• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 builds **post them**

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hello all,

So being a Howa owner, it's always nice to see what modifications or changes others do to theirs. Plus, the howa 1500 action is a great shooting platform and typically very very accurate. I noticed there is no such thread and decided i should start one seeing as how Bergara, Tikka, RPR, etc all have one. I'll start off with mine.

20171207_160530.jpg
    20171112_145130.jpg
    20171019_184214.jpg

20171118_164224.jpg
    20171223_093010-1209x1612.jpg

In the pics, she is sporting a weaver tactical 3-15x50. I have now mounted a Bushnell lrhs 4.5-18x44 and will get pics up with it when I get a chance.

Back in the day before the switch to scout we did have a good thread listing all the options, accessories, parts, and smiths for Howas as they weren't as popular back then. I think VJJpunisher had one of my personal favorite builds, especially with the iron sights.

Hopefully i will have an addition to add to this soon.

How she sits now.

Nightforce 20 moa base

Ken Farrell low rings (really like how low these rings get, scope is practically sitting on the rail)

Bushnell elite LRHSi 4.5-18x44

Custom krylon paint job (definitely did not come out the way I anticipated, will remove paint job soon and repaint differently)
    20180831_121326.jpg
    20180831_121309.jpg
    20180831_121228.jpg
    20180831_121207.jpg

Has anyone had experience with the Howa HS-Precision rifle?

I just tried removing the paint off mine, but I realized the worn look gave it some character so I didn't remove it all. I'll keep it a while like this and later on do a different paint job. The next paint job will be full rifle. That includes chassis, BA, and buttstock. Below are pics of how I left it now.

20180901_201715.jpg
    20180901_201727.jpg
    20180901_201740.jpg
    20180901_201754.jpg
    20180901_201828.jpg
    20180901_202024.jpg
    20180901_202049.jpg
    20180901_203112.jpg

Reactions: jLorenzo
    Here is mine so far....

Howa 6.5 Creedmoor, 24" threaded barreled action from Brownells sale
    KRG Bravo Chassis with Butt Hook cover & extended magazine release
    Burris 25 MOA Rail
    Burris 34mm Signature Tactical Rings
    Burris XTR-II 5-25x50 scope in FDE

Howa-Bravo-1.jpg

Here is the first 100 yard group after doing the recommended 20 shot break-in process...

Howa-breakin4.jpg

Still to come - Bipod, SilencerCo ASR Muzzle Brake, Bolt Handle.

Howa 1500
    Criterion Barrel 6.5CM 1:8T 26"
    ThunderBeast CB Brake (for Ultra 9 can)
    Bighorn Barrel nut system,
    Manners T4A Stock,
    Timney Trigger (forget which model),
    DBM from Manners,
    NightForce ATACR 7-35x plus NF Rings
    EGW 20MOA Rail

Action is 3 years old and just rebarreled this season with new prefit from Criterion. Great system! The load below is a factory ammo clone that I use for practice. Holds .5moa or just under nearly every outing. The 10 shot group CB and second shot are know to be at 1 and 10 consistently with this load.

Bottom picture Berger VLD hunts shoot about .1-.2 better than the ELD 140s shown.
    IMG_20180705_113909.jpg

IMG_20180705_113924.jpg

IMG_20180704_221716.jpg

IMG_20180822_203558.jpg

IMG_20180804_191847.jpg

Picture above: 3 shot zero test Berger VLD Hunt and on right is 3shot 140ELDM. Berger's are used for matches and they hold .3-.4 over 5 shots and sub .5-.6 for 10shots.

Has anyone had experience with the Howa HS-Precision rifle?
    I don't but have had lots of time on Howa's and other HS Precision stocks for different rifles. They are pretty good but personally, I'd buy the barreled action you want (300-400 from Brownells) and add the best stock to suit your needs.

May save some money but also gives ability to customize your rifle and not waste money on a stock you might not like or that doesn't fit you well.

