• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

howa action vs rem 700 action

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I once read some where on this forum that the howa actions were better machined (closer to being true) than the rem 700 action. Is there any thruth to that? And the same goes with there barrels? thanks lee

Re: howa action vs rem 700 action

No clue, but I see a hell of a lot more 700s on here than Howas. I figure there's gotta be some reason.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Feuer Frei</div><div class="ubbcode-body">, but I see a hell of a lot more 700s on here than Howas. I figure there's gotta be some reason.
smile.gif
</div></div>

I have no experience with Howa's...but its a safe bet that the "reason" has a lot to do with...accessories, and the fact that the Rem 700 action is a solid one...only known issue is with the somewhat weak extactor, and I have never had a problem with any of mine...so...maybe even that is a little "blown out of proportion".

Pick Pete Lincoln's brain about the Howa's.
smile.gif
http://www.roedale.de/ He's about to release a detachable mag system for both SA and LA receivers.

The Howa's forged steel flat bottom receiver with integral lug isn't too bad a start. The forged one piece bolt is a tank as well. Remy bases match perfect and plenty other accessories to blow yer money on.

Just bought my brother an '06 Vanguard for Xmas, may just keep it.
smile.gif

The 700 action is what the military uses to build their "sniper" rifles. That does not mean they are more "solid" than others; they simply got the contract.

I have 2 customs built on Howa actions and they both shoot great. One is a 270WSM and the other is a 25/300WSM built by Hart. They are good actions, but limited accessories. Trigger selection is limited to Timney and Rifle Basix.

My Howa 1500 .308 had a sloppy action, reason one for getting rid of it. Second was finding some one who wanted to work on it. Third was aftermarket parts for it.

I have a Howa 1500 .308 that I use for hunting and like the action better than my two remy's sitting in my two AICS. If I could find a naked action and get my smith to put it in one of my chassis I'd give it a run and see how it did at a competition.

the howa has some fantastic attributes. tough action, plenty of extra threads for mounting the stock, flat bottom, integral massive recoil lug, one piece bolt/handle capable of twisting to field strip, top end takes 'rem 700' bases, factory trigger is easily adjustable, kick ass extractor, etc...

it really looks pretty close to identical to famed sako actions from years back.

i'm not implying the rem isn't a peach. at their core they are a means to cycle ammo and provide ignition. however, some are better built than others.

frankly there is no doubt in my mind the howa is better for many reasons, but at the end of the day they both serve a simple purpose. the rem is king in terms of accessories. however, mac, manners, B&C, and others are making stocks for the howa, bases are readily available, aftermarket triggers like the timney, and now CDi and Pete Lincoln DBM systems... what isn't to like?

a while back i started an action comparison thread on arfcom. take a look at some of them and you'll start seeing a few trends. without spilling the beans you should be able to see them for yourself...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=229541

Have noticed quite a few members going with the Howa lately. I've only shot one, and it got no complaints from me. They seem like a good way to save a few bucks with very little downside.... I wouldn't mind trying to wear one out, and may pick one up just to see what they're like....

I have a Rem-700, .308, and a newly purchased Howa 1500, .270, and the howa is great for hunting, good feel, light triggar, light weight, but I would not use it for a bench resting gun, it seems like the barrels arent built all that well, and after a few shots, it can not hold a group

Any gunsmiths here that have worked on one of these actions? I was just wondering if the machine work was better on the Howa compaired to the rem 700. I have several rem 700 and i love them all. I am thinking about trying a howa, if I can bring myself to it? Lee

the gunsmith that i use recommends the howa 1500 over rem700 he said that for the basic package the howa is far better meaning standard rifle suchas sps not a remington premier gun like a vtr i would say though that it is all personal prefence

Comparing factory actions.. yes the Howa is higher quality, better machined, better finished. The Howa is a machined forging. The Remington is made from bar stock. The Remington was designed for low cost manufacture.. The bolt alone is made from 5 parts, brazed together. The Remington uses a cheap, unsightly washer type recoil lug, sandwiched between the receiver and barrel. Yes, you can build an accurate rifle with a Remington action. It`s been popular because its cheap in cost, round in shape, so it is simple lathe work. The Remington action is fully machined, then heat treated. Thats why they true them up for a custom build, because there warped. if a rifle/action was designed properly to begin with, with high quality machining, and parts.. Then you wouldn`t need all these after market parts, and re-machining.

