• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How well do all-copper bullets do at long ranges?

I've experimented with Barnes TSX bullets which are solid copper. I cant get them to group at short range much less long range.

I have tried them and couldn't ever get them to shoot in any of my rifles. I believe one of the reasons for this is the length of the bullets, they are much longer for the same weight bullet. This requires more twist to stabilize them but I think it also has something to do with the balance of them in flight. I even tried them in some faster twist barrels, I still couldn't get them to shoot. I have talked to guys at our club and haven't found anyone who could get them to shoot either. I have heard many theories on why but I'm not sure of the real reason or if there's a trick to loading them.

I shoot the 168 TTSX out of my 1-10 308 and they shoot under 1 inch at 100. I'm not pushing them too hard either. 41.5 gr H4895 in Barnes casings, CCI #34 primers. Safe to shoot in my M1A.

I have Barnes TSX woes myself past 100yds in my .223 bolt gun. The same load that shoots ~.6 MOA @ 100 literally shoots 1.5 MOA at 200 and beyond. I think it has more to do with my somewhat limited load experimentation due to bullet cost.

I still have about 40 of these rounds loaded up for short range deer/hog in the bolt gun, but may try a couple in my AR for S's and G's.

We happily head and neck shoot in 223 with Barnes TSX 55gr using BM2 up to 300m.Use M die to seat your projectile.

I am working on loads for a new 7mm08, and its shooting 120 gr ttsx sub moa at 100/200/300 yds. Seating depth is important with ttsx. It's seated far off the lands (0.09") with 43 gr N150. Will take it out to 600 yd soon.

I've had good experience with Barnes 6.5 mm LRX also in .260 Rem. Etips are alternatives too. I like the look of the etips and have seen good reports but haven't had luck with the 150 gr 7mm. I think it's too long for my 9.5 twist Tikka. I'd like to get the 7 mm08 shooting well out to at least 500 yd for hunting next Fall.

Last edited:
Soooooooooo, enlighten me, please. Other than maybe glass penetration, what is the advantage of shooting brass projectiles? Unless you are hunting in California. LOL!