Purchased a Howa 1500 barreled action w/ 20" barrel from Brownell's back in March, after getting home in July I put it in a KRG Bravo FDE chassis. Mounted a Nightforce SD 20 MOA base and Vortex Pro 30mm low rings, and put a Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 on top. Barrel was uncut, so I had it threaded for a muzzle brake, which is a VG6 Gamma 762, also had the bolt handle threaded for an oversized knob while it was out. Barrel and action were Cerakoted in Black Graphite, while I had the bolt knob, brake and bolt hood coated in FDE. Trigger has also been upgraded to the adjustable Howa Trigger from Timney set to around 1.5 pounds. I'm incredibly happy with how this build turned out. Planning on shooting it for a while,

Attachments

• Howa.jpg
      Howa.jpg
      247.5 KB · Views: 548
    Hello all,

So being a Howa owner, it's always nice to see what modifications or changes others do to theirs. Plus, the howa 1500 action is a great shooting platform and typically very very accurate. I noticed there is no such thread and decided i should start one seeing as how Bergara, Tikka, RPR, etc all have one. I'll start off with mine.

View attachment 6938604View attachment 6938605View attachment 6938606
    View attachment 6938607View attachment 6938608

In the pics, she is sporting a weaver tactical 3-15x50. I have now mounted a Bushnell lrhs 4.5-18x44 and will get pics up with it when I get a chance.
    Here are some pics of my updated rifle. I think I'll start removing it's current paint job now tho...View attachment 6939143View attachment 6939144View attachment 6939145View attachment 6939146

I wanted to as you two before but forgot. Can you remove the sling swivel from the handguard. I would most likely use an Atlas so that looks in the way of a rail section.

I wanted to as you two before but forgot. Can you remove the sling swivel from the handguard. I would most likely use an Atlas so that looks in the way of a rail section.

I wish I had a definite answer but truly, I don't know. Looking at it now, it seems as if it is removable but your best bet would be to contact Matt @ LSI. He works for legacy sports which is the importer of Howa!

yes, the sling stud is removable, its simply threaded into the handguard.

Its the pro varmint. The cheek piece is just a piece of aluminum that I bent to fit. I'm getting ready to do some load development and I'll post some pics

New here, been lurking for a while and I've learned much watching Lowlight's videos.

I got a Howa 308 Heavy Barrel action from Brownells. Had it threaded.

Here is how she sits. Burris base is on backorder ATM. I have yet to put the muzzle device on.

I bought a blem from KRG this past weekend, Bravo rear and X-Ray front.

Action is very smooth and I can't wait to shoot her.

ETA: What's the best way to adjust the 2 stage trigger? It's got a pretty heavy trigger

fSxpyEl.jpg

Last edited:
    New here, been lurking for a while and I've learned much watching Lowlight's videos.

I got a Howa 308 Heavy Barrel action from Brownells. Had it threaded.

Here is how she sits. Burris base is on backorder ATM. I have yet to put the muzzle device on.

I bought a blem from KRG this past weekend, Bravo rear and X-Ray front.

Action is very smooth and I can't wait to shoot her.

ETA: What's the best way to adjust the 2 stage trigger? It's got a pretty heavy trigger

fSxpyEl.jpg

Good to see you over here.

Howa 1500 Trigger Adjustment

Have a good weekend,
    Bob S.

Howa 1500 SA in a McMillan A5, 26" Krieger 1-8tw bbl in 6XC. PTG Stealth DBM, EGW 20 MOA rail, TPS TSR low rings, Vortex Viper 6-24x50 PST. CeraKoted FDE.

Attachments

• DSC_0032.JPG
      DSC_0032.JPG
      484.1 KB · Views: 603
    Kind of a test piece - Howa 1500SA, trued receiver face & lug seats, chambered & fitted a 26" Bartlein 1-8.5 in 260 Improved 30*, Harrels brake. McMillan A5, 70% blk/30% med grey marble, PTG Stealth DBM, EGW 20 MOA rail, Sightron SIII 6-24x50 Mil Hash. 5-shot group with S123MK at 100yds. Liked this rifle a bit more than a similar one built on a M700 SA, but a friend of a friend came along, looking for something just like it, so.... IIRC, I used sniper grey CK on it.

Attachments

• DSC_0853.JPG
      DSC_0853.JPG
      536.2 KB · Views: 951
    • DSC_0856.JPG
      DSC_0856.JPG
      326.9 KB · Views: 665
    Man!!! You guys have some pretty sick builds. Makes me think mine is ugly and that I should go with a traditional stock rather than chassis lol.

