• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa Budget Build

dino67

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2010
Australia
Howa Barrelled Action – Blue 308 Heavy Fluted Barrel
Trigger lightened and sear surfaces polished
EGW HD 0MOA Rail
Warne Maxima Rings 1” Medium
Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 Mil/Mil Scope
Roedale RCSII Stock with Current AICS thumbhole Stocksides
Cheekpiece Adjust Screws
5 Shot AI mag (Alpha Type 2 on order)

Lapua Cases (primer pocket & flash hole uniformed, sorted by weight)
CCI BR2 Primer
48 Gr Reloder 17
178gr Hornady Amax
Chrony at 2750 fps with nil pressure signs. 2759, 2752, 2751, 2756, 2754.
We are now playing with seating depth. The groups today were 2.820 " OAL and 2.840" OAL.

Loads are safe in this rifle. 48gr is a compressed load at the shorter OAL’s and requires a powder drop tube to settle powder in case.

This was a bit of a budget precision rifle build to get my Nephew out from in front of the computer playing Black Ops and into some reality. He had a motorcycle that he had outgrown and after the sale I twisted his arm into spending the coin on something worthwhile. He's 14 and showing some excellent form with the rifle. I started him on a JW15 we modded and he quickly become proficient with it and wanted something bigger. His first centerfire shots were ringing steel out to 500m at Belmont using my Lee Enfield No.4. Yesterday was his second time using his 308 and we are still in the process of load development. I sat him down and went over the how’s and why's with reloading and he showed great interest and attention to detail.

This is the best 3 shot group of the day but the rifle has put down several 6 shot groups in the .4" range. We were playing with seating depths and load 6 at each different seating depth. My nephew shoots 3, and then I shoot 3 on the target next to it. I then overlay the groups (We have noticed a consistant .5" shift in groups centres between the 2 shooters that would come down do an individuals grip on the rifle I would think). For a $620 barrelled action and a 3-10 mag scope it's pretty bloody good.

Next toe to dip in the water with him is understanding mils, spinning turrets for longer range, and picking up wind reading skills. He's pretty keen to go again next week and give the small 500m gong at Belmont a hard time.

(the .169" is for the target below the one shown)

CIMG1336.jpg
P9140290.jpg

Re: Howa Budget Build

Nice one, where are you ordering the Alpha mags from? I want to get a couple for my 7saum build on a vanguard short action.Cheers.

If I may ask how hard was it to get a roedale stock to oz? and whats it like weight wise?

Alpha Mags from Danny at Delta Tactical. He should have them in stock next week. I've also asked Cleavers in Qld to look at bringing them in.

No problem getting the Roedale to Aus other than the wait.

Wait is not too bad. This rifle weighs 13.5lb all up.

Yes i'm sure Cleaver wouldn't rip us off
eek.gif

I'll check out Delta tactical's site, thanks mate.