I have a customs built on 700, mcmillan, and howa action's
and of the 3 action's the HOWA was the closest to spec. My gunsmith is Kevin Cram at Mountour county rifles.

Pete Linchon hooked me up with a lot of stuff for my HOWA and I am awaiting his LA detagable mag system with much trepadation. All in all the HOWA it stiffer and more true from the factory than the rem 700 and if it came down to it I would pic HOWA over rem next time.

Never have mess with a howa action. But I have several customs on 700 actions. All shoot sub-moa at 600. Most actions are based on the 700 action. Surgeon,Stiller,etc the list goes on for a reason. If the wheel rolls Why try to make it more round.

I have messed with several. Had GAP even barrel one for me.
CDI's Howa bottom metal was done with my rifle. I have no complaints. I built a standard Howa heavy barrel for my brother
that shoots much better than it should for the money. It is bedded in a Manners T4 but it still has factory HB and shoots under 1 inch at 200 yds.

I have broken my handle off a 700 before. But you can find a lot more accessories for one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scimitar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have messed with several. Had GAP even barrel one for me.
CDI's Howa bottom metal was done with my rifle. I have no complaints. I built a standard Howa heavy barrel for my brother
that shoots much better than it should for the money. It is bedded in a Manners T4 but it still has factory HB and shoots under 1 inch at 200 yds.

I have broken my handle off a 700 before. But you can find a lot more accessories for one. </div></div>

Its funny you mention breaking a handle off a Remy 700, I watched a rangemaster at my club do the same last weekend. A young fella had the bolt jammed somehow, and the rangemaster took a small block of wood to tap the bolt out and voila, the handle came right off. Don't know what the kid did exactly to seize it up, but the look on the rangemaster's face was priceless when he realized what has happened.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the gunsmith that i use recommends the howa 1500 over rem700 he said that for the basic package the howa is far better meaning standard rifle suchas sps not a remington premier gun like a vtr i would say though that it is all personal prefence </div></div>

any chance I could get a name/phone number. I have a Weatherby Vanguard sub-MOA in 300 WSM. I want to re-barrel, but my gunsmith is not setup to do the metric-inch conversion on the action threads...

They are both good actions to be honest... If one were vastly supperior to the other I think you would know about it.

As stated above, the remington bolts have a weak point with their bolt handle, and to me thats a major flaw that should have been addresed a long time back.

But then again I put emphasis on the shooter, using hot loads or brass thats too long to the all too common occurence of a bolt handle coming off. Maybe its not always the case but Im guessing they didnt have excessive bolt lifts in mind during design?

Regardless, when the time comes I will have my bolt fixed down next time i see the smith.

I would potentially delve into a howa action to try out something different other than a custom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Howa's have several desirable features, generaly the machining and tollerances are better than a remmy700.

aftermarket parts are plentifull enough.

regards Pete </div></div>

Pete!!! Your too popular!!! PM is over it's limit!!!

I am looking into the Howa 1500 for a switch barrel rifle. Can anyone speak as to their ability as a switch barrel? I would figure with the fixed recoil lug you would be ideal....but I work on Diesels not Rifles.....
whistle.gif

I also need to have a barrel installed on a Howa long action. I already removed the barrel and will order a new one from Krieger soon. So if anyone has any suggestions as to whom can do the job, I am all ears.

Prior readings have shown that "not much" of an aftermarket is one of the reasons for the lack of interest in Howas. But the bigger one I have read it the barrel threads are metric, and witht the exception of larger smiths, like GAP, most smaller smiths either don;t know how or don't want to be bothered to do metric threading. I have heard of smiths trying to machine standard threads onto the actions with little success. Lack of a large variety of bottom metal is also a turn off. The actions are as strong, the tolerances are as tight, and the results are the same as far as whats better. All the stock makers make stocks for them, there are triggers and small parts available. Find someone who can re-barrel them and you are set.

