• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa HCR 6.5 CM

PowellSixO

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 2, 2018
So I just picked up a Howa HCR chambered in 6.5 creedmoor from Buds Guns. On sale for $850 shipped, with an additional ffl cost of $25 at Cal Ranch. I bought this to use in the PRS production class. I topped it with a steel 20 moa picatinny rail made made by Warren. Then I put an older Nightforce NXS 5.5-22×50 C202 on it, with NF UL low rings. To tame the recoil, for spotting shots, I put a Jetblast 6.5 muzzle brake on it. I put an Atlas v8 bipod on it, but didn't like the feel of it, so I replaced it with a Harris 6-9 swivel bipod on it. I like the feel of it much better for some reason. I got the stock adjusted to me perfectly, and bore sighted it as best that I possibly could. I am really pleased with the action. The bolt cycles great. The two stage trigger I really like too. Out of the box it breaks at 3.5 lbs, but it doesn't feel like it. If feels more like 2 lbs. I then picked up 1000 rounds of Hornady 147 eldm bullets, 1000 Cci Br-4 primers, 200 Lapua cases, and 6 pounds of Rl16 (no h4350 to be found). I did a lot of load research, and found 42 grains of rl16 seemed to be a mild, but accurate load. So I loaded up one case at 39.5 gr, one case at 40 gr, one case at 40.5 gr, one case at 41 gr, one case at 41.5 gr, and 5 at 42 gr. These were just for barrel break in purposes. I used 3 rounds to get on at 50 yards, cleaning between shots. I then shot one at 100, which was high, and cleaned again. I put a couple clicks down, and shot too low. I figured it was likely due to me pulling the shot, so I didn't make any adjustments. I then proceeded to shoot the last five shots without any cleaning between shots. They all stacked in beautifully. I didn't get any of these over a chronograph, so I don't have any speeds or es or sd numbers, but they are coming. So far it looks promising. I'm going to do some more load testing obviously, and I'll keep this thread updated. It's raining today, but hopefully I can get loads made today, and get back out there tomorrow.
20200221_074613.jpg
20200221_115933.jpg
20200221_144425.jpg
20200221_153329.jpg

Reactions: Thecelt
Can anyone recommend a good bag for the prs matches? That was one thing that really handicapped me in the first prs I attempted. Thanks

You picked a nice rifle and at a good price. If you like the feel of the Harris over the V8, I would highly recommend the Atlas CAL. The V8 is one of the original designs that was updated with the PSR which has the legs that don’t spin. The CAL is a non panning and wider footprint atlas design and I’m a huge fan.

I also think the Howa 2 stage trigger is pretty damn nice factory offering when compared to the rest of the market. I would not feel obligated at all to aftermarket!

Reactions: PowellSixO
Nice deal!
For bags, I LOVE the Pump Pillow! Probably my favorite bag, and I use it the most of the three I have. I got myself a pump pillow, a SAP Run n Gun bag for use as a small rear bag. and a Bison Tactical Udder bag for some barricades and sometimes a rear stabilizer. Those cover all my bag needs. But the Pump is my fave lol. Its size lends itself to versatility and its lightweight so It doesnt feel like youre lugging around a dead cat from position to position.

Nice deal!
For bags, I LOVE the Pump Pillow! Probably my favorite bag, and I use it the most of the three I have. I got myself a pump pillow, a SAP Run n Gun bag for use as a small rear bag. and a Bison Tactical Udder bag for some barricades and sometimes a rear stabilizer. Those cover all my bag needs. But the Pump is my fave lol. Its size lends itself to versatility and its lightweight so It doesnt feel like youre lugging around a dead cat from position to position.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into those. I was actually about to order the pump pillow. Lol

Reactions: SuperSneakySniper
You got a good deal. I bought mine for just about the same price as you did but mine didn't come threaded. As a result, my APA lil bastard is just collecting dust...

Just put a homemade target stand together. Going to cut a piece of steel tomorrow, and hopefully go shoot.
20200222_162726.jpg

One more question for those of you with the HCR. Will magpul magazines work in this rifle? If so, how do you like them? I'm wanting to get a couple more spare magazines for the matches. Or should I just buy another mdt magazine, like the one that came with the rifle?

I'm almost certain I have ran some of my Magpul aics mags in my brothers HCR. For the price point it is an excellent rifle.

I'm almost certain I have ran some of my Magpul aics mags in my brothers HCR. For the price point it is an excellent rifle.
The only complaint of the rifle so far is the magazine. It's super hard to get the 10th round in the magazine. It may fix itself with more use, or I might be able to modify the mag itself. But it's really not the rifles fault. Probably just me being picky. Lol.

I have an accurate mag and a magpul but I have no idea where my accurate mag ended up at. I bought a magpul and felt it was feeding smoother that I forgot about the accurate mag.

Well of course the weather isn't cooperating with me. Too muddy to get out to my shooting spot. So cut out a couple of targets with some scrap steel. Going to order some real targets next pay period.
20200223_091242.jpg
20200223_103245.jpg

Reactions: stello1001
Well of course the weather isn't cooperating with me. Too muddy to get out to my shooting spot. So cut out a couple of targets with some scrap steel. Going to order some real targets next pay period. View attachment 7256778View attachment 7256779

Do you mind sending me some close ups of how you attached the target to the chains? When you have time of course. I might be starting a "home range" soon and just looking to get ideas.

