• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa .243

jc98ss

Swansonisms
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2010
Middle TN
4 years ago I built my dad a semi-custom Howa .243. It had a heavy barrel and thumbhole stock that I finished myself. I chose .243 because i know he had a bad right shoulder several years back and i wanted to build him something that was light on recoil. i ordered the barreled action and stock, then several hours of sanding began. i added a limbsaver recoil pad, a set of pillars and a marine tex bed. after it was all said and done, he had a brand new rifle waiting for him Christmas morning.

little did i know, it would live in his closet for the next four years. he never showed the least bit of interest in it, never scoped it, never even chambered one round, completely smashing the idea that me and my brother had to get him into shooting so he'd hang out with us a little.

skip forward to two weeks ago, my dad quits his job. my phone rings a couple of days after that and he tells me that he thinks he might need to sell the rifle. my brother immediately goes to buy it from him before he does something stupid like pawning it for $150.

here is the first group my brother shot that was four years in the making. the old dust collector closet Howa kind of made me proud.

5 shots to zero the Zeiss + DNZ mount, shots #6,7,8 = .391" center to center @100yds from bipod and sandbag with 62gr varmint grenade reloads made for a different rifle. (the big hole is from a 45/70 marlin, just testing the zero, the pics were on gunbroker once, we listed the rifle with a super high reserve for shits and giggles just to see what kind of bids we'd get)
IMG959550-1.jpg

howa1.jpg

howa2.jpg

howa3.jpg

howa4.jpg

Re: Howa .243

thanks fellas.....Howa definitely lived up to their reputation with this one....i can only imagine things will tighten up a tiny bit with a few more rounds through the barrel and with working up a load......only cost me 600 to build, and the best part is recoil with this setup is literally like shooting an AR15.....props to DNZ too, i was a little "iffy" of them since i'm used to more of a tactical setup, but it's held true on the big 45/70 so i knew this one would have no problem

That is an awesome looking gun. Howa's shoot well. Mine was a sporter barrel and a custom stock. Good thing that you didn't let that one slip away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a very nice looking stock. Where did you get it? </div></div>
thanks, the stock is a Richard's Microfit Right Hand Dual Grip Thumbhole in black/grey laminate with Rosewood tip and cap (i really like their dual grip models because, even though this one is a RH thumbhole, it can still be shot by a lefty)....my little bro loved this rifle from day one.....funny how things work out.

we got to go shooting again today.....this thing loves Federal 85gr HP Gamekings......it shot four in just over .25 inch group.....he also had good luck with Federal 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, they printed .6-.75" groups.......can't wait to film my little bro smash a deer with this

anyone know how the 85gr Hollow Point Gamekings perform on deer out to 350yds?