I think the bottom line would be. How many How's actions are sitting on the f-class,benchrest crowd. I would say none if very few. The remmy true up as good az a custom. Like I stated earlier. Most actions are based on the rem action for a reason. The action can be as basic as you want or as custom as you want.

Howa has big shoes to fill to match what Rem has done and continues to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackTidesArma.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rem-700, .308, and a newly purchased Howa 1500, .270, and the howa is great for hunting, good feel, light triggar, light weight, but I would not use it for a bench resting gun, it seems like the barrels arent built all that well, and after a few shots, it can not hold a group</div></div>

barrels arent built well? after a few rounds cant hold a zero? care to explain what you are talking about?

I actually fell into one a few months ago, new and never fired in a trade. It's a .308 and to be honest i was skeptical at best. The rubber junk stock needed to go I decided off the bat so put it in a manners T3. the action is a brick shithouse and tight slicker than snot lock up. Sure parts arent as readily available as a 700 but they are out there. I put a CDI DBM metal on it. Now I'm a massive fan, that thing drives tacks. I personnaly will recommend it to anyone not to mention the fact that the cost is quite cheap relative to the others. Great action to build off of.

I'd be comfortable building an F-class gun on one

The newer Remmys with the triangular barrels and the cheaper stocks suck. But the action is something you can build off of. I never really mess with the Howas. The Remmys I have got built will shoot in the .2s at 100 yards. My son shot a 199 15X off of bipods at 600 yards with a Remmy action.

Most gunsmiths will agree the Remmys are hard to beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Most gunsmiths will agree the Remmys are hard to beat. </div></div>

For that statement to have any validity, you'll need a response from 'smiths that work on both Remington and Howa actions.

I guess im a little bit old school with my train of thought but..

The reason howa gets my vote is because out of the box, and for a little less money, the Howa is a better made rifle. Period.

The howa is held to far stricter tolerances than a remington, especially post cerberus buy-out remingtons.

The only 2 reasons i see people cling to Remington, is a vague sense of patriotism for a american made product, and aftermarket support.
You dont see aftermarket bolt for a howa. Reason: you cant improve upon it, the end. Its got all the features people pay to have installed and done to their 700's,... stock.

For those still looking for a smith, I would think that mamy of the smiths on this board would be capable of dealing with the metric threads on a Howa. I used Randy Gregory, who is well known in the Palma community, for my Howa build. His thoughts, after the fact were as follows:

The barrel did not want to come off, period. Cheater bar didn't work, so he cut it off an inch or two from the action to relieve tenson and eventually got it off.

Action was extrodiarly accurate and well machined overall.

factory trigger worked out fine, but required stoning and a new spring.

In short, his commemts mirrored what Pete has been saying for a long time, the Howa's are great actions that have a lot going for them. Although aftermarket parts are not as plentyfull as a 700, There are enough out there from reputable manufactures to satisfy most build requirements. For my build, I ran a Manners t4a, Near Precision base, and a Rock tube. Outside of the vapor ware long action bottom metal that has yet to materialise, I was pretty happy with the options available when I undertook the effort.

A .075 deep cut with a parting tool just ahead of the receiver works well to get Howa barrels off.

I've made AR-15/10 barrels with the Howa take offs that shoot nicely.

The issue of the metric threading is not that they don't know how. Turning threads is a matter of setting a dial. More skill involved in threading a barrel but not in cutting threads. The issue is that the average smith's lathe does not have a metric geared lathe. Main reason is the same reason we use Cups, gallons and feet....

The Remmy's are the best is not true, some are fubar and some are great. The lack of parts availability for other manufacturers is BS....as popular as the M700 is the first 4 gunsmiths in 50 miles of my city according to Google, did not have a .473 Rem 700 snap in extractor....fourth one did and I had to take it to my smith to install because mine broke directly before a match.