Do you mind sending me some close ups of how you attached the target to the chains? When you have time of course. I might be starting a "home range" soon and just looking to get ideas.
Just cut holes in the steel and then ran a bolt through the chain and plate. Pretty easy. The stand itself is just made with 5 pieces of 48" long black iron pipe from home depot. Then using pipe fittings to put it together. Easy, strong, and around 100 bucks.
20200223_114840.jpg
20200223_114849.jpg
20200223_114859.jpg

Reactions: stello1001
Just cut holes in the steel and then ran a bolt through the chain and plate. Pretty easy. The stand itself is just made with 5 pieces of 48" long black iron pipe from home depot. Then using pipe fittings to put it together. Easy, strong, and around 100 bucks. View attachment 7256822View attachment 7256824View attachment 7256825

I like it. Overall, it's just about the same concept as the one I threw together last week.

Ever thought about using grade 8 bolts and only attaching the chain to the back side of the plate? That's the probably the only thing I would change. It would help with having less chain in the danger zone and prevent it from being struck.

On my stand, I use some hanger style attachments to the crossbar but want to add chains later on which is why I asked for close up.

Attachments

• 20200216_170208.jpg
    20200216_170208.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
I like it. Overall, it's just about the same concept as the one I threw together last week.

Ever thought about using grade 8 bolts and only attaching the chain to the back side of the plate? That's the probably the only thing I would change. It would help with having less chain in the danger zone and prevent it from being struck.

On my stand, I use some hanger style attachments to the crossbar but want to add chains later on which is why I asked for close up.
Nice I like it. Yeah I need to probably come up with a better way to support the targets for sure. I just used what bolts I had laying around. I like the hanger style support you have there. When I get my ar500 steel targets in I'll have to weld a hanger on the back of them or something.

Nice I like it. Yeah I need to probably come up with a better way to support the targets for sure. I just used what bolts I had laying around. I like the hanger style support you have there. When I get my ar500 steel targets in I'll have to weld a hanger on the back of them or something.

Lol, you and I want exact opposites. I have a D ring welded on the back and use hangers but want chains. You have chains but want to attach via hangers. Either way, you'll be good to go. Both are good options.

Well I didn't have time to do any load work up, so I just sat down and loaded up 15 rounds of the 42.5 gr RL16, so I could at least finish breaking the barrel in. I'm pleased to report that the rifle shoots GREAT. I zeroed at 200 yards. Cleaned the barrel, and then shot a group at 500 yards, guessing my fps. I plugged the info into Applied Ballistics, and fired 2 shots. I could immediately see I was low. I subtracted 25 fps, and dialed up .1 mil. I then fired 6 in a row. Not a bad group if I do say so myself. The wind was ever so slightly blowing in my face, and from my right to my left. I then backed up to 1003 yards. I dialed up to 1000 yards. I fired one shot, and could see dust left of target. I dialed .3 mil for wind, and fired again. I saw dust just off left side of target. So I dialed .5 mils for wind. I fired 1 more shot, and saw the target swing. I couldn't see where I had hit, so I fired 4 more times (seeing the target swing each time). When I drove up to the target, I was honestly amazed. One of the best 5 shot groups I've ever put together at this distance!!! This rifle is going to be a shooter.

powerline.jpeg

howa1500.jpeg

target.jpeg

copecanbull.jpeg

Well I didn't have time to do any load work up, so I just sat down and loaded up 15 rounds of the 42.5 gr RL16, so I could at least finish breaking the barrel in. I'm pleased to report that the rifle shoots GREAT. I zeroed at 200 yards. Cleaned the barrel, and then shot a group at 500 yards, guessing my fps. I plugged the info into Applied Ballistics, and fired 2 shots. I could immediately see I was low. I subtracted 25 fps, and dialed up .1 mil. I then fired 6 in a row. Not a bad group if I do say so myself. The wind was ever so slightly blowing in my face, and from my right to my left. I then backed up to 1003 yards. I dialed up to 1000 yards. I fired one shot, and could see dust left of target. I dialed .3 mil for wind, and fired again. I saw dust just off left side of target. So I dialed .5 mils for wind. I fired 1 more shot, and saw the target swing. I couldn't see where I had hit, so I fired 4 more times (seeing the target swing each time). When I drove up to the target, I was honestly amazed. One of the best 5 shot groups I've ever put together at this distance!!! This rifle is going to be a shooter.

View attachment 7264205
View attachment 7264206
View attachment 7264208
View attachment 7264207
That's fucking awesome. Try painting an orange crosshair on your target like I do so you have a very consistent point of aim. You'll see that your already tight groups, will shrink a bit more. You'll be able to align your reticle to it and be very consistent.
Either way, that's some good shooting.

Well, I competed in my first production class prs match this last weekend. I'm glad to say that I won the production class, and finished 27th overall of 79 shooters. Gun did exactly what it was supposed to. I on the other hand could have done much better. With practice, I hope to move up several more spots. This Howa has really exceeded my expectations. Very very pleased with my purchase.

My brother and I have a pretty solid flat range and we actually use thick leather straps to hang from the horizontal crossbar of the gong stand and then attach those to the steel plate via galvanized carriage bolt with rear washers and nuts to hold them on. The leather straps hold up really well if they take a hit.

Thanks for sharing. I picked up my first HCR in March. I haven't been able to go out and get the barrel broke in yet but I am looking forward to it. I got the scoped package (just under 1k off of GunBroker) and eventually plan to change out the glass an move the Nikko to another rig. I changed out the grip, put on a PA M11 muzzle brake and installed a MDT folding stock adapter so I can get it in a hard case.
20200421_074708.jpg

20200421_074629.jpg