• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa barrel speed

Neil84

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2022
New Zealand
I've been bingeing the podcast at work. learning so much. Frank talks about Tikka having a slow barrel, I have a new Howa, I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Howa's the same? I think they would be being that they are a factory rifle but you never know unless the question is asked right!

I've been bingeing the podcast at work. learning so much. Frank talks about Tikka having a slow barrel, I have a new Howa, I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Howa's the same? I think they would be being that they are a factory rifle but you never know unless the question is asked right!

Don't know why people obsess over this......if you reload this is a non-issue. If you don't reload, learn your dope.

BFD

It's important to realize that Tikka's may on average, have slower barrels, but every barrel and every lot of steel is like a different kid, they can all be different.

It may help to start thinking of individual barrels like individual people. You cannot "brand" yourself into a better barrel based on grapevine talk.

In summary, I'd rather have an accurate barrel than a fast barrel. You're gonna kill yourself trying to analyze minor variations in average barrel speed across brands.

How many rounds have you put through that new Howa? Chances are pretty good it will gain some velocity after you've sent a few hundred rounds down range.

I thought all slow barrels were only sold to me. So many of my barrels are notoriously slow. Strangely, some of the slowest barrels seem to be spot on for accuracy.

Sarcasm aside, I seem to have a plethora of slow barrels. Each and every one that is slow, has also been a blessing as far as being able to group tight and consistently. I’ll take a hit that takes .009 seconds longer to get to a target that I can depend on hitting the target, over one that gets there 0.009 seconds faster and flies off into the bushes. (Especially when that target is the Winter’s Meat Supply)

2C4232C5-6130-4DB2-BEB2-46F2CB6E4EBE.jpeg

You absolutely can "brand" yourself into a better barrel - See Bartlien

Maybe I used the wrong phrasing there but I was more-so talking about his barrel speed and not using it as a metric to determine barrel quality.

I was simply saying that he should worry more about whether the barrel is accurate and consistent as opposed to worrying about any speed related issues.

Maybe I used the wrong phrasing there but I was more-so talking about his barrel speed and not using it as a metric to determine barrel quality.

I was simply saying that he should worry more about whether the barrel is accurate and consistent as opposed to worrying about any speed related issues.
No offense taken!

I always tell guys go for the accuracy first. Wildcat chambers etc… it cracks me up when someone for example has a custom 280AI (before SAAMI spec in this case) is crabbing about not being able to get 2900fps with a 180gr bullet and the accuracy is .8moa but at 2825fps it shoots .3moa. Do you really think the deer at 200 yards is going to know the difference velocity wise of 75fps? I told the guy run it at 2825fps and he gets mad at me!

Again bore and groove size dimensions and chamber spec barrel to barrel can have a big impact on velocity. That’s why we run min. spec tolerances.

Ammunition not tested in spec barrels or barrels made to a production spec (bigger dimension) being put on guns will impact data.

I won’t even get into cleaning and reloading variables or bullet variables etc…

Later, Frank

Last edited:
No offense taken!

I always tell guys go for the accuracy first. Wildcat chambers etc… it cracks me up when someone for example has a custom 280AI (before SAAMI spec in this case) is crabbing about not being able to get 2900fps with a 180gr bullet and the accuracy is .8moa but at 2825fps it shoots .3moa. Do you really think the deer at 200 yards is going to know the difference velocity wise of 75fps? I told the guy run it at 2825fps and he gets mad at me!

Again bore and groove size dimensions and chamber spec barrel to barrel can have a big impact on velocity. That’s why we run min. spec tolerances.

Ammunition not tested in spec barrels or barrels made to a production spec (bigger dimension) being put on guns will impact data.

I won’t even get into cleaning and reloading variables or bullet variables etc…

Later, Frank

won’t even get into cleaning and reloading variables or bullet variables etc…

Okay please do get into the cleaning and reloading variables. I understand, well I think I grasp bullet variables but the whole difference in opinion on cleaning is killing me. I just got a new Howa in 6arc it’s a tad slow but it shoots. The cleaning variable is what I am interested in…

Okay please do get into the cleaning and reloading variables. I understand, well I think I grasp bullet variables but the whole difference in opinion on cleaning is killing me. I just got a new Howa in 6arc it’s a tad slow but it shoots. The cleaning variable is what I am interested in…
I'll come back to this later... have to do some work right now....

So for a short note to you....

If you let the barrel get away from you cleaning wise (caliber and powder etc... can play a big part or small part) it will take longer to get it clean and bring it back to where it should be etc... the carbon build up can cause pressure to increase which in turn can cause increase in velocities.

If you just do a quick clean on the barrel and I'll just use a reference of you cleaned it for 15 minutes. You might see the accuracy come back but the accuracy might only hold for say 15 rounds... on top of swings in pressure and velocities.

I/we've seen barrels come back to the shop here that where so carbon fouled you couldn't see the lands/grooves back near the chamber end. Then the guy wonder why he has accuracy issues and velocities that are inconsistent.

Later, Frank

Reactions: Modoc