Point is unless I have completly incompanent smiths (as far as parts stock) I think in the common world that the M700 is not any more popular than any other manufacturer. In the Tactical Rifle world the M700 is the most widely used...for us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5x61 Super</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the gunsmith that i use recommends the howa 1500 over rem700 he said that for the basic package the howa is far better meaning standard rifle suchas sps not a remington premier gun like a vtr i would say though that it is all personal prefence </div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-weight: bold">any chance I could get a name/phone number. I have a Weatherby Vanguard sub-MOA in 300 WSM. I want to re-barrel, but my gunsmith is not setup to do the metric-inch conversion on the action threads... </span></span></div></div>

http://www.accuracyunlimited.com/

Thanks Ranger....been meaning to bug you again about the Howa 1500...you had one built didn't you? Did Jensen do that as well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Ranger....been meaning to bug you again about the Howa 1500...you had one built didn't you? Did Jensen do that as well? </div></div>

Yeah, and he refuses to do any more. He's not set up for metric so he has to have a machinist buddy cut the threads. I was able to twist his arm a total of 2 times, but after the 2nd time he said "Hell NO!" to doing any others.

To bad as the Howa action has proven itself to be excellent for building custom field rifles.

I can tell you aka-spook built 2 rifles for me on Howa actions . You can check my old post in bolt action section - my new 260 built by aka-spook . As I said before I have had custom rifles built on Rem 700 and Howa actions . I really prefer the Howa builds . The bolt throw is smoother , ejection better , triggers are easier to adjust where I like them- safely , and don't have to worry about bolt handle snapping off . As far as accuracy between a Rem or Howa custom , probably no great difference . A Howa build will not be any worse in any case . If looking for a very good Howa build without a long wait , I'd PM aka-spook .

david

I really like it !! I sent it off to get 'nitrided' after I installed the bolt knob , bedded it , and broke it in . I'll post more pictures when I get it back and chronograph and shoot some more groups . I know AKA-Spook would have built me a rifle already bedded to a stock but I was trying to save money where I could so I did the trigger, bedding, and installed the bolt knob . Thanks Ranger for the link . I aint too good with computers !

david

Yes sir he does . I first found him when I was looking for a 300 Whisper . It was the first Howa action that I ever shot . I liked it so much that when I was looking for a 260 Rem I asked him if he would build me a barreled action in 260 Rem on a Howa action . The rest is history . I have bought custom rifles from 3 different custom builders . He was the quickest and charged less than the other builders . As far as I can tell ( I am no benchrest shooter !! ) his builds are as accurate as the other ' big name' builders .

david

I'll try to post some pictures Sat pm . I got my rifle back from RWS Gunsmithing (Robert) yesterday . It looks great . It is matte black and the color is very uniform . I took it to the range today to run some rounds through the chronograph . Checking the numbers , I can't see any change . 1 load was + 16 f/s and the other one was -9f/s -- not significant . ES and SD the same . I was having a bad day shooting from the bench and only shot 2 groups from prone . .399 for 4 but blew the 5th rd , did I say it wasn't a good day !! I need a little extra padding under the stock pack for proper cheek weld . Will shoot some more groups Mon . I am going to have bolt knob and cocking piece bolt shroud coated matte black and will post pictures when completed . Jeff at CDI sent me some extra long mag release levers and the Morta mags feed great from the rifle. Spook, Robert and Jeff have all done a great job for me .

david

I have a howa in .223. Howa is a better rifle out of the box, period. The action is slick, it is easy to adjust the trigger, it is cheaper then the remington, it is accurate with a factory barrel, and if I am choosing between the two I will buy the howa. That being said, I like buying American made so I try to stick with Savage.

I too like buying american made, however... comma, that novelty and false patriotic sense has worn thin. I look for quality. When I spent time comparing remington/savage/howa, the shortcuts in manufacture became glaringly obvious.

Sure, the metric barrel threads *might* be an issue for some, but its essentially non-existant for me. Just find a smith who doesnt mind changing over his gear set.

I just bought a howa heavy barrel 308 mostly because of what I read on here and just to stick it to the conservative rem fans. I am a complete beginner, had never shot a rifle before this one, and yesterday I consistently grouped .6 to .8 out to four hundred yards. This was on a harris bipod with the god awful factory hogue stock(and some heavy wind). Again I am a complete beginner and am just learning how to shoot. If that is not a testimate to this rifle I don't know what is.

How makes a great action. I had a 6.5-284 on it. I loved the action, but replaced the rifle with a lighter-weight GAP 6.5x47.

If I had to buy a rifle and leave it alone, I'd seriously consider Howa. For tweaking, I'd go 700.