• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

How well does XLR Chassis absorb recoil?

BigCheese1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2013
First off I want to say you guys rock and your opinion is always helpful.

The ongoing debate in my head between a .308 or 30-06 is never ending. My Long Action used to be a factory .270 and here's my dilemma. It had a light HS precision stock on it and the recoil was sharp! It honestly would sting a little, but that was a very light hunting setup. I am rebuilding this gun and IF I do go with a 30-06, in the XLR Chassis, how is recoil going to be? I'm not a small guy, but I do want something that I could go to the range or the backwoods with and target shoot for a while without getting fatigued sore. The Chassis looks like it has a comfortable recoil pad! this will be my hunting and target rig and in my mind...
A 30-06 with an M24 barrel contour with a 22" barrel with a Surefire brake in an XLR chassis sounded pretty baddass to me!!
I just don't want it to not be fun to shoot or something my gal would be afraid to get behind, even though she's up for anything! ( She is not the priority here though! :) )

If you care to throw in your opinion on the 30-06, go right ahead. Everything has been selected, BUT the chambering :'(

More than anything the complete rifle weight will help with perceived recoil. I had an Rem varmint(308) 22"bbl, Weaver tactical in an XLR and it weighed 14 lbs. A 30-06 with m24 countour has got to be heavier than that. Also, you can load up 155 scenars and you will have a flat shooting and fun load. BC is right up there with the 178's and the recoil similar to a 308.

Significantly. To me it feels like it is cut in half. Mostly due to the weight.

Is it that heavy? It doesn't appear to be too heavy.. I sure hope it isn't because I will carry this sucker in the Colorado mountains, the hills of California, and everywhere in between. I actually prefer rifles with some weight to them though. I LOVE the look of the chassis, and I can see myself carrying it with me everywhere. The Butt pad looks very comfortable, and the overall design looks to me as if will significantly mitigate recoil, and keep the rifle at a very manageable weight. Is this an accurate assessment, despite never touching one yet?

I have one. LOVE IT. It is lightweight COMPARED to other chassis. But it's still definitely no feather.

My 7mag is fine in the xlr, no issue with recoil. I would go 30-06 if I were you, for extra push with the heavies.

If you have a good muzzle brake, recoil will not be an issue in almost any stock / chassis. My 338 lapua with a brake shooting heavy 300gr scenars has about the same kick as my 308 shooting 175s with no brake.

With that said the xlr really takes the edge off with the thick recoil pad.

On the 308 / 30-06 debate, well, thats another debate ha!

If you have a good muzzle brake, recoil will not be an issue in almost any stock / chassis. My 338 lapua with a brake shooting heavy 300gr scenars has about the same kick as my 308 shooting 175s with no brake.

With that said the xlr really takes the edge off with the thick recoil pad.

On the 308 / 30-06 debate, well, thats another debate ha!

Thanks! Thats good to know!

haha I know it is another debate... I cannot for the life of me decide on this. I may not ever end up building a rifle, and just sit here with severe indecision and never get a rifle built.