• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How would you feel?

Broncovan

FHEC
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2009
Nampa, ID
So I work at a range, I'm continually amazed at what gets left by shooters.
Bags, shooting mats, ear pro, phones some things expensive, some not.
Members have found rifles, shotguns, you name it. We send out an email to our members and eventually the owner responds and they get their stuff back.
Yesterday takes the cake though....
I think I would have just about thrown up when someone found a like new Winchester SX4 and I didn't miss it for two months.

But what I found yesterday would have me shitting down both legs.

A Thunderbeast 338! HOLY SHIT!
I couldn't believe it! We're trying to track the owner down now.

You're doing the right thing. Given current NFA laws, you'd be fucked if you tried to keep it anyway. People are always going to be stupid. You can't fix that.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
It was always "fun" when customers would mix up cases and take the wrong gun, sometimes just to somewhere else on the range, sometimes home. A most memorable one was a case swap where a guy's run of the mill Marlin 30-30 turned into a pristine original run Rem 700 BDL in 8mm Rem Mag. He was freaking out. The range asked and noted what caliber(s) you were shooting when you registered just for this sort of thing, so I'm telling him don't worry, this one should be easy to sort out. (All the while I'm thinking, good lord, if it was me I'd be hoping he NEVER came back.) I even said something at one point to him, trying for a bit of levity.. "worst case, this rifle's worth two or three times more, look on the bright side!" He wasn't amused.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
My dad worked for Hertz rental car after he retired from the fire department you would not believe the stuff people used to leave behind after they turned the car back in. On more than a few occasions they would find guns, and unless the owner could come back the same day they turned them over to the police by the end of the day.

A range I was formerly a member of used to list a lost and found in the quarterly news letter. There were more than a few guns in there every time. Lots of range bags with various items.

My dad worked for Hertz rental car after he retired from the fire department you would not believe the stuff people used to leave behind after they turned the car back in. On more than a few occasions they would find guns, and unless the owner could come back the same day they turned them over to the police by the end of the day.
That reminds me of some loser named "Hunter" who left his meth pipe, a bag of cocaine and TWO driver's licenses in a rental car one time. Both city and state DA's offices declined to bring charges in the case. Can you imagine that?!

Given current NFA laws, you have just taken on considerable risk. Are you sure this isn't planted rather than just forgotten? A call to your attorney first thing Tuesday morning may be warranted.

Hell, its only 2K. No biggie.

In would ask for the "owner" to to provide proof (their trust) that they actually own the suppressor.

several years back. Had a Dept. of Corrections 'woman' officers doing a shoot/train qualify day over here at local range that I a member. Had the whole bunch drive off and leave a loaded mini-14 sitting on top of one of the plastic barrels in the range...LOL . was never to be found when they finally came back to look for it.

• Haha
Reactions: 91Eunozs
I found a cell phone at our range. Put it in the lost and found. No one ever came back for it.

I went to take a piss in the toilet in the local public library, and saw someone had left a holstered Glock pistol on the back of the commode. Obviously, he took it off to sit down & take a dump, then just got up & walked away.

I could have put it in my pocket & walked out, but I wouldnt do that to a guy, so I called the library IT guy (ex-Army) and he secured it, then called local cops who came & got it. When homie had his "Oh, SHIT! I forgot my gun!" moment a whole TWO AND A HALF HOURS LATER (they told me, I asked) and called the library looking for his pistol, he had to go get it from the cops.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
I know laws vary from state to state but what would be a way to handle this without getting one in trouble. I understand at a shooting range using the lost and found but what about elsewhere.

What about leaving your number with the person in charge and saying you found something of a sensitive nature and if anyone calls to put them in contact with you. I'm asking how could things be done to help a guy out without putting yourself in danger.

You figure with as much as people drink on the firing line, they are going to forget shit.
Although the beer cans make good targets
Where do you shoot that people drink? At a range? Ive been a member of 3 and its verboten at al of them. NOt to mention stupid.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
I went to take a piss in the toilet in the local public library, and saw someone had left a holstered Glock pistol on the back of the commode. Obviously, he took it off to sit down & take a dump, then just got up & walked away.

I could have put it in my pocket & walked out, but I wouldnt do that to a guy, so I called the library IT guy (ex-Army) and he secured it, then called local cops who came & got it. When homie had his "Oh, SHIT! I forgot my gun!" moment a whole TWO AND A HALF HOURS LATER (they told me, I asked) and called the library looking for his pistol, he had to go get it from the cops.
Happens to the ;best' or us.

1. www.foxnews.com › us › us-capitol-police-officerUS Capitol police officer walks out of bathroom without his ...

A U.S. Capitol police officer reportedly left his pistol inside a bathroom at its Visitor Center earlier this week. (Architect of the Capitol) A U.S. Capitol police officer reportedly is under...
  2. www.alloutdoor.com › 12 › cop-left-gun-potty-forgotThis Cop Left His Gun in the Potty and Forgot About It

Oct 12, 2014 · Memphis, TN – Off-duty officer Lester Hobbs left his handgun on a bathroom towel rack after using the facilities while at his second job at Dillard’s department store in Oak Court Mall. When he realized he didn’t have his gun, he returned to the bathroom, but surprise–it was gone.

Personally, when I need to take a dump in a public terlit (redneck for toilet) I never take my eyes off of it.

1705368904134.png

So I work at a range, I'm continually amazed at what gets left by shooters.
Bags, shooting mats, ear pro, phones some things expensive, some not.
Members have found rifles, shotguns, you name it. We send out an email to our members and eventually the owner responds and they get their stuff back.
Yesterday takes the cake though....
I think I would have just about thrown up when someone found a like new Winchester SX4 and I didn't miss it for two months.

But what I found yesterday would have me shitting down both legs.

A Thunderbeast 338! HOLY SHIT!
I couldn't believe it! We're trying to track the owner down now.
Once time I went to the local range I left one of my range bags. It contained the usual, some expensive ammo, electric ear muffs, shooters log and...
oh yeah my 10x56 Ziess Victory bino's.

Fortunately the range officers know me and brought it into the office and had it for me come Monday when I came back. Have not repeated that one, thankfully. CRS disease is real!

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
I know laws vary from state to state but what would be a way to handle this without getting one in trouble. I understand at a shooting range using the lost and found but what about elsewhere.

What about leaving your number with the person in charge and saying you found something of a sensitive nature and if anyone calls to put them in contact with you. I'm asking how could things be done to help a guy out without putting yourself in danger.
possessing it without the proper paper work would be a mistake. Likely to get in more trouble than the guy who lost it.