Well, I've enjoyed building & shooting on the full-sized 1500 actions, but when LSI announced the availability of the Mini action in 6.5 Grendel, it really got my attention. I got a couple of these bbl'd actions directly from LSI, and pulled the Grendel bbl to be replaced with a Bartlein light Palma 1-8tw 6mm blank with their 5R rifling, chambered for my favorite 6.5 Grendel-based wildcat - the 6RAT. I finished it at 24", threaded the muzzle for a TBAC CB flash suppressor, and CeraKoted it in Magpul FDE. McMillan asked me to send them a Mini bbl'd action to model the inlet off of, so I sent them a spare in 222 Rem. They got me a stock in the SAKO Varmint shape in good time, and that's what I put the RAT bbl'd action into. However, I wasn't happy with the proportions of this stock for prone shooting, so swapped it out for a Game Scout in the same desert ambush marbled finish. The Achilles heel of these Mini actions is the plastic BM, and true to form, the rear action screw hole on mine split when I torqued it to 45 in/lbs. So, I bought a couple of DIP's aluminum DBM replacements, and have been very pleased with the one on the RAT, though I haven't taken the time to CeraKote it to match the bbl'd action yet. EGW & Warne were the first companies that I knew of to make 0 or 20 MOA scope rails for the little Mini actions, and I've used both with no problems. Also did the trigger mod outlined in the video at the beginning of this thread, and have been very pleased with the results - a very crisp, clean break at 1.2lbs. I put an Athlon Ares 4.5-27x50 mil scope in TPS TSR low rings on this rifle, and it's a joy to shoot with my TBAC Ultra 7 can mounted. It's no 6mm hot rod, but is very accurate, and very easy to shoot.

Attachments

• DSC_1168.JPG
      DSC_1168.JPG
      538.8 KB · Views: 525
    Beau
    Well, I've enjoyed building & shooting on the full-sized 1500 actions, but when LSI announced the availability of the Mini action in 6.5 Grendel, it really got my attention. I got a couple of these bbl'd actions directly from LSI, and pulled the Grendel bbl to be replaced with a Bartlein light Palma 1-8tw 6mm blank with their 5R rifling, chambered for my favorite 6.5 Grendel-based wildcat - the 6RAT. I finished it at 24", threaded the muzzle for a TBAC CB flash suppressor, and CeraKoted it in Magpul FDE. McMillan asked me to send them a Mini bbl'd action to model the inlet off of, so I sent them a spare in 222 Rem. They got me a stock in the SAKO Varmint shape in good time, and that's what I put the RAT bbl'd action into. However, I wasn't happy with the proportions of this stock for prone shooting, so swapped it out for a Game Scout in the same desert ambush marbled finish. The Achilles heel of these Mini actions is the plastic BM, and true to form, the rear action screw hole on mine split when I torqued it to 45 in/lbs. So, I bought a couple of DIP's aluminum DBM replacements, and have been very pleased with the one on the RAT, though I haven't taken the time to CeraKote it to match the bbl'd action yet. EGW & Warne were the first companies that I knew of to make 0 or 20 MOA scope rails for the little Mini actions, and I've used both with no problems. Also did the trigger mod outlined in the video at the beginning of this thread, and have been very pleased with the results - a very crisp, clean break at 1.2lbs. I put an Athlon Ares 4.5-27x50 mil scope in TPS TSR low rings on this rifle, and it's a joy to shoot with my TBAC Ultra 7 can mounted. It's no 6mm hot rod, but is very accurate, and very easy to shoot.

Beauty of a rifle!!!

Howa 1500
    Criterion Barrel 6.5CM 1:8T 26"
    ThunderBeast CB Brake (for Ultra 9 can)
    Bighorn Barrel nut system,
    Manners T4A Stock,
    Timney Trigger (forget which model),
    DBM from Manners,
    NightForce ATACR 7-35x plus NF Rings
    EGW 20MOA Rail

Action is 3 years old and just rebarreled this season with new prefit from Criterion. Great system! The load below is a factory ammo clone that I use for practice. Holds .5moa or just under nearly every outing. The 10 shot group CB and second shot are know to be at 1 and 10 consistently with this load.

