• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa barrel nut Criterion barrels

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    Straight from the horse's mouth (e-mail reply to my inquiry):

We will be officially releasing the Howa pre-fit barrels in a couple of weeks at Shot Show 2018. They will be available for purchase shortly after that.
    As of right now we will be selling these barrels direct from the factory. We will likely be working with other distributors (Brownells, Optics Planet etc.) in the future. The barrels will be priced similarly to our other pre-fit offerings.

Sincerely,
    CBI Technical Support

All I can say is hell yeah

Straight from the horse's mouth (e-mail reply to my inquiry):

All I can say is hell yeah

Just got my first Howa in 223, and you have already helped me out, can you explain this in crayon for me. Does this mean I can swap barrels kinda like an AI or a custom action, these barrels will already be head-spaced and I can just torque them to spec or is there going to need to be some tuning?

I can't wait to get my hands on a Wylde-chamber 1-7 223 Criterion for my 1500.

Reactions: Bugholes
    Wow.
    How awesome. Fewer and fewer reasons to buy remington

Truthfully, I think shotguns are the only thing keeping Remington afloat. And if Ruger wanted to bury them once and for all they'll apply themselves to developing innovative, modular, state of the art pump and gas operated shotguns that are 100% reliable.

If Ruger gets that done, Remington is well and truly fucked.

Last year I ordered a custom barrel from CBI (through Northland Shooting Supplies - another great shop to work with) cut for a barrel nut threaded for my Badger M2013 action. CBI was great to work with. I had the barrel short chambered, and cut the last .030" with a reamer by hand to set the head space. The custom cut fee was only $50. They followed up by email to make sure the barrel worked out. I couldn't ask for more.

I think once you've replaced a factory barrel with a barrel nut pre-fit match barrel, you'll never look back.

Reactions: BeAccurate
    Last year I ordered a custom barrel from CBI (through Northland Shooting Supplies - another great shop to work with) cut for a barrel nut threaded for my Badger M2013 action. CBI was great to work with. I had the barrel short chambered, and cut the last .030" with a reamer by hand to set the head space.

Maybe I misunderstand but........if you bought a custom barrel-nut barrel for your Badger, why would have it short chambered? You could have increased headspace from minimum (bolt barely closing on a GO) in infinitely small increments with barrel rotation.

Maybe I misunderstand but........if you bought a custom barrel-nut barrel for your Badger, why would have it short chambered? You could have increased headspace from minimum (bolt barely closing on a GO) in infinitely small increments with barrel rotation.

The M2013, like other 60 degree throw 3 lug actions (AI and Tempest), uses a breech ring. This ring is made of a softer alloy than the bolt to prevent galling, and the lug abutments are machined into the ring. The reasoning behind the use of a breech ring is that all the wear occurs on the ring, and it is inexpensive and replaceable.

The breech ring slides into the action before the barrel is screwed in, and is captured between the action and the barrel face. Therefore, unlike a Savage/Remage barrel nut installation where the headspace is set by screwing in the barrel (using a go/no-go gauge), the M2013 headspace is controlled by chamber depth, i.e., case head protrusion.

BadgerM2013BreachRin.jpg

Badger provides the CAD drawings which includes case head protrusion measurements. I could have asked CBI to ream the chamber to that measurement, but I wanted to control the headspace myself and had them short chamber the reaming. Hand reaming is quick and easy, but you could have CBI ream the chamber to design specification and it should headspace correctly. That was just my preference.

Last edited:
    Got it. Different system than what I'm used to.

Not all 60 deg bolt throw actions work that way though. Sakos do not.

Got it. Different system than what I'm used to.

Not all 60 deg bolt throw actions work that way though. Sakos do not.

Correct, I didn't mean to imply that all 60 degree actions were included - just those patterned after the Accuracy International action.

Sure that great, you ever tried to take howa barrel off? Good luck, I had to part it off at the shoulder to relieve the mechanical lock on that barrel.

Sure that great, you ever tried to take howa barrel off? Good luck, I had to part it off at the shoulder to relieve the mechanical lock on that barrel.
    Maybe you should've gotten the right tools ;-)

Reactions: 308pirate
    Maybe you should've gotten the right tools ;-)

Have you ever taken a factory barrel off anything? Some are tough, some are twice as tough. I think its funny the article said no specialty tools, because in my opinion an action wrench and barrel vice are specialty tools. Probably best to have a torch or some other way to apply heat on hand also. And with all the proper tools, I have had to cut a Remington recoil lug before to get a barrel loose.

