• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa M1100 First Impressions

gr8guns

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2019
I just picked up .22 LR serial number 53, bolt action Howa M1100 rifle today. Upon opening the box, the contents were very basic. There was the rifle, a bolt, and a manual. There Is a tag touting capability to shoot a three shot group under an inch at 100 yards, with conditions applying. Giving the stock a flex test, I see there is a little side to side movement. The stock appears to have a little variance in appearance like something on it in shiny streaks The barrel is lighter weight than I had expected, but I was not familiar with the profile number. The polygonal tube looks a little strange as I looked down the bore. This my first experience with this type of rifling. The barrel exterior is not polished, and feels a little rough to the touch. The muzzle thread cap is a different finish than the barrel . The bolt feels substantial, with a nicely textured, easy to grip handle surface. The rear bolt shroud is nice shiny metal and not plastic. After loading up my dry wall anchors, the five shot average trigger pull is 4 lbs. 2 ounces, according to my Lyman digital gauge. The trigger is nicely grooved. The manual says the trigger is adjustable, with the screws having a safety seal. I hope it is not the blue lock tite that sealed up my Lithgow LA101 trigger housing retainer screw. 😱 The length of pull is just about right for me. I think the weight will be pretty good once a scope is mounted. The fore end is flat on the bottom and should ride bags well. There are two slots in the forend bottom for some reason. Ah, the scope mounting...there is no base provided, and the manual does not even mention mounting a scope that I could find. I have popped off a note to Legacy to get some information for bases. Of course, the four holes in the non - grooved receiver are left open, as is the trend these days. I can measure the hole distance and probably find two piece bases from Weaver, but I would rather spend more money and get a one piece base.
I won’t get to swab the barrel, or do any prep for a few days. I have a little knee surgery coming up in about six and a half hours to repair the classic meniscus tear. This helps to confirm I am a 40 year old man trapped in a 69 year old body!

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. Can’t wait to see some groups. Hope ya get better soon.

I just picked up .22 LR serial number 53, bolt action Howa M1100 rifle today. Upon opening the box, the contents were very basic. There was the rifle, a bolt, and a manual. There Is a tag touting capability to shoot a three shot group under an inch at 100 yards, with conditions applying. Giving the stock a flex test, I see there is a little side to side movement. The stock appears to have a little variance in appearance like something on it in shiny streaks The barrel is lighter weight than I had expected, but I was not familiar with the profile number. The polygonal tube looks a little strange as I looked down the bore. This my first experience with this type of rifling. The barrel exterior is not polished, and feels a little rough to the touch. The muzzle thread cap is a different finish than the barrel . The bolt feels substantial, with a nicely textured, easy to grip handle surface. The rear bolt shroud is nice shiny metal and not plastic. After loading up my dry wall anchors, the five shot average trigger pull is 4 lbs. 2 ounces, according to my Lyman digital gauge. The trigger is nicely grooved. The manual says the trigger is adjustable, with the screws having a safety seal. I hope it is not the blue lock tite that sealed up my Lithgow LA101 trigger housing retainer screw. 😱 The length of pull is just about right for me. I think the weight will be pretty good once a scope is mounted. The fore end is flat on the bottom and should ride bags well. There are two slots in the forend bottom for some reason. Ah, the scope mounting...there is no base provided, and the manual does not even mention mounting a scope that I could find. I have popped off a note to Legacy to get some information for bases. Of course, the four holes in the non - grooved receiver are left open, as is the trend these days. I can measure the hole distance and probably find two piece bases from Weaver, but I would rather spend more money and get a one piece base.
I won’t get to swab the barrel, or do any prep for a few days. I have a little knee surgery coming up in about six and a half hours to repair the classic meniscus tear. This helps to confirm I am a 40 year old man trapped in a 69 year old body!

If everything with the knee operation goes well, your only problem will be a squishy knee for a day.

Regarding the new rifle; since you didn't supply pictures, it didn't happen. You get a pass due to the knee problems, but please supply picks asap.
Hope all goes well.

My question is did you feel good about the rifle purchase once you have had a chance to fondle it for a while? Any "what the hell " feelings?

My question is did you feel good about the rifle purchase once you have had a chance to fondle it for a while? Any "what the hell " feelings?
I think for the price, it is fine.......if it shoots like other Howa rifles........the bottom is totally plastic, the mag release lever, mag well, the screws for bedding go through the stock with no washers or metal reinforcement. The sealer for the trigger pull weight screw is silicone, easy to remove. The trigger adjusted to 2 lbs. 8.5 ounces 5 pull average. Spring change needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Merlin O
I think for the price, it is fine.......if it shoots like other Howa rifles........the bottom is totally plastic, the mag release lever, mag well, the screws for bedding go through the stock with no washers or metal reinforcement. The sealer for the trigger pull weight screw is silicone, easy to remove. The trigger adjusted to 2 lbs. 8.5 ounces 5 pull average. Spring change needed.
I picked up my Howa M1100 at the gun shop this morning. Mine is serial number 52. The trigger pull measured a consistent 2 pounds 14 ounces from the start and measured the same with the adjustment screw completely removed.
I searched my stash of scope bases and found bases for the Knight Legend muzzleloader fit perfectly then mounted a Bushnell Forge 4.5-27 with Deploy MOA reticle. I did a rough sight in at 55 yards in three shots then put the remaining round in a cluster that a dime completely covered. There was a lot of luck involved because I was using one sandbag off a wobbly table. I'm impressed so far.

