• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa detachable magazine question.

Rant Durden

Calmer than you
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2018
I have an older Howa (branded Smith and Wesson!) 1500 in 222. I'd like to change it to a detachable box, but it appears my two choices are go with PTG which only takes AICS or go with the Legacy Sports/Weatherby which takes a proprietary magazine. There is not much info that I'd bet on, as some say the PTG works with Magpul and some say the Legacy sports works with Magpul as well. I like the PTG peice, but its $160 plus three $70 mags and kinda blows the budget. I've got a metric shit ton Magpuls so this would be a great solution.
Anyone with knowledge of this that could confirm, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Look around and see if you can find an old CDI as another option. Maybe get lucky

The PTG will work with the Mapul AICS style mags. Also the Atlasworxs will as well, which is another option. One last option is put it in a KRG Stock which will allow the Magpul AICS Mags.

If you do run into issues, there are some YouTube videos on what to adjust to make it all work. Just search for Howa 1500 AICS magazine conversion" or "Howa 1500 AICS magazine modification"

Reactions: Rant Durden