• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft How well does krylon prevent rust??

flopduster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2008
South Carolina
Thinking of painting my barrel and action, will krylon prevent rust? Is alumahyde much better?
Any special preps? Primer first?

thanks

Re: How well does krylon prevent rust??

almost any paint will prevent rust...Krylon is good because it is easy to apply and re-apply...

Alumahyde is better if applied correctly. When I heated the metal and then sprayed the alumahyde on the surface, then ran a heat gun over the metal for an hour or so, I got great results.

as far as prep...I just cleaned the surface with brake cleaner or something that will disolve grease and oil.

I use alcohol to prep mine and it works great and is fairly easy to remove. I wipe and let dry every inch. I prefer it because I change my camo colors to the environment I am in for 15.00 and in 30 minutes...

Krylon tends to be too watery for me.. Rustoleum or American Accents generally are both better paint. More coverage and more opaque. Not as good as specialized gun coatings, but cheaper and easier to get.

+ 1 for rustoleum. krylon is fine, but side-by-side, i've found that i get better coverage with the rustoleum.

aervoe is #1 in my book. it has the best selection of ultra-flat tones, by far, and has held up as well, if not better than the above mentioned brands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
aervoe is #1 in my book. it has the best selection of ultra-flat tones, by far, and has held up as well, if not better than the above mentioned brands. </div></div>

GZ,

Where do you buy it from?

-Pat

I wiped my gun down with acetone then sat it in the sun (bout 100 degrees out) and let it get hot. Used the Krylon fusion flat camo paints and have been extremely impressed with the durability. Will definately do it again.

I tear it down then clean everything with brake cleaner. I have an old bore guide that I replace the bolt with. Put a foam ear plug in the muzzle, tape things off with blue masking tape and spray away with Rustolium as a base. I like using some of the hobby paints since they replicate govt. colors. German panzer yellow matches a lot of the area around here.

Corrosion COntrol FACT:
No paint will prevent corrosion in any alloy. Your rifle's actuion and barrel are an allow as are teh parts. Unless the part is made of pure steel, or as it is called, mild steel, it will corrode internally as dissimiliar metal corrosion. You see this on aluminum and SS parts over time as a grey powder, or if the part breaks a greany pattern in the break that looks like rust.
If you do the prep correctly the surface of your metals will not corrode as you have made a total seal over them.
Remember, corrosion is a by product of water or a liquid and a simple electrolysis.
Painting or anything else will work very well so long as the coating is more noble than the metal it is covering(the<span style="font-style: italic">active</span> part that is attacked and shows the rust)
That's a ssimple and down and dirty as I can describe it. Some of you will no doubt be familiar with Galvanic prosesses, Knife edge process, Temperature process and the other corrosion types.

Does Rustoleum have a camouflage line like Krylon Fusion Camouflage ?