• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa action/chamber consistency

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
Short version: I played musical barrels with a pair of Howa actions/barrels, and installed a .308 barrel that began life on action X onto action Y, and not only was the head space in spec, it was tighter than a nun's.... habit. Go gauge went in and chambered without a hitch, while the bolt handle baaaaaarely begins its downward travel with the no-go gauge in place.

Longer version: I recently took advantage of a sale that Brownell's was having on a hunter-weight 6mm Creedmoor barreled action (22 inch barrel). Already having a 6mm Creedmoor built on a Howa action (with a hunter-weight barrel... finished at 22 inches...) that began life as a .308, I have been arguing with myself over what to do with this new barreled action. Build a duplicate of the one I already have? Eh, maybe. What about a 22 Creedmoor? Nah, not feelin' it... already have a 22-250 that doesn't get shot. 6.5 Creedmoor is a base that's already covered with another rifle. 7mm-08? Nah, got one of those, too. Oooooh, I know... what about .338 Federal? Yeah, that has possibilities... except the more that I looked at it, the more I concluded that (most) .338 projectiles are intended to be driven faster than a short-ish barreled .338 Federal can drive them, and while they might still function as intended (for hunting purposes) out to 200-300 yards, I really want to have more flexibility than that. What about something kooky? Like, something that NO ONE is doing?? What about.... wait for it.... .308?

I can get a pre-fit barrel, and I already have the head space gauges, and I already have a muzzle brake/ASR mount, and I need to order scope rings, and which stock should I run, and.... hold on. Did I *really* conclude that I could get a pre-fit barrel in .308? When I have a perfectly good Howa takeoff barrel in .308 (left over from my 6mm Creedmoor build) sitting in a closet in a silicone sock? What are the odds that... nah. I'm not that lucky. Besides, nearly everyone who sells pre-fits for Howas uses a barrel nut architecture; there's gotta be a reason for that, right? Well, as it turns out, either I *am* that lucky, or Howa is just that consistent... take your pick. The head space, as I checked it, is just as tight as I set them when I install a barrel with a barrel nut, and while I would (for this rifle) prefer a lighter barrel profile (this one is Howa's #6/heavy contour), I'll take a .5-ish pound weight penalty to save a few hundred dollars (over buying a pre-fit in a lighter contour).

So, because fate likes to yank my chain, I am going to end up with a Howa in 6mm Creedmoor built on an action that began life as a .308, and a Howa in .308 "built" on an action that began life as a 6mm Creedmoor.

Brownell's needs to have more sales on these barreled actions like they use to... I missed out on the most recent one.

I think is a good chance Howa is consistent. I will be able to tell you how mine head space out soon.

Short version: I played musical barrels with a pair of Howa actions/barrels, and installed a .308 barrel that began life on action X onto action Y, and not only was the head space in spec, it was tighter than a nun's.... habit. Go gauge went in and chambered without a hitch, while the bolt handle baaaaaarely begins its downward travel with the no-go gauge in place.

Longer version: I recently took advantage of a sale that Brownell's was having on a hunter-weight 6mm Creedmoor barreled action (22 inch barrel). Already having a 6mm Creedmoor built on a Howa action (with a hunter-weight barrel... finished at 22 inches...) that began life as a .308, I have been arguing with myself over what to do with this new barreled action. Build a duplicate of the one I already have? Eh, maybe. What about a 22 Creedmoor? Nah, not feelin' it... already have a 22-250 that doesn't get shot. 6.5 Creedmoor is a base that's already covered with another rifle. 7mm-08? Nah, got one of those, too. Oooooh, I know... what about .338 Federal? Yeah, that has possibilities... except the more that I looked at it, the more I concluded that (most) .338 projectiles are intended to be driven faster than a short-ish barreled .338 Federal can drive them, and while they might still function as intended (for hunting purposes) out to 200-300 yards, I really want to have more flexibility than that. What about something kooky? Like, something that NO ONE is doing?? What about.... wait for it.... .308?

