• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa: Can AICS Mags Fit w/o Action Modification?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am building a rifle using a Howa action, and am considering using bottom metal that uses AICS mags. I have read that it may be necessary to trim about .050" on some part of the action to make the mags fit. True? I am not so enthused about cutting or grinding the action.

Phil

In the ones that I've had, you have to trim a bit off the back of the mag opening in the action, to allow the magazine to come up high enough. Then trim a bit off the bolt stop to allow the bolt to come back a bit father. It's not difficult, just take your time and take measurements.

I'm currently doing the same thing. How did yours turn out Phil3???

I have a PTG bottom metal on its way. According to the description of it in Midway's website, it's a drop in.

We shall see. I am in no mood to be doing any milling on any part of the rifle, so if this bottom metal takes more than some light sanding around the BM inlet, it will go back to Midway. Or I will sell it here....

I have a CDI dbm on my Howa .300 wm, and I didn't have to do anything to the action at all. I just inletted the dbm slightly below flush and my 5 rounder AICS mags work just fine.

I have the PTG, it is drop in, and seems to be real nice. Problem is, if you have a Weatherby or Howa like I do, you'll have to mill part of the action and the bolt stop. In the process of filing em down now.

I'll get a better pic of the actual dbm area when I get home from work

Last edited:
I installed the PTG and Like has been said. There is a tab that sticks out from the rear of the mag well that needs to be removed. The mag will fit just fine without ammo without out it removed, but will not allow rounds to come up to the chamber. I removed mine with a dremel tool.

Its similar to the Remington action that has the screw hole that in the rear of the mag well that needs to be removed sometimes.

It is a drop in to the stock in letting, but not the action.

I also found that to make the PTG work with my stock the bottom meal sits proud of the stock by 1/4 inch. I can not get the bottom metal to sit flush without the feed lips of the mag sitting way to high and hitting the bolt. I think its a stock issue, there is not enough material between the bottom of the action and the bottom of the stock.

Other than that, its works great.

I installed the PTG and Like has been said. There is a tab that sticks out from the rear of the mag well that needs to be removed. The mag will fit just fine without ammo without out it removed, but will not allow rounds to come up to the chamber. I removed mine with a dremel tool.

Its similar to the Remington action that has the screw hole that in the rear of the mag well that needs to be removed sometimes.

It is a drop in to the stock in letting, but not the action.

I also found that to make the PTG work with my stock the bottom meal sits proud of the stock by 1/4 inch. I can not get the bottom metal to sit flush without the feed lips of the mag sitting way to high and hitting the bolt. I think its a stock issue, there is not enough material between the bottom of the action and the bottom of the stock.

Other than that, its works great.

Are you talking about removing that little projection in the middle of the back side of the mag opening at the bottom of the receiver?

Did you have to alter the bolt stop too?

Attachments

• flaches_System_1000.jpg
    flaches_System_1000.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Just the projection. I did not have to mess with the bolt stop, but I will double check it after hearing about others that had to change theirs.

A couple crappy cell phone shots. It's hard to make out, but the action is as of yet unaltered. The only other thing I forgot to mention was that i had to open up the feed lips on the AI mag to get the rounds to time properly.

I'm curious as to what calibers y'all are runnin? If theyre short action maybe that has somethin to do with it, since mine is a mag and I seem to have a little give in the mag running factory loads.

Hey Guy's
I'll try to help you shed some light on the Howa modification.. My current match rifle is Howa 6x47 with CDI bottom metal, Initially Jeff @ CDI did the inlet on another stock, but not the current stock, and as far as I can tell nothing has been modified on the action and it feeds wonderfully..

Here are a few pics, I can get better hi res pics if someone wants.

a>
a>