• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 7mm Rem Mag

RWHBangarang

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2014
Oahu, Hawaii
Longtime lurker, first time poster hoping to get some input from those in the know.
I just picked up a Howa 1500 in 7mm Rem Mag at auction. Someone has put some love into it, sinking the barrel/action into a Knox SpecOps tactical stock, mounting a rail system, reworking the trigger, and attaching a bipod. So, if anything, it looks nice, but I don't know much about it's performance. I am very unfamiliar with the caliber and picked it up not knowing anything of the capabilities since the price was right and I'd heard favorable comparisons of the 1500 to the Remington 700.
What are some performance standards I can reasonably expect from the rifle and this caliber?
I don't have a scope to throw on it, otherwise I'd be at a range right now finding out for myself. Speaking of which, any suggestions on a suitable scope at a 'reasonable' price would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

As discussed in may other threads, the Howas are fantastic rifles, and real solid shooters, and the 7mm is a very capable round for both target and hunting. If you don't already have a reloading setup I'd recommend getting one and working up a load or two for it.

For scopes, look at Vortex or SWFA Super Sniper. The for sale section is a good place to start. If you need a quality base for it EGW and Ken Farrel offer model specific bases, but if I remember correctly Remington 700 long action bases will fit the Howa.

As discussed in may other threads, the Howas are fantastic rifles, and real solid shooters, and the 7mm is a very capable round for both target and hunting. If you don't already have a reloading setup I'd recommend getting one and working up a load or two for it.

For scopes, look at Vortex or SWFA Super Sniper. The for sale section is a good place to start. If you need a quality base for it EGW and Ken Farrel offer model specific bases, but if I remember correctly Remington 700 long action bases will fit the Howa.

Only the two piece Remmy 700 bases will fit the Howa. Screw holes are not spaced for the one piece bases