• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 Barreled Action Build

Hawk in WY

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2013
Jackson Hole, WY
The latest email from Brownells offering Howa barreled actions for $349 and $399 pushed me over the edge.

I ordered a 24 inch heavy barrel 6.5 Creedmoor and a 26” heavy barrel .300 Win Mag.

Both rifles will be used for long range steel from a bench or prone and maybe elk and antelope hunting from a hide. I don’t plan on packing either rifle in the back country so weight is not an issue.

So now what do I do?

I need stocks, brakes or suppressors, picatinny rails, magazines and I don’t know what else.

I understand stocks are largely personal preferences but I need a place to start. I have two McMillan stocked rifles already, but these are pure hunting rigs.

These will be budget builds in part but I don’t mind paying up for quality.

Advice from knowledgeable members here would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: PowellSixO
I'll be watching this thread, because I, too, jumped on a sub-$300 barreled action. Mine is a heavy-barrel .308, but only because that was the cheapest option with the bolt face/action length I wanted. I am planning on turning mine into a light-weight hunter in something like 6mm Creedmoor or 6SLR. I am thinking of going with the MDT LSS for the stock/chassis. My brake will be a TBAC CB brake/mount, and for the trigger I am leaning towards Rifle Basix.

I'll be watching this thread, because I, too, jumped on a sub-$300 barreled action. Mine is a heavy-barrel .308, but only because that was the cheapest option with the bolt face/action length I wanted. I am planning on turning mine into a light-weight hunter in something like 6mm Creedmoor or 6SLR. I am thinking of going with the MDT LSS for the stock/chassis. My brake will be a TBAC CB brake/mount, and for the trigger I am leaning towards Rifle Basix.

I have been looking at the MDT chassis system. Nice gear but gets expensive when you add the stock and grip.

Why the LSS?

I put this one together for a buddy. I was really happy with the inlet and overall quality of the bell and Carlson. The CDI bottom metal was great too though we did have to mill a little tab off of the action in the magazine well to get the AI mags to feed. No big deal.

KRG confirmed they will be shipping the Bravo for the Howa 1500 in July or August. Short action only. Bravo only.

That takes care of the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Now what to put on the long Action .300 Win Mag?

Thanks for the advice so far.

These barreled actions should be replacing the r700 as the default "go to" for a build. They are dead simple, tough as hell and accurate.
I love seeing more and more companies getting behind them with components!

Picked up the 300 win mag 26 inch today. Looking at options now lol

I would recommend a boyds pro varmint stock as I will be getting one for my Howa. Already have it in a chassis but having the option of putting it in a more traditional stock is nice.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator/

A KRG x ray 180 would also be a good option.

Whatever you choose, good luck. These howa rifles are definitely nice and real good shooters.

Reactions: gpkon66
I have a 1500 in a KRG XRay 180 and like it. The only downside for me is that it does not accept the spigot.

I would recommend a boyds pro varmint stock as I will be getting one for my Howa. Already have it in a chassis but having the option of putting it in a more traditional stock is nice.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator/

A KRG x ray 180 would also be a good option.

Whatever you choose, good luck. These howa rifles are definitely nice and real good shooters.

I'm curious about the AT ONE with it only being $189 and having adjustable comb and LOP. But I also see the Pro Varmint is only $221 with the Limbsaver recoil pad and adjustable comb. Not sure which one I'll go with.

I put this one together for a buddy. I was really happy with the inlet and overall quality of the bell and Carlson. The CDI bottom metal was great too though we did have to mill a little tab off of the action in the magazine well to get the AI mags to feed. No big deal.

What model Bell and Carlson is that?

I'm curious about the AT ONE with it only being $189 and having adjustable comb and LOP. But I also see the Pro Varmint is only $221 with the Limbsaver recoil pad and adjustable comb. Not sure which one I'll go with.

