• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Howa in .260 Rem and McRee stock for Howa?

pklin1297

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Fontana, CA
Hello all,

I figured I would ask both questions in one shot instead of creating two threads...

Since Howas are not offered in this flavor, I'm wondering if anyone here has a Howa rebarreled to .260 Rem? Which barrel did you go with? How is it performing for ya?

Also, does anyone know if the McRee stock is/will be inletted for the Howa action? I will contact the manufacturer (actually isn't he a member here?) soon but thought I would ask here first.

Thanks!

Re: Howa in .260 Rem and McRee stock for Howa?

he probably doesnt offer a stock for any of the howa actions yet ( might be wrong) but the point is, if you send him your action he can get one made up for you. I'd definately talk to scott first. Give him a call, but he may be busy, right now he's packing up shop and moving to MO from ID, so you might be patient.

Pete, my roe deer hunting rifle is based on a Howa 1500 action, its in .260rem. it wears a Lothar Walther barrel, and a PSE composits stock,the barrel profile is a BR light Varmint, but its an experimental barrel, its basicaly turned down to a very light sporter profile and is then sleeved with an alloy outer barrel taking the profile up to size again. The rifle looks like it weighs about 5kg, it actauly weighs only 2.9kg. and so far i cant tell the difference in light or heavy barrel, it shoots 1/4" consistently. my sons rifle (when he gets hiss ass in gear and beds it and puts the finish coating on it) is also a .260rem. this has a True-Flite sporter barrel on it.
Ive built quite a few .260rems on Howa actions.
they all worked excellently. Great little action for a cheap custom job,.
if you are up for an AICS looking rifle we've got several chassis for the Howa on shelf (only in black side pannels at the mo though)
You can't go wrong with the Howa actions.

regards Pete

Yeah Pete I saw the rifle you mentioned in another thread... Very cool. I'll be shooting mostly from a bench and/or prone with minimal movement and carry so weight won't be much an issue. Just exploring options in terms of actions I can use for a .260 Rem build. I know most will use the Rem or clone actions but I tend to want to be different but not at the chance that something may turn out wrong. I have shot Howas and liked them.

Greg, the barrels cost about 200€ retail more than a standard barrel.
Ive 2 or 3 of them and have been testing them for about 18 months now, and i honestly cant fault them.

Pete, you wont go wrong with the Howa. We seriously considered doing a full custom version of the action with an integral picatinny on top, we only opted for the remingtopn foot print because of the availability of stocks and mag systems means the actions will sell easier.

have you seen that Nosler custom rifle ? if the action isn't made by Howa then it is a 95% copy.

Pete

Nosler custom rifle? I will have to search and check that out. Pete I am waiting for you to come out with more goodies for the Howa to solidify my choice...
smile.gif
Then you can be the only custom building outfit for Howa...
smile.gif

what do you need Pete.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Stock / mag System:</span>
A. Manners stock, inletted for our mag system, already available, Tom has all his stocks inlettable for Howa, he has one of our mag systems and has an inlett for it.
B: our RCS

<span style="font-weight: bold">Barrels,</span> any good smith will fit a barrel to a Howa just as easy as to a Remington.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Triggers,</span> the factory unit when tuned is perfectly good enough for a tactical rifle, they can be tuned to 500g and work absolutely safely.But if you realy want to swap the trigger there are a couple available

<span style="font-weight: bold">Picatinny Rail </span> we have them, and so do several other manufacturers

We are working on a 3 position, bolt mounted safety.

what else do you need ?

regards Pete

I guess nothing more is needed... Other than a donor action.
smile.gif

That and get Scott at McRee to offer his stock in a Howa inlet.