• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa bottom metal options

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
I have a Howa in a Bell and Carlson with the legacy sports mag kit. Works well, COAL is limited to 2.790. Seems a touch on the short side, does the difference between 2.79 and whatever an AICs max COAL is even matter with a 308?
As far as I can find the Atlasworx is the only bottom metal that is made for the Howa. Isn't clear whether the stock would need routed or not (the Legacy Sports dropped in perfectly). Also appears that it would have to come from Australia, which seems a bit much.

I don't mind the Legacy sports mag being plastic, I actually like it but I wish the bottom "metal" itself was made from metal. Mine has cracked around the front action screw, possibly from me over torquing.

Am I missing any of my options? I would like to keep it in the Bell and Carlson though this will probably be the last traditional stock I go with over a chassis. Makes too much more sense avoiding this kind of issue.

I replaced the bottom metal with a magazine kit from legacy sports on my Howa 1500.
I'd have to look at who actually manufactured it.

Reactions: R_A_W and Modoc
I've used PTG DBMs in short action Howas for many years, and have been satisfied with them. I've put them in mostly B&C stocks, which take some pretty minor inlet work with a Dremel to make them fit. I've also posted that I had to do some work on my vertical knee mill on the Howa action's mag well to allow AICS mags to fit up into the action, and one or two guys have replied that they've not had to do anything like that. Beats me what sort of set-up they're using, because I've had to mill off part of the projection from the rear of the Howa mag well before a mag will fit.
I also did a Howa SA build to fit into a McMillan A5 stock that was ordered with the bottom inlet for the PTG Howa DBM, and I'm pretty sure I had to do the same mill work on that rifle's action to allow the AICS mag to fit.

But, back to the point of the OP's original question, PTG DBM is all I've ever used in the full-sized 1500 actions. The Mini actions also come from the factory with plastic triggerguard/mag well units, so I've used DIP or Jefferson Outdoors aluminum DBMs in those rifles. DIP has shown their DBMs as 'out of stock' for about a year now, and Jefferson Outdoors only makes a seasonal run of their DBMs, since they say they get a lot more demand for their DBMs using CZ527 mags, or the BDL or blind mag units that also get away from the use of the plastic factory magazines.

I've used PTG DBMs in short action Howas for many years, and have been satisfied with them. I've put them in mostly B&C stocks, which take some pretty minor inlet work with a Dremel to make them fit. I've also posted that I had to do some work on my vertical knee mill on the Howa action's mag well to allow AICS mags to fit up into the action, and one or two guys have replied that they've not had to do anything like that. Beats me what sort of set-up they're using, because I've had to mill off part of the projection from the rear of the Howa mag well before a mag will fit.
I also did a Howa SA build to fit into a McMillan A5 stock that was ordered with the bottom inlet for the PTG Howa DBM, and I'm pretty sure I had to do the same mill work on that rifle's action to allow the AICS mag to fit.

But, back to the point of the OP's original question, PTG DBM is all I've ever used in the full-sized 1500 actions. The Mini actions also come from the factory with plastic triggerguard/mag well units, so I've used DIP or Jefferson Outdoors aluminum DBMs in those rifles. DIP has shown their DBMs as 'out of stock' for about a year now, and Jefferson Outdoors only makes a seasonal run of their DBMs, since they say they get a lot more demand for their DBMs using CZ527 mags, or the BDL or blind mag units that also get away from the use of the plastic factory magazines.
To your comment regarding you having to machine the small tab at the rear of the action well to use AICS mags.; MDT advise using their poly/metal mags with the Howa SA, ACC setup due to Howa's flat bottom action.
From memory, I believe the MDT poly metal mags are a hair shorter at the top rear action interface to allow for the rear action tab.
I've been running the MDT poly/metal mags for years with the Howa/ACC & they run like a sewing machine.
I think there is a couple threads here from guys who had difficulty running other AICS mags with the Howa.

To your comment regarding you having to machine the small tab at the rear of the action well to use AICS mags.; MDT advise using their poly/metal mags with the Howa SA, ACC setup due to Howa's flat bottom action.
From memory, I believe the MDT poly metal mags are a hair shorter at the top rear action interface to allow for the rear action tab.
I've been running the MDT poly/metal mags for years with the Howa/ACC & they run like a sewing machine.
I think there is a couple threads here from guys who had difficulty running other AICS mags with the Howa.
That's news to me - and if a change in magazines is all that's required to get away from having to make the cuts I've done in the mill to Howa 1500 actions, then I'd definitely try it. If there's no issue in these MDT mags being available, and are priced competitively, then why not go that route?

I have had good luck with my ptg. Zero complaints. The legacy kit is nice because it just drops in without any mods but it feels cheap. 25 creed feeds reliable out of metal aics mags with the ptg setup.

I had to mill the back of my Howa 1500 short action too. I'm running the same mag kit. In my GRS Bifrost stock I had to add shims to make it all fit but it runs like a sewing machine.