• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa .243 for Medium range steel shooting???

jc98ss

Swansonisms
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2010
Middle TN
Hey guys,
Just looking for a little feedback on Howa rifles......I recently did some steel shooting with a friend and it was so much fun...I'm hooked......I need a rig and have been eyeballing a Howa .243.....I was trying to decide calibers and thinking .308.....but I was recently given everything I need to reload .243 from another friend who sold his rifle, brass included.....Would this be a good caliber to start out shooting steel plates from 250-700yds?......Also plan to do a little whitetail hunting with it this season (probably not past 300 though)

What kind of quality could I expect out of these rifles?.....How many shots until the factory barrel wears on a .243?......I have a Zeiss 3.5-10x50 mildot ready to go on, and whatever I buy I want it to be an attractive rifle, would this one be a good starter?
Custom Howa .243 Thumbhole GunBroker

Re: Howa .243 for Medium range steel shooting???

The 243 factory twist rate is too slow to stabilize heavy 6mm bullets, but is excellent and accurate for lightweight bullets.

The 308 may be a better choice for 500 yards out.

Excellent guns.

The stock you're looking at would have to be rebedded to fit your new rifle, there are many nice stocks available for the Howa.

Re: Howa .243 for Medium range steel shooting???

thanks hellbender......you're right, from what i can tell Howa has good aftermarket support.....i forgot to add that i would also be doing alot of varmint/coyote shooting with this rifle outside of deer season......i have had a couple of .308's (a while back) and really always wanted to try a .243, maybe even a .260 one day.