• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa .260 Build from Tim Click Custom Rifles

rwest309

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Artesia NM
As promised...pics of a bad ass howa built by Tim Click

Let me try on the specs

Bartlein tight bore F Class Contour in .260 Rem cut at 22"
Manners T4A in GAP Desert Camo
CDI Bottom Metal/Mag system for S/A Howa
Timney Trigger breaking at 2.0# crisp
20 MOA base (EGW) from Legacy after a month or two wait
ATS Rings
USO 3.2-17X Snipers Hide Limited Edition #4 mil dot reticle
Custom short tactical bolt knob w/260 Rem case inset
Everything cerakote in Flat Dark Earth

I shot it....It is phenomenal. I shot 5 and cleaned it then shot a 5 shot group measuring .246 That was shots number 6,7,8,9,10. I was amazed at how accurate it was especially with me shooting it off a bipod.

The load was 42 grains of RL17 in Virgin Nosler Custom weight sorted brass with wolf primers and a 139 Lapua Scenar. Same load I shoot in my .260 with RP brass but It was showing a bit of sticky bolt lift in the Nosler stuff so I will probably back off a bit but it served its purpose today. I only had 20 loaded up to get the scope dialed in and ready for the new owner.

Re: Howa .260 Build from Tim Click Custom Rifles

A build like this will help Howa's bid as one of the tac rifle capable contenders with regards to actions to build on. Nice rifle!

I love the bolt handle too. Takes a minute to notice it but when you do...man it is slick It is a far cry from the nikko stirling scope and houge overmolded od green stock it came with I know that much.

rwest, was anything done to the action itself? Meaning truing, timing, etc.? Just wondering what other people, besides Pete Lincoln, are doing/can do for Howas.

Thanks!

I know the bolt face was enlarged and a larger extractor installed as this was initially a .223 rifle, reciever face/lugs were touched on but no timing was done that I am aware of. According to the builder the action was closer to true from the factory than any other factory action he had worked previously.

I think the howa is a grossly overlooked base for semi custom builds. There is alot to like about them. Flat bottoms for easy bedding, integral recoil lugs like the high dollar customs, positive mechanical extraction...etc. The barrels being hard to take off and setting up for metric threads seem to be the only negative I can think of.

Nothing a little time, a pipe wrench, and a 6 foot cheater wont cure though. I know one thing I bet you will never see a factory blued howa take off barrel for sale in the classifieds here. They make good handles for reloading presses though or little jack handles... LOL

I think there is a pretty good representation of aftermarket parts, nothing like remington but still there are good stocks, good bottom metal, bases, triggers, what else could one possibly need? None of it was really hard to find either. Good parts and a willing smith should be able to handle a Howa build with ease...oh and a big wad of cash too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to the builder the action was closer to true from the factory than any other factory action he had worked previously.
</div></div>

This has been mentioned in several previous threads... May need to take a closer look at Howas. I have just recently done a Howa trigger job on a factory trigger and it was really easy to get a good trigger feel. The factory trigger weight and feel was not so good but cleans up good.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please post contact info for Tim Click.

Thanks!
</div></div>

PM Sent

Nice, now you have to shoot the tactical match in Roswell with us.

yeah that bolt handle is awesome. Is that a one off thing or does anyone else make one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please post contact info for Tim Click.

Thanks!
</div></div>

Me To if you don't mind.

Very nice! Still working on that 6.5-284?

I bought a .308 Click rifle from Bobby and couldn't be happier. This summer I plan on sending a box-o-parts Tim's way for another build.

Im still a bit misty eyed about the surgeon build Mike. I drag out the pics you sent every now and then to reminisce. That rifle is spectacular in every respect...even better now that it has the premier hubble riding up top.

As far as the 6.5-284 I snuck in on the tail end of the rock group buy and ordered an ABS wrapped 6.5 Im thinking about getting a surgeon round long repeater and getting in on the ongoing manners group buy for a 90% carbon in desert gap camo. I have a while to wait on the barrel but I really need to get the stock settled and order an action.

Click built this Howa for my boss. I spoke to him today about a new rifle he is currently building...for me. He said he got the chamber cut today and will be cutting / crowning and threading for a surefire brake tomorrow. I will post pics hopefully as early as next week.

Nice build, I have a Vanguard in 257 WBY that will not shoot straight. I am in the process of collecting the pieces to have it re-barreled to 7mm Rem Mag. Good to know the actions are worth building on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the piece of brass in the bolt handle is titties!

nice rig</div></div>

Thats awesome. Very nice rig tho, I love the colors in that camo.