• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 6.5 Creedmoor barreled action

LR1845

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2021
Nevada
Like to hear what you guys think about the Howa barreled actions from Brownells...I am thinking about a 6.5CM Howa barreled action in a KRG Brovo for a NRL Hunter rifle.

Are they decent actions? Any issues?

I've got a couple rifles built just like that, and they're fine and plenty fit for that purpose. Not the smoothest action, or the finest finish, but they run well and they shoot well.

Reactions: LR1845
I just built this exact setup. Brownells Action, KRG Bravo. After its first session out. I went back to KRG and ordered the adjustable buttpad.

I've shot 2 NRLH matches with a Howa 1500 that I installed a barrel nut Criterion barrel on in 6.5CM. It's in a MDT LSS-XL.

The only issue I had was in that MDT chassis you have to run polymer mags. The MDT ones that worked had a COAL that was less than my load, so I ended up using Magpul AICS which would give me feeding problems maybe twice a match. Cost a few points at least once fiddling with that. I probably should've just changed my load, but whatever.

Sorry, dont mean to thread jack but this thread is very specific. Anyone use PMAGS with this combo?

Note to OP: Buy however many mags you think you need/want from KRG when you purchase the Chassis. I could not find them cheaper any where else after the $10 discount.

I did get my hands on a cheap used .308 AX 5 rounder thinking it would work (not knowing any better). It worked is tight and does not drop free but I had to make some "adjustments" to it.

They are fine rifles. I own 3 of them and all 3 work fine. However, two of them are minis and one is a short action in 6.5cm. I don't run MDT chassis/stocks on any but my 6.5cm does have a chassis. I use AI style pmags in it and the rifle works fine that way.

Screenshot_20231222_114726_Gallery.jpg

Thanks for all the replies I’m really leaning towards this combo for an NRLH rifle.

I'm looking at these as well for a future hunting rifle build. Good to hear they're working well. I'm torn on doing this and dropping it into a MDT Oryx chassis vs buying something like a Tikka and having to change the stock out later. This would be strictly a hunting rifle for myself out to 300 yards. Other than the Tikka action possibly being smoother and it would be in stainless is there any reason not to consider the Howa barreled action?

LR

Reactions: MO Fugga
If you choose an Oryx I think you can only use MDT AICS magazines, which seems limiting to me.

The new MDT Field Stock is available for the Howa but only through Brownells. I understand it’s magazine well is the same dimensions as the MDT ACC, which I have, and it works with MagPul AICS and AI brand AICS.

The KRG Bravo is also worth a look, though I have no personal experience with it.

-Stan

If you choose an Oryx I think you can only use MDT AICS magazines, which seems limiting to me.

The new MDT Field Stock is available for the Howa but only through Brownells. I understand it’s magazine well is the same dimensions as the MDT ACC, which I have, and it works with MagPul AICS and AI brand AICS.

The KRG Bravo is also worth a look, though I have no personal experience with it.

-Stan
I don't have experience with the Oryx yet but it would be disappointing if didn't accept all AICS pattern magazines. From a quick google search it seems other people have been able to different brands of that style magazine with it.

I've looked at other style chassis/stock but they just don't appeal to me.

LR

I don't have experience with the Oryx yet but it would be disappointing if didn't accept all AICS pattern magazines. From a quick google search it seems other people have been able to different brands of that style magazine with it.

I've looked at other style chassis/stock but they just don't appeal to me.

LR
From the MDT website “Howa 1500 SA / Weatherby Vanguard SA inlets use polymer magazines.”

So, no metal magazines for Oryx / Howa combination.

-Stan

IMG_1124.jpeg

From the MDT website “Howa 1500 SA / Weatherby Vanguard SA inlets use polymer magazines.”

So, no metal magazines for Oryx / Howa combination.

-Stan
So it's specific to that action. Makes sense, I think the posts I was reading were referring to Savage SA.

Having to use polymer magazines is not the end of the world for me.

LR.

Howa long action, Oryx chassis, Pmags. Shoots better than I do.

-Stan

Attachments

• 20221117_175351.jpg
    20221117_175351.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: stanley_white