• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa Heavy Barrel .308 Tactical

turbochad

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2009
KY
My buddy is wanting to buy a decent .308.... What do you guys think about the Howa tactical with the Hogue synthetic stock? He just wants to put a good scope on and a bi-pod and go have some fun. Thanks

Re: Howa Heavy Barrel .308 Tactical

I dont care for the hogue stocks myself. How much is he wanting to spend?

I am wondering more about the Howa brand itself. That Hogue is the same stock that came on my SPS Tactical. It will soon be changed anyway. He can buy that gun new for around $430 or something and the 700 SPS is more like $600

Talk to your dealer about a barreled action. Jerrys sports center/ Simmons normally has the Howa HB in stock and the pricing is right. Then get the stock mentioned above or the vertical grip style is offered also. Check Stockys for the stocks, best pricing i've seen.

I would not worry about the Howa action. I am doing a Howa build right now and in many ways, these are superior to Remmy's.

So far, I like mine alot!

The Howa's are great rifles. I love mine. It shoots very well, as well as others I have tested. The action is very smooth, and I like the 3 position safety. Take a look at the Boyd's laminated stocks. They are nice, if you want good wood.

I have 2 Howas and this thread makes me want another. McMillan inlets the A2 and the Sako Varmninter for the Howa . . . if the HTG were inletted, the world would be near perfect.

As for the trigger, I don't mind the factory unit. Maybe if I tried an aftermarket trigger I might be swayed, but so far all is good.

My .308 Howa started out as a heavy barrel .243. I shot it a bit and had .75" groups at 100yds, but I had the 30 cal bug and sent it to Krieger to have them rebarrel.

Buy one and shoot it. Hard to go wrong.

david

Im doing a HOWA build right now as well on a Vanguard LA Im building a 300win tactical.

The HOWA action is better thean the rem 700. I have two other rifle built on rem 700 and the HOWA is much stiffer.

Cool. I appreciate the answers. I think he is going to try it.

I sell the Howa barreled action in a B&C varmint tactical stock for $650 and I offer camo in Duracoat for free on the stock.

I've sold a bunch of these and they are very nice. they seemed to be machined to closer tolerances at the factory that just about any comparably priced rifle.

Let me know if I can help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. . . if the HTG were inletted, the world would be near perfect.</div></div>

Manners will inlet their T3 for sure, possibly the T too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWDG3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. . . if the HTG were inletted, the world would be near perfect.</div></div>

Manners will inlet their T3 for sure, possibly the T too. </div></div>

That is toooo nice! Thanks for the headsup.

Another way to go is with Pete Lincoln chasis it is his version of a AICS and it does use AICS skins . Plus Pete does alot of builds off of the Howa actions and speaks very well of them. He has said that they are one of the truest actions from the factory that he has delt with. Take a look around his website. Price for the stock delivered is right on spot with an AICS

http://www.webshop.roedale.de/index.php?cat=c70_RCS.html