Good to see these starting to show up in the wild.
Fingers crossed we get them down here soon.

Hope the knee is feeling better soon gr8guns.

This was shot from a wobbly table using a bipod. I haven't had time to really see how it's gonna shoot.
What ammo was that?
Just curious if it was something good like centerX or mid grade ammo.

how does the action feel when cycling ammo?

If you get the chance could you take some pictures on how the barrel is attached/retained to the receiver?

What ammo was that?
Just curious if it was something good like centerX or mid grade ammo.

how does the action feel when cycling ammo?

If you get the chance could you take some pictures on how the barrel is attached/retained to the receiver?
Center X.

I purchased along with two friends the Howa m1100. I have not owned prior to the M1100 a Howa but my friends of the .223 Hogue rifles and they shoot very well for the money. To set this up a little more I own a Tikka T1x and love it. The Howa M1100 is about the same price so and has a sub-MOA guarantee so we figured we could not lose. If you don't mind I'll provide a link to my Youtube Videos related to the Howa. By the way this post was helpful in my buying decision. Looks like you had better luck than we did.

Reactions: Frankr
I purchased along with two friends the Howa m1100. I have not owned prior to the M1100 a Howa but my friends of the .223 Hogue rifles and they shoot very well for the money. To set this up a little more I own a Tikka T1x and love it. The Howa M1100 is about the same price so and has a sub-MOA guarantee so we figured we could not lose. If you don't mind I'll provide a link to my Youtube Videos related to the Howa. By the way this post was helpful in my buying decision. Looks like you had better luck than we did.

Thanks for the review. Sucks it won’t shoot with the tikka though

Thanks for the review.

Couple of little questions re the comparison,

How many rounds down the Tikka compared to the Howa ?
Knowing a lot of rimfires settle down after a fair amount of ammo goes through them.

Also do you think the lower trigger weight on the Tikka would have likely helped it ?

What ammo was used ? & did you test both rifles & then use their preferred ammo ?

FYI,
Mag is similar to CZ but does not interchange.
Trigger tuning is the same as the Howa 1500 centrefire.
And I agree that the trigger guard is not to my liking either.

I'm still waiting for mine & hoping its a shooter

Thanks
Drew

They are a round bottom receiver so not the same as Howa centrefire, there is more pics in another thread.

I have a block of alloy sitting here to make an adapter to put the rimfire in a Howa 1500 S/A stock.

Hopefully when enough of these are around all the info will end up together.
Thanks for the information. I was hoping this would be like the 1500s so you can use big boy stocks and chassis.

The Howa M1100 is designed to fit Ruger American rimfire bases. The EGW tactical is the perfect fit.

I’m sorry, but this guy doesn’t know shit. Not saying that the rifle is not a turd, but who doesn’t know what a bold release is? I could not make it past half way in the video.

The Howa M1100 is designed to fit Ruger American rimfire bases. The EGW tactical is the perfect fit.
Is the EGW tactical you mention a pic rail or bases ?

On mine I have used Warne M824/824M bases to suit Anshutz, Browning T-Bolt, Savage Model 93,Mk11 as after a bit of research they crossed referenced to the remington 541 mounts that Legacy recommends & thats what the LGS had in stock.
Warne medium rings with a Sig Sauer whisky3 4-12x44 scope.

Haven't had a chance to get out to have a shoot with it yet.

Is the EGW tactical you mention a pic rail or bases ?

On mine I have used Warne M824/824M bases to suit Anshutz, Browning T-Bolt, Savage Model 93,Mk11 as after a bit of research they crossed referenced to the remington 541 mounts that Legacy recommends & thats what the LGS had in stock.
Warne medium rings with a Sig Sauer whisky3 4-12x44 scope.

Haven't had a chance to get out to have a shoot with it yet.

The EGW PIC Rail.

I kept it simple with Vortex rings, and crossfire scope as it will be more of a workhorse for pest control.

Nice enough to shoot but I have only broken it in at this stage so cannot comment on accuracy.

Attachments

• C0231597-A5BC-4004-AC55-D5BD8612792B.jpeg
    C0231597-A5BC-4004-AC55-D5BD8612792B.jpeg
    934.6 KB · Views: 233

If you want an audience, rehearse and retake.

Sorry, but when you can't come up with the word "muzzle" when talking about the barrel you lost me. Add in the stumbling and mumbling, where was I going...

You don't have to be perfect, but you can edit!

Reactions: BennieDaBlade
@Birdy161,
This thread just popped back up.

The Warne bases M824/824M bolted straight on.

I have since changed from the Warne bases to a Pic rail being a MDT pic rail to suit a Ruger American Rimfire with the recoil lug removed & the ejection port opened up to suit