• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How would you practice?

drstieren

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2009
LaSalle County,Texas, USA
My background:

I am relatively new to long range shooting (no military experience). I have excellent equipment (e.g., 7mm-08 on outstanding stock, bedding, etc.) with Schmidt Bender scope & the finest—in my opinion—reticle available. I have shot almost a 1K rounds through this rifle and have more than a good feel for what will happen at various ranges. I have access to a @500y range that I can shoot and learn to “hit the spot” at varied yardage. I do precision handload.

My specific goal:

Other than the love of shooting and precision, I manage a small piece of property in South Texas. Most of my real-life shooting is selecting and managing White-tailed deer population. 98% of those shots are taken out of a hunting blind (same make/model of blind at all locations) at various ranges. There are no feeders and no shot is “set up.” Yardage variation is 80-500+ yards. Any shot I make, I wish to be more than certain that animal will die the instantaneous death I would wish for whenever it comes to me. A definite humane immediate kill is tantamount.

My question:

How would you propose I practice in off-season? I have a bench and of course, I have ground to lie on. There is no competition here except me against my conscience. Naturally, I shoot at various ranges out of several of the actual blinds in simulated/target scenarios. Should I just concentrate on the bench, shooting/ranging targets at random yardages or get some different exercises in my regime? What do you recommend?

Thanks!

Wally

Re: How would you practice?

many have said this before.....

tactical matches safari type matches and certainly a class that teaches you how to properly drive your stick will allow you to be a better hunter.

Two things. Time and accuracy.

I think the Prone, Offhand, and Kneeling positions are most useful in the field, using the lowest position you can manage that affords a clear view of the target, trajectory, and backfield. In this way, hunting and combat firing training are fairly similar. I would practice standing with my back to several targets, then turning, selecting, positioning, and firing on a chosen target.

This can be done at reasonably close distance with a .22LR. The key is smoothness, target acquisition, shot setup; and slowing down in the final stage to assure a clean shot. Don't try for speed. Try for smoothness, confidence, and getting the hit first time, every time. Enough of this and the speed will come, it has to. If conditions don't dictate a high probability of a satisfactory outcome, hold the shot. Right, or nogo.

Training for a specific situation, or blind, etc. tends to detract, IMHO. The skills need to be General Purpose.

Greg

Go Figure,

How far are you from Laredo? If you are close enough check out their local club. They shoot high power up to 550 yards and F-Class sometimes. Here is their schedule, just got this from a team mate.

Talk about challenging is the smallbore rifle metal animal shooting.

First Sunday ---- Pistol
Second--------------High Power
Third------------------Mini Silhouettes with .22
Fourth---------------Bench Rest
Fifth (sometimes) F- Class 300yd and 550 yards

Let me know if you need contact there.

Before anything, take a basic rifle marksmanship course. Right now, you may think that executing the firing task is the equivilant of knowing how to shoot. Your results at relatively small targets will expose what you indeed know. A basic marksmanship course will get you orientated to good shooting, and provide a basis of understanding to the sort of practice you will need to become the extraordinary shooter you want to be.

I like to set up targets at various ranges. Specifically zeroing target, the kind that are the size of a sheet of paper, and have one inch boxes covering the target. Then start from one corner and shoot 3 round groups in each box. If you shoot outside your box, hang a fresh sheet and start again. I would imagine at 500 this would really suck, so may open the group up to what ever your system is capable of. I say your system because if your system can shoot it, so can you. Have a great time, and get ready to spend a whole bunch of money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before anything, take a basic rifle marksmanship course. Right now, you may think that executing the firing task is the equivilant of knowing how to shoot. Your results at relatively small targets will expose what you indeed know. A basic marksmanship course will get you orientated to good shooting, and provide a basis of understanding to the sort of practice you will need to become the extraordinary shooter you want to be. </div></div>

I can not agree with Charles more. Start with a basic marksmanship class. I know that you probably feel you're past that. But we really are telling you the truth. You will learn things you never thought of on your own.

Welcome to the Hide.