Have you ever taken a factory barrel off anything? Some are tough, some are twice as tough. I think its funny the article said no specialty tools, because in my opinion an action wrench and barrel vice are specialty tools. Probably best to have a torch or some other way to apply heat on hand also. And with all the proper tools, I have had to cut a Remington recoil lug before to get a barrel loose.
    I haven't encountered anything that couldn't be removed with the correct wrenches and leverage

A length of pipe cheater bar to slip over the action wrench's handle FTW

Any cheap place to buy a Howa 1500 action? I've found barreled actions for $330ish.. Can an action by itself be found any cheaper than that?

Any cheap place to buy a Howa 1500 action? I've found barreled actions for $330ish.. Can an action by itself be found any cheaper than that?
    Not new. Maybe second hand. Legacy does not import stripped actions

Are you asking about a mini action or short action howa?
    They should be the same magazine length.

One of the claims made about the mini action is that it has a shorter bolt travel. I don't see how that's possible unless its magazine box is way shorter than SAAMI length.

The 223 short action's bolt is longer than that of the mini action, but the 223 short action's bolt stop is longer to compensate.

They should be the same magazine length.

One of the claims made about the mini action is that it has a shorter bolt travel. I don't see how that's possible unless its magazine box is way shorter than SAAMI length.

The 223 short action's bolt is longer than that of the mini action, but the 223 short action's bolt stop is longer to compensate.

Theyre not the same mag length - thats why mini action chassis systems like the MDT use factory mini action mags, but the short action can use AI 223 type mags. The mini is smaller all around - mags, bolt, reciever, ejection port, etc.

Theyre not the same mag length - thats why mini action chassis systems like the MDT use factory mini action mags, but the short action can use AI 223 type mags. The mini is smaller all around - mags, bolt, reciever, ejection port, etc.
    Neither WarbirdWeaponry nor I are talking about chassis mag wells or AICS magazines. We're talking about the internal box magazine with floorplate that is standard on most all Howa rifles.

There is a spacer in the mag box of the short action 223 to make up the gap left by the 223 case. The bolt stop is longer than a short action bolt stop to keep bolt travel to a minimum.

FYI I had to trim off about 1/8 - 3/16 off the front of the bolt stop to get the bolt back far enough to feed out of an MDT 223 mag when I moved the rifle to a KRG chassis

Last edited:
    Thanks, that's what I thought after looking at a used one the other day.

2.335" from the front of the box to the spacer in the back. The box itself is the same as all other short actions, but has a sheetmetal spacer on the back end to shorten it for 223.

Do these barrels fit on the Howa mini action?

I'm torn between getting the 1500 short or the mini action in .223 and changing to .224V later.

Do these barrels fit on the Howa mini action?

I'm torn between getting the 1500 short or the mini action in .223 and changing to .224V later.

There appear to be some differences between the standard Howa 1500 and the mini action that we'll need to address in order to design an appropriate barrel nut setup. I imagine we'll probably tackle that project after we finish wrapping up a few other new pre-fit projects currently in development.

Does the receiver require modification for these barrels or is it threaded as usual and the nut acts as a jam nut basically.

Does the receiver require modification for these barrels or is it threaded as usual and the nut acts as a jam nut basically.

You are correct, they act as a jam nut. No modifications necessary.

I imagine we'll probably tackle that project after we finish wrapping up a few other new pre-fit projects currently in development.

Any hint on what those might be?

I haven't encountered anything that couldn't be removed with the correct wrenches and leverage
    I just took one off, tried using a small sledge on a heavy duty action wrench. No go.
    Had to chuck it in the lathe and relieve it.
    The weird thing is, it had been off before, a couple of years ago.
    It was NOT coming off without help.
    This was an older model when they still had the single stage trigger

Reactions: Danny1788
    Well I ordered a prefit with the barrel nut about a month ago. 1:8" Twist 6.5CM 26" MTU contour with black nitride finish and Big Horn barrel nut for my Howa 1500. Excited to give this barrel a workout once it comes in. Should arrive in the next 6 weeks or so (hopefully sooner) but also need to get some barrel tools: action wrench and barrel vise.

Any recommendations on cost effective options?

Reactions: jLorenzo
    Not new. Maybe second hand. Legacy does not import stripped actions
    I know its an old post but brownells has them. Also going this route at some point with my 1500. Wanted to get some more info on how to do it.