Bottom picture Berger VLD hunts shoot about .1-.2 better than the ELD 140s shown.
    View attachment 6939314
    View attachment 6939318
    View attachment 6939319
    View attachment 6939324
    View attachment 6939337
    Picture above: 3 shot zero test Berger VLD Hunt and on right is 3shot 140ELDM. Berger's are used for matches and they hold .3-.4 over 5 shots and sub .5-.6 for 10shots.
    Sweet rifle. All of you guys very cool stuff should be a sticky.

Guess I'll need to take some pics with my crap phone and play......Will do this weekend.

Just ordered a B/A from Brownnells and it’s delivering Monday. 308 with heavy 20 inch barrel. I have one I installed a 3b contour Bartlein 1/8 twist in 6.5 Creedmoor. I put it in a B&C stock in dark brown with black webbing to use for a hunting rifle. There is a post on a thread somewhere about changing the spring on the trigger and I’ve done it to mine. Pull is about 2 lbs. and very good. I plan to rebarrel the new one but I’m going to try it out first. I have a sporter hid out in the back of my safe I may have to drag out to do my build on if the 308 is a good shooter. I’ll see if I can find the thread on the trigger mod. I’ve got my lathe trued up so I’ve got to turn something.

If I recall correctly, yours is sitting in an XRAY right?
    Both of them

1-12 308, KRG 180-Xray, EGW 20 MOA base, Burris rings, SWFA 3-15X42 mil, Harris knock-off that tilts and pans, Timney trigger (2 lb), Witt Machine clamp-on thread adapter, VG6 Gamma 762 brake, QuickLoad bolt-on bolt knob, Magpul and Alpha AICS magazines.
    Howa 1500 308 KRG.jpg

1500 308 ten shot group at 100 yds. The X ring on that target (NRA 100 yd smallbore) is 1", the ten ring is 2".
    Howa 10 shot group.jpg

1-9 223, KRG 180-Xray, Nightforce 20 MOA base, Burris rings, SWFA 16X42 mil, Harris knock-off that tilts and pans, HACT 2 stage trigger, QuickLoad bolt-on bolt knob, MDT polymer AICS magazines.
    Howa 1500 223 KRG.jpg

Attachments

• Howa 223.jpeg
      Howa 223.jpeg
      135 KB · Views: 317
    • Howa 308.jpeg
      Howa 308.jpeg
      143.4 KB · Views: 320
    Last edited:
    Finally finished the latest Mini build in 20 Tactical - or almost finished. Will shoot it a bit before CeraKoting; think I'm going to need to pull the Bartlein 1-9tw bbl to throat it for the Berger 55 BTHPs I want to try in this one. The 20 cal throating reamer I ordered from PTG has shipped, should be here next week, so I need to get busy loading some 40gr VMax & 39 Sierras to see how they'll shoot.

Boyds ProVarmint in blue/grey laminate, adj cp, laser stippled grip & forearm, DIP DBM. EGW 20 MOA scope base, an old Nikon 30mm 4-16x50 in steel TPS TSR low rings. Little sucker weighs 10-3/4lbs, even with a #2 contour bbl. & w/o the Harris bipod - guess that's what you get with laminated stock & adj cp. I put a TBAC 1/2-28 22 cal CB mount on it so I can run it with the Ultra 7 - bet it'll be pretty darned quiet. I glued in pillars, then bedded with Marine Tex - hoping it shoots good enough to justifiy the time & $$ put into it. 2nd photo is a shot of a fireformed 20 Tac case left, 223 case right.

Attachments

• DSC_1170.JPG
      DSC_1170.JPG
      411.5 KB · Views: 520
    • DSC_1167.JPG
      DSC_1167.JPG
      170.9 KB · Views: 453
    Finally finished the latest Mini build in 20 Tactical - or almost finished. Will shoot it a bit before CeraKoting; think I'm going to need to pull the Bartlein 1-9tw bbl to throat it for the Berger 55 BTHPs I want to try in this one. The 20 cal throating reamer I ordered from PTG has shipped, should be here next week, so I need to get busy loading some 40gr VMax & 39 Sierras to see how they'll shoot.