While the At One does have some nice features, it's one that just doesn't really grab my attention. I really like the pro varmint myself. Either way, boyds makes good products and if you go with either one of them, I think they won't let you down.
Good luck...

I have a 1500 in a KRG XRay 180 and like it. The only downside for me is that it does not accept the spigot.

The KRG website is a bit confusing.

KRG has confirmed they will be shipping the KRG Bravo for the Howa 1500 Short Action in July or August, but it’s not clear if any of their stocks are currently inlet for the Howa actions.

The KRG XRay 180 seems to be inlet for the CZ 455. Did you have to do your own modification for the Howa to fit?

Long action or short?

Thank you for the education.

The KRG website is a bit confusing.

KRG has confirmed they will be shipping the KRG Bravo for the Howa 1500 Short Action in July or August, but it’s not clear if any of their stocks are currently inlet for the Howa actions.

The KRG XRay 180 seems to be inlet for the CZ 455. Did you have to do your own modification for the Howa to fit?

Long action or short?

Thank you for the education

I emailed KRG a while back about the 180 X-Ray, it was available for the Howa 1500 SA for a time, but they have discontinued it only to continue offering it in the CZ455. They did confirm that they will be shipping the Bravo chassis for the Howa soon. I too ordered a Howa 1500 Barreled action, 20 inch in .308 to build off of. Was originally going to go with the X-ray, but I'm happy the Bravo will be available soon.

The soon to be released Bravo works for me but short action only. That works for the 6.5 Creedmoor but I’m still looking for a stock along the same lines which will fit the long action Howa. Off to check out MDT’s website.

Reactions: Lumbeejake
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but isn't the Howa action the same foot print for long and short actions? I've only had short actoins in the past, but seem to recall the factory SA magazines being blocked in the rear because they are were all the same action length (just magazine shifted based on with bolt throw you had).

I have been looking at the MDT chassis system. Nice gear but gets expensive when you add the stock and grip.

Why the LSS?
Because it looks to be the lightest of the bunch. Otherwise I really dig the LSS-XL Gen2.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but isn't the Howa action the same foot print for long and short actions? I've only had short actoins in the past, but seem to recall the factory SA magazines being blocked in the rear because they are were all the same action length (just magazine shifted based on with bolt throw you had).
I know that the Tikka actions are like that, but I don't think the Howa actions are:

HOWA-Mini-Action-2.jpg

Looking at the three bolts along the right side of the image, I can't imagine how the short and long actions would have the same foot print... though I admit that there are some things (believe it or not) about which I may be wrong.

I thought that was tikka.

I stand corrected then...I probably was thinking Tikka/Savage.

Close to placing an order for MDT chassis but the KRG Bravo is calling out to me.

Hard to tell which MDT chassis would best serve my purpose.

Anyone have experience with these options?

Because it looks to be the lightest of the bunch. Otherwise I really dig the LSS-XL Gen2.

Or maybe the ESS even better since it comes with its own butt stock.

Hard to justify twice the price of the barreled action for the stock, but still a very good price for what should be great rifles.

I think im going Boyd's. You can purchase pretty much custom length of pull, comb adjustment built in, and limb saver for $236 plus shipping. Anyone see anything wrong with that?

I have a howa in a 204 ruger and the magazine has a block plate in it. I would imagine a 223 would be the same. So it’s a short action with a block plate in the magazine.

Reactions: jLorenzo
I would go KRG chassis unless you are trying to do a super budget build then yeah Boyds is fine.[/Quote

^^^ This.

I was very tempted by the KRG Bravo for the Howa short action they will be shipping by July or August, but since KRG does not offer a chassis for the Howa long action, I went all MDT. Paying twice the price of the barreled action for the chassis was a bit hard to swallow, but that is compared to a super deal on the barreled action.

So I’m now all set. Thank you to all who helped educate me. I will report back once I have both rifles running.

