• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Howa/AICS bottom to an old Sako

ejg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2008
Ireland
www.pse-composites.com
Since years I've been annoyed about the bad feeding of my old Sako L579/308. This rifle has been in our family since the seventies otherwise I would have possibly tossed it in the bin when I fired it the first time...hopeless. Roedale Precision fitted a Lothar Walther Match barrel and precision is now excellent but the feeding issue needing attending. The old Sako actions are very similar to Howa 1500 and I fitted an ultra light carbon fibre stock that I made. Pete Lincoln from Roedale suggested to look at the Howa mag systems he makes and sent me one to try.
The front screw seemed to be fine and general position of the mag looked good but the action was just too narrow and the mag couldn't get far enough up. File grind and dremel time.
DSCN5647.jpg

DSCN5661.jpg

Mag position was sorted but I needed to sort the rear fastening. I fixed a 2.5mm strong steel plate lower than the original rear action screw into place so that the bottom metal fitted above it and the rear action screw. Then I inserted a 10mm steel bar sideways into the grip area with a cross drilled m6 thread. This was also set in place with reinforced epoxy. I had no worries with weakening the stock as I made it myself and know where how much carbon and kevlar is present.
DSCN5669.jpg

I then resprayed the stock with a Magpul flat dark earth colour and put it together. First the rear action screw has to be tightened, then the bottom metal put in place and tightened via front action screw and rear m6.
DSCN5710.jpg

voila, rifle feeds perfect from an out of the box AICS 308 magazin. It was worth the trouble.
DSCN5717.jpg

DSCN5716.jpg

DSCN5724.jpg

DSCN5728.jpg

edi

Re: Howa/AICS bottom to an old Sako

That's outstanding Mate! If you have the time, post a series of pictures about how to make a Kevlar/Carbon Fiber stock. Awesome!

Thanks, we developed our own method of molding for the stocks which allows us to mold the inlet and barrel channel, a bit of a trade secret.
One advantage is that we can use any density fill material where we want in the stock. This one weighs around 24 oz with butt pad and bedding.
edi

thanks for the replies.

Hope you lads are all ok after the Tornado problems down south.
Was very sorry to hear of my old university town Tuscaloosa.

edi