Boyds ProVarmint in blue/grey laminate, adj cp, laser stippled grip & forearm, DIP DBM. EGW 20 MOA scope base, an old Nikon 30mm 4-16x50 in steel TPS TSR low rings. Little sucker weighs 10-3/4lbs, even with a #2 contour bbl. & w/o the Harris bipod - guess that's what you get with laminated stock & adj cp. I put a TBAC 1/2-28 22 cal CB mount on it so I can run it with the Ultra 7 - bet it'll be pretty darned quiet. I glued in pillars, then bedded with Marine Tex - hoping it shoots good enough to justifiy the time & $$ put into it. 2nd photo is a shot of a fireformed 20 Tac case left, 223 case right.
    Very cool. Any reason for going 20 tac over 20 practical? Not super familiar with either. How do they compare to 204 ruger?

Mainly wanted the 30* shoulder of the Tactical - 20 Practical is easier to form (just neck 223 down to 20). The Practical probably has just a tad more case capacity, since the Tactical pushes the shoulder back a few thou in order to get the longer neck. Would be surprised if the 204 Ruger will produce much more velocity than the Tactical, but will have to see how this one does. I've built a couple of 204s for customers in the past, but never got any trigger time with either of them in for myself.

I'd originally planned to build myself another 20 VarTarg, as I had built a nice one several years ago for myself, but wound up selling it to a guy who was getting ready to go on a guided prairie dog shoot up in the Dakotas. There just aren't enough dog towns left out here to make it worth having a good PD rifle - this one will get used with the Berger 55s on coyotes. Besides, R-P 221 Fireball brass was crap the last time I bought any for the VarTarg, and using Lapua would mean I'd have to neck turn...so the 20 Tactical got built instead.

I love that! More info please!!!
    Truly, it's nothing special... factory (heavy/#6) barreled action (from Brownell's) with the barrel cut to 16.25" and threaded 5/8-24 for a SiCo ASR brake/mount. The rail is from Warne, and is 0 MOA inclination. I've tweaked the factory trigger via the spring cutting method and it's a VERY nice two stage with a break right at 1.25 pounds. IMO, unless you just can't live with a two-stage trigger and/or a plastic trigger shoe, there's no reason to buy an aftermarket trigger for these rifles.

Anyhow, the stock is a factory Howa piece that came with a .223-chambered Howa mini action that I bought at Cabela's a couple years back, and I just did a backyard special of a Krylon job on it. The scope is a little Zeiss Conquest 3-9 that I had sitting around, and the rings are (horror of horrors) vertically split low Warnes. Bottom "metal" and magazine are completely factory, and the bolt handle job was done by a local 'smith (Penty Wheeler of Penty's Gun Clinic in Royse City, TX).

The whole thing weighs a touch over 7 pounds as it sits with no ammo in it, and as basic as it is, it might be my favorite gun to shoot right now. At this point, using Tula steel case hollow points, it averages around 1.5 MOA with a best group right at 1 MOA. I just finished putting together some hand loads for it, using Win brass and .311 caliber 150gr Sierra soft points. We'll have to see how she shoots with somewhat decent ammo.

20180906_211019.jpg
    20180906_211019.jpg
    20180907_180617.jpg

Some more. Gonna need another scope so I can keep my Argos BTR on my 22.

Reactions: Messer
    @stello1001 @jLorenzo

Just to remind the haters/doubters how well these rifles can shoot.....

Ten rounds from my 308, which has 4310 rounds down the bore. This group measured approximately .75" (.72 MOA, .27 mils) CTC. The shot on the upper left is the clean cold bore shot and is included in the group measurement. No mulligans.

The target is a .1 mil grid that I made on Excel

Howa 1500 10 shot grp 2018.jpg

Last edited:
    @stello1001 @jLorenzo

Just to remind the haters/doubters how well these rifles can shoot.....

Ten rounds from my 308, which has 4310 rounds down the bore. This group measured approximately .75" (.72 MOA, .27 mils) CTC. The shot on the upper left is the clean cold bore shot and is included in the group measurement. No mulligans.

The target is a .1 mil grid that I made on Excel

View attachment 6943944
    I've gotten similar accuracy on mine but with 5 shot groups not ten. This was factory ammo tho, not even handloads!!!

Reactions: jLorenzo