• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

howa gunsmith

jlutcher51

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2011
nottoway, virginia
Sorry if this has been asked a million times I've tried using the search function and can't find it. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith for Howa rifles I've seen a guy from Germany recommended in a couple threads but I don't know how this would work with me being in the states. I want to have a 308 action rebarreled in 7-08 with a pac-nor barrel have the action trued put it in a Macmillan stock and have the trigger worked. Thanks in advance.

Re: howa gunsmith

I had a local gunsmith do mine (.223 to .300 Blackout). One thing though: many will tell you they have to destroy the old barrel to get it off, this is NOT true. The .223 barrel was removed and the only damage was the rubbing off of a bit of the bluing. The issue is that apparently Howa torques the barrels to something like 300 ft lbs.

I was originally quoted by a different 'smith $300 just to remove the barrel and he would destroy it in the process. The guy I went with charged $50.

Thanks Yall. I'll have to do some searching for gunsmiths in the phoenix area and see if any of them mess with howas. I'm moving out there at the beginning of December and probably won't start the build till after I get out there.

Check out Accuracy Speaks, located at the Rio Salado Sportsman's club. From what I understand, Derrik Martin uses a modified Howa action to test AR15 service rifle barrels, so I imagine he can work on them.

that was probably me you got mentioned.

id love to do the job for you, but the logistics of getting your parts here and then back to you would be a hassle.

the howa makes a great base for a rifle build, if you take it to any of the well known riflesmiths on snipershide you will get the job done nicely.

as Howa's go they true up easily enough, no problems there.

we've started fitting barrels with a savage like barrel nut to Howa's to make them switch barrel and do offer Lothar Walther barrels with a barrel nut, sending a barrel to the US is easy enough.

with the parts you mentioned you will end up with a dependable and accurate rifle

Rgds Pete

Yes Pete it was you. I have two factory howas now one 25-06 and one 22-250 both are very accurate dependable rifles. This will be my first custom and really looking forward to it

ive built a lot of semi custom rifles on the Howa action, from .222 up to .338 lap, and they all worked excellently.
great base to build on. like i said, get ahold of one of the state side smiths mentioned often on the hide and you wont go wrong. put some pics up when you get her fettled.-.- rgds Pete

I am accepting Howa work at the shop. We are doing bolt knob conversions, barreling, action truing and 8/40 screw upgrades. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mark

IMG_2984-Copy.jpg

IMG_2987-Copy.jpg

IMG_2992.jpg

There is more info on the bolt knob conversions here on my page.

Short Action Customs