.

Reactions: THLR
Yes true. At somewhere around -10 it changes properties and you get that special sound. At -30 it's different yet again.

• Love
Reactions: pmclaine
Yes true. At somewhere around -10 it changes properties and you get that special sound. At -30 it's different yet again.

Never experienced -30, well I might have but wasnt paying attention.....

Guessing at -30 everything is so dessicated and dry the snow just squeeks or perhaps gets silent as powdered sugar.

Thank you for your post.

PROTIP: Always ski with an empty chamber. :)

Absolutely! Skiing with a cocked but safe rifle is like bringing Damocles Sword along by trusting a mechanical safety. The rifle jiggles in the scabbard all day long and falling on skis can be a high energy impact. I don't want the firing pin falling on the primer whilst the barrel is pointing at my arse or legs. Sure, there's a low chance of this happening, but I'm not a very proficient skier, I DO fall at least once a day and I want to eliminate that risk altogether.

Guessing at -30 everything is so dessicated and dry the snow just squeeks or perhaps gets silent as powdered sugar.

Squeeks really loud. And some trees makes "pop" and "snap" sound. If you have a Neoprene scope cover (like I do), be prepared to put some effort into getting it on and off... :D

Awesome video Sir, thank you for sharing! I have a love for Scandinavians as I am descended from Danish and Finnish ancestors and love the traditions of hunting and rifleman there.

We continue that tradition on this side of the pond in the West! My great grandfather would shoot Ptarmigan in the head with open sights on elk hunts in the Rocky Mountains for lunch when the elk hunting was slow. I have never looked a Ptarmigan but have killed elk. ?

Awesome video Sir, thank you for sharing! I have a love for Scandinavians as I am descended from Danish and Finnish ancestors and love the traditions of hunting and rifleman there.

We continue that tradition on this side of the pond in the West! My great grandfather would shoot Ptarmigan in the head with open sights on elk hunts in the Rocky Mountains for lunch when the elk hunting was slow. I have never looked a Ptarmigan but have killed elk. ?

As long as you brought it up.......

We have two types of Viking blood here.

They are either hardcore riflemen/outdoorsmen with few peers anywhere able to match their skill. Their shooting discipline and the areas they shoot amaze me......the OP for instance.

or.......

They are total kunts that come here to spew EU surrender politics......think @Kristian_Jensen.

• Haha
Reactions: verdugo60
Really well done. “Details, details, details”... always good advice. I spent a decade in Timmins ON, and saw -40 many a winter morning... (tires square up). Two questions... 1) navigation in flat light, no tree line... challenging or did you ave GPS; 2) we hunt partridge with a 22 as well... (your shot placement was excellent)... ruff grouse is white breast meat, spruce hens were dark/gamey... what was ptarmigan like? Thanks for sharing ?

I have never looked a Ptarmigan but have killed elk. ?

Shoot one and eat it if you can, it's a very nice meat.

Really well done. “Details, details, details”... always good advice. I spent a decade in Timmins ON, and saw -40 many a winter morning... (tires square up).
Those temperatures are savage, and there are so many materials and tools that just change properties when it get's that cold. It's not that it's overly difficult to thrive, but paying attention to very basic routines (like brushing the backpack and not melting the snow against your back) makes it a lot less unpleasant.

[...] navigation in flat light, no tree line... challenging or did you ave GPS;
It's not really that difficult, it's just a matter of "details, details, detail" and having a gameplan before I'm in the shit. The flat light is more a safety hazard than a navigation issue, you lose the contours in front of you and skiing becomes difficult which again causes you to fall a lot more. I have ski goggles with contrast lenses and that really helps, but if the wind picks up you also drift that wipes away the ground ancles down eventhough you see the horizon just fine. At this stage I'm not really skiing anymore, but walking with skis or making short runs from safe point to safe point. When it gets really bad it's two steps at a time and drop the skipole in front to check the lay of the land (I've only had this twice). This stuff doesn't show up on a weather forecast, and flat light is just a matter of cloudcover, so you just have to deal with it.

I had a Geronimo moment on this trip, skiing in flat light from safepoint to safepoint. I was descending the mountain, zigzagging down and steering towards a soft puff of snow to catch me and slow me down. Only the "soft puff" was frozen solid and put my airborne for what felt like a world record skijump. Looking back, the absence of skitracks showed me it was less than 2 yards, but it goes to show how fast thing can change. From merrily skiing home to being pounded into the ground in a fraction of a second.

Severe weather shows up on the forecast and there's no point going out in that weather - you're not going to see anything and the winds/ snow will knock you over again and again. But a whiteout (or darkness if your descent is delayed) is just a matter of navigating towards a predetermined catchline (usually valley floor, river or lake) and following that back to a more solid navigation point. I have a compass, my required heading is predetermined in the morning and my map has my catchlines highlighted. So whereever I go, I am "boxed in" by catchlines and we (we are usually 4 people or more in basecamp) all fall back to the same catchlines. We all have headtorches so it's easy to spot a light coming down the mountain in darkness. I use small ones with AAA batteries, not much light is required to see the immediate area in front of you and be seen from a good distance. I think mine are 100-250 lumen strenght, I find that bigger lamps blinds you with reflections and makes navigation that much harder.

ruff grouse is white breast meat, spruce hens were dark/gamey... what was ptarmigan like? Thanks for sharing ?
The video posted farther up was very good in describing ptarmigan. I find it very gamey and portion it like a "dessert meat", meaning too much meat will ruin the meal.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash