• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How would one cut the foam insert to match rifle?

Re: How would one cut the foam insert to match rifle?

I actually followed that thread's instructions for building my concealment case:

[img:left]
caseinterior.jpg
[/img]

From my experience, hot wire isn't the best way. Edit: Hot knife cutting is an art form that involves a very patient and careful amount of pressure so as not to bend the wire you're cutting with; even small deviations can produce unsightly jagged edges or uneven cuts. I get cuts just as clean using a very, very sharp knife and a ruler. Use a metal straight edge, preferably a t-square or a right-angle ruler. I use a hook-shaped X-acto blade now.

If you're doing it for a rifle that you want to change the configuration on, do the outline step - but draw outlines for your different configurations on the same page overlapping. That way you can create a cutout that will fit both. On my subsequent re-do, I left a cutout at the top of the rifle that fits both the scope and holo sight in the case, so that I can leave one or the other mounted. I then used the same shape to make another hollow, so that I can store the scope or the holosight/mag in it.

I'm actually waiting on a shotgun to create the third version of this case, which will have a compartment in the lid to store the shotgun. Not sure yet how I'll stop the rifle in the bottom and the shotgun in the lid from rubbing together. It will also bring the case's total weight to about 40-50 lbs including a handgun (which I've now added a space for in the case.)

Get a sharp knife, be careful with your cutting and creative with your design.

white fabric pencil and a bread knife

I used one of those hobby knives that you can set the blade in or out as far as you need. (Exacto knife?). Worked good for me.

My problem is as my shooting style and needs changed..... I need new foam now after switching optics, lights, bipod, sling ext....

i just did my pelican case and used a new 99cent exacto knife from target.

Electric carving knife and a Sharpie. Took about 10 min and everything fits nice. On a side note, keep the peace you cut out. This way if you change anything you still have the foam and can just cut out the other layer.

You can also get hot knifes made for cutting foam and other things at some craft stores, should make cleaner and easier cuts than a normal blade, probably not as fast as a wire as they probably don't get as hot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quack303Head</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Electric carving knife and a Sharpie. Took about 10 min and everything fits nice. On a side note, keep the peace you cut out. This way if you change anything you still have the foam and can just cut out the other layer. </div></div>

Now that right there is a great idea.

After all the changes I have done to my AR platform, I'm now needing new foam because it's been hacked and pieced out. If only I saved the pieces I cut out....

Pelican Armory did my custom cutouts.

i looked at all the threads and ended up kinda bastardizing mine because i was impatient.

I simply took a long length of cardboard, outlined the rifle, cut the cardboard out, then outlined that cutout on my 1750's foam. I then just grabbed a relatively long fine serrated kitchen knife and went to work

My foam isn't nearly as perfect looking as some, but i still get high praise from most that see it and it works for me great. YMMV

I bought one of the hotwire cutter miter tables from hotwirefoamfactory.com and it sucks. They do say you can add an optional high power source to make it cut faster. But as slow as this thing cuts the power source would need to be 3 phase 480V to be worth a damn. I'm thinking an electric knife is where it's at.

Get a cheap "break-away" utility knife. The ones that you break off a segment of the blade, as opposed to changing one out, like a normal utility knife. When you extend the blade out, you have a long, razor sharp blade to cut with. This and a Sharpie give me excellent results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quack303Head</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Electric carving knife and a Sharpie. Took about 10 min and everything fits nice. On a side note, keep the peace you cut out. This way if you change anything you still have the foam and can just cut out the other layer.</div></div>

^^^^^^^ This

I would post a link but am on my phone. I was looking at having to do a lot of foam cutouts for work. Found an electric hot knife online for about $60 IIRC. It would get up to 700° so would surely go through foam very easily, and doesn't have a wire to break as it is a heated blade. It was more of a pro version as the hobby level ones only got up to 450° for a few minutes and then had to cool off.

I personally have done the extended utility knife routine for several rifles and while it works it takes a while and the results were not great. The electric carving knife with a good blade would be much better I think.

There are plenty of threads on the Hide (if you search "cut foam") with tutorials/pics...and no, this is not a way of saying "use the search function"
wink.gif

Hot wire, electric carving knife and a sharp knife are the favoured methods.

All I use are one of those cheap extending snap-off knives, chalk and a ruler.

The tools are just part of it. The end results will be more to do with how you use them and the time you take to think it through.

Take the time to do the lay-out properly to maximise the use of space, leave 1" minimum between objects in the case.

Once the lay-out works for you, trace around the items to be put in the case with chalk - keep it right up to the edges of the item and then cut inside the chalk line for a tight fit.

Make sure the blade you use can fit right through the foam or you'll end up with edges that are as rough as a badger's arse and cut along a straight edge. Use long, smooth cuts - not short hacking motion.

It is really easy and, unless you have a really busy/complex layout - I can't see any reason to take it to someone to do.

The kit costs pennies. Just take your time.

Thanks for the info, will try it on my new case.

+1 on the carving knife. Just make sure you hold it completely vertical