I emailed KRG a while back about the 180 X-Ray, it was available for the Howa 1500 SA for a time, but they have discontinued it only to continue offering it in the CZ455. They did confirm that they will be shipping the Bravo chassis for the Howa soon. I too ordered a Howa 1500 Barreled action, 20 inch in .308 to build off of. Was originally going to go with the X-ray, but I'm happy the Bravo will be available soon.
howa 1500 still available here:
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...-xray-180-chassis-short-action-prod85572.aspx

Guys, how about a bit of mentoring please. Would the Howa heavy barrel 26" in 6.5 Creedmoor be a good choice for 1000 yd accuracy...MOA to sub moa groups ? I'd stock it in the KRG Bravo as discussed. My concerns is Howa barrel accuracy. Also...is 26" the right length or is 24" the right length for this caliber.

Guys, how about a bit of mentoring please. Would the Howa heavy barrel 26" in 6.5 Creedmoor be a good choice for 1000 yd accuracy...MOA to sub moa groups ? I'd stock it in the KRG Bravo as discussed. My concerns is Howa barrel accuracy. Also...is 26" the right length or is 24" the right length for this caliber.
My 26" barreled .308 regularly prints sub-moa groups. In my first PRS style match with it, I hit 3 of 9 at 1043 yards with it with some pretty tricky winds.

Don't worry about its accuracy...

The 26" barrel is good to go. As far as accuracy there is a good chance it will shoot sub Moa but no guarantees.

The Howa Bravo would have been my first choice for the short action. Since I was buying stocks for short, long, and .22, I went all MDT and am happy with my choices.

Now need to get them all put together.

I suspect this will prove to be a much bigger project when I end up having the action trued for new custom barrels, but at least I’m starting with quality parts that can be repurposed later on down the road.

I think im going Boyd's. You can purchase pretty much custom length of pull, comb adjustment built in, and limb saver for $236 plus shipping. Anyone see anything wrong with that?

I think boyds is a good option but you may have to install pillars and bed it so you get the best accuracy possible out of it.

I think boyds is a good option but you may have to install pillars and bed it so you get the best accuracy possible out of it.

This is correct. I must admit to being old enough to appreciate the look of a traditional stock, but a chassis does eliminate the chore of pillars and bedding.

That’s 0ne of the reasons I have MDT chassis inbound.

I want one of those barreled actions to go in that stock, run the legacy sports magazines and call it good.

Ya ended up going with the MDT made specifically for Brownells. Its normally 500 on sale for 399.99 and they had 10% off plus free shipping yesterday. I already have a LSS buttstock so we will see what happens.

Ya ended up going with the MDT made specifically for Brownells. Its normally 500 on sale for 399.99 and they had 10% off plus free shipping yesterday. I already have a LSS buttstock so we will see what happens.

I'd been waiting on a 10% at Brownells. Wish I had seen that yesterday.

Picked up a 20" Varmint .308 Howa action. Went with a lightweight Legendary Arms Work stock. Had to seriously hog out the barrel channel and bed it but the gun shoots Factory 175gr FGMM at 1/2" MOA.

I wouldn't worry much about accuracy with these actions.

I totally understand. What difference is there in between the Legacy Sports mags and CDI (uses AI mags)? AI mags allow longer bullets? Anybody know how long you can fit in a legacy sports?
What would the cost difference be? Honestly it's probably worth it to spring to the CDI, I just like the plug and play part with the Legacy Sports. Great idea that more companies need to get with.

Anybody have experience with that Bell and Carlson?
Also how are the Howa chambers in 6.5? Short, long, right or wrong?

These barreled actions should be replacing the r700 as the default "go to" for a build. They are dead simple, tough as hell and accurate.
I love seeing more and more companies getting behind them with components!
They do seem to be rock solid. Maybe even a little more so than a Tikka. Ive been debating between the 2 but I'm leaning towards one of these in the B&C target/comp adjustable comb stock. For not much more cash than the Tikka by itself.

Has anybody changed a bolt handle on a Howa? I like the factory ones but prefer a big ball style.