• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa Gunsmith

cro789

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2008
    TN
    I have a Howa mini action in 6ARC in a pistol form in a MDT LSS. I am looking for a gunsmith that can true the action and replace the barrel. I will be keeping the 6ARC set up but would like to make this a match set up. Any suggestions?

I have a Howa mini action in 6ARC in a pistol form in a MDT LSS. I am looking for a gunsmith that can true the action and replace the barrel. I will be keeping the 6ARC set up but would like to make this a match set up. Any suggestions?
    I am pretty sure that I have seen LRI post some images of work done on the mini action.
    @LongRifles Inc.

Mr Dixon will probably be along shortly to let us know.

Another vote for SAC, he hooked me up with a build off an extra Weatherby Vanguard action I had sitting in the safe.

Your biggest hurdle in re-barelling a Howa action is getting the factory barrel off. I re-barreled My howa short action myself but had to have a gunsmith literally cut the barrel off.
    On a side note, now you can find barrel makers that do shouldered prefits for Howa actions. All I had to do was spin it on, and torque to spec. If the bolt closes on a go gauge but not on a no-go gauge, you're done. I don't know how McGowan and CarbonSix stack up against the usual suspects, but they both will do a shouldered prefit for a howa action.

Your biggest hurdle in re-barelling a Howa action is getting the factory barrel off. I re-barreled My howa short action myself but had to have a gunsmith literally cut the barrel off.
    On a side note, now you can find barrel makers that do shouldered prefits for Howa actions. All I had to do was spin it on, and torque to spec. If the bolt closes on a go gauge but not on a no-go gauge, you're done. I don't know how McGowan and CarbonSix stack up against the usual suspects, but they both will do a shouldered prefit for a howa action.
    The barrel is already been changed to a 15” in a pistol configuration. I now want to make it a rifle.

The barrel is already been changed to a 15” in a pistol configuration. I now want to make it a rifle.
    Since the factory barrel is gone, you should be able to get your current barrel pretty easy with an action wrench and a barrel vice. Order a barrel and you are off to the races. As long as you can get a shouldered prefit, you shouldn't need a gunsmith. If you are willing to run a barrel nut and a variable shouldered barrel, the sky is the limit on barrel companies.
    An action wrench ( I prefer Short Action Customs)
    A barrel vise
    A set of go/no go gauges
    A barrel nut and nut wrench (if you want to go that route)
    You will never need another gunsmith to change a barrel.

Since the factory barrel is gone, you should be able to get your current barrel pretty easy with an action wrench and a barrel vice. Order a barrel and you are off to the races. As long as you can get a shouldered prefit, you shouldn't need a gunsmith. If you are willing to run a barrel nut and a variable shouldered barrel, the sky is the limit on barrel companies.
    An action wrench ( I prefer Short Action Customs)
    A barrel vise
    A set of go/no go gauges
    A barrel nut and nut wrench (if you want to go that route)
    You will never need another gunsmith to change a barrel.
    ^^^This. My experience is that Howas do not need truing.

I know this will sound like a stupid question but do you own an action wrench and barrel vice? They are no where near as easy to do as a Savage with barrel nut but if you have both the wrench and the barrel vice they are not terrible to get off. I have had Mauser's that where much harder to get apart! The Savages are so easy to get apart my hamfisted twins without my help could figure them out just watching a Youtube video. So it is all relative!

You name the brand I have heard guys having a difficult time getting a barrel off! Likewise not everyone can confidently cut metric threads on an ancient lathe that was never setup for metric threads. It can be done but takes real skill and experience to do. Skill and experience I do not posses to do confidently!

People do make Howa Pre-Fits with barrel nut though to make life easy!

It is always smart though to take something to a professional over risking damaging it!! Nothing wrong with that at all!
    Yes I own an action wrench and a barrel vice. The catch is Howa barrels are known to be SUPER HARD to get off. The gunsmith at Stumpies custom guns had to cut mine off. Having the option of a barrel nut or a shouldered prefit, swapping a barrel is to easy to pay someone else to do it.