I can get a pre-fit barrel, and I already have the head space gauges, and I already have a muzzle brake/ASR mount, and I need to order scope rings, and which stock should I run, and.... hold on. Did I *really* conclude that I could get a pre-fit barrel in .308? When I have a perfectly good Howa takeoff barrel in .308 (left over from my 6mm Creedmoor build) sitting in a closet in a silicone sock? What are the odds that... nah. I'm not that lucky. Besides, nearly everyone who sells pre-fits for Howas uses a barrel nut architecture; there's gotta be a reason for that, right? Well, as it turns out, either I *am* that lucky, or Howa is just that consistent... take your pick. The head space, as I checked it, is just as tight as I set them when I install a barrel with a barrel nut, and while I would (for this rifle) prefer a lighter barrel profile (this one is Howa's #6/heavy contour), I'll take a .5-ish pound weight penalty to save a few hundred dollars (over buying a pre-fit in a lighter contour).

So, because fate likes to yank my chain, I am going to end up with a Howa in 6mm Creedmoor built on an action that began life as a .308, and a Howa in .308 "built" on an action that began life as a 6mm Creedmoor.
20 inch .308, the way God intended.

Maybe at one time, but the newer ones come off easier than Remingtons.
^^This^^

I basically soaked the breach threads/tenon in Liquid Wrench for about 24 hours, did the barrel vise/action wrench thing, and a couple half-ass (not even, really... more like quarter-ass) taps with a 3 pound shop hammer on the action wrench handle, and she popped loose. It really was easier than easy.

I likely could have skipped the Liquid Wrench altogether, but it certainly didn't hurt.

^^This^^

I basically soaked the breach threads/tenon in Liquid Wrench for about 24 hours, did the barrel vise/action wrench thing, and a couple half-ass (not even, really... more like quarter-ass) taps with a 3 pound shop hammer on the action wrench handle, and she popped loose. It really was easier than easy.

I likely could have skipped the Liquid Wrench altogether, but it certainly didn't hurt.
Good to know am planning on doing one when my barrel gets here. Hear a lot of horror stories about removing that barrel. How “new” are we talking about this particular Howa was purchased about 3 years ago.

Mine from this past july4th sale was my toughest barrel removal yet, but I think that’s mainly due to not being able to get much grip on the short shank before it tapers down quickly. Only able to really get two bolts clamping force instead of four. But it wasn’t impossible and once I got those two front bolts tight enough to stop slipping it broke without too much trouble.

Reactions: Islas82
Mine from this past july4th sale was my toughest barrel removal yet, but I think that’s mainly due to not being able to get much grip on the short shank before it tapers down quickly. Only able to really get two bolts clamping force instead of four. But it wasn’t impossible and once I got those two front bolts tight enough to stop slipping it broke without too much trouble.
What action wrench would you recommend?

What action wrench would you recommend?
I used the rem/savage northland action wrench but that requires you to flip the radius cap over to its flat side and buy longer 1/2x20 bolts to accommodate, I bought 3” because that’s what I could find that weren’t in enormous quantities for a reasonable price but had to use 1/2-3/4” worth of washers to fill the extra gap.

I used the rem/savage northland action wrench but that requires you to flip the radius cap over to its flat side and buy longer 1/2x20 bolts to accommodate, I bought 3” because that’s what I could find that weren’t in enormous quantities for a reasonable price but had to use 1/2-3/4” worth of washers to fill the extra gap.
What he said. I'm using a Farrell barrel vise from Brownell's.

In any event, the Howa barrel that inspired this post is from 2018, and the action is from the summer of 2020.

I've been wondering about the Howa's actual consistency action-to-action too..? I grabbed a 1500 bolt off eBay in order to experiment on the cocking-ramp of one, and the headspace was dead nuts exactly the same as the original bolt I already had. I mean exact to .001", the fired brass using the extra eBay bolt even resulted in fired brass the same dimension as brass from the original bolt.

I don't have enough to go on, but wonder if the Howa's actually hold close enough tolerances to accept shouldered prefits, just like Tikka's and such..? Since most gun-snobs probably wouldn't touch some lowly Howa, maybe nobody has bothered to check hahaha!?

I’m 80% in my thinking that mcgowen will? I’m pretty sure I’ve read that before. But I went with their barrel nut just to be sure it would work but they screwed up the counter bore depth so I’m not sure I’d trust them with a shouldered without the action.
Maybe take some action and bolt measurements and send them to the smith over there before buying to confirm, I did that for the counter bore correction so I wouldn’t have to be home to sign for the actions return.

Yeah, I was thinking being able to snag off-the-shelf prefits like from Proof and maybe some others would be nice... but I don't mind the barrel nut thing and am fine with that too.

Though, a shouldered prefit with machined in wrench-flats ala AI would be super cool... with the shape of the Howa action, wouldn't even need a barrel-vise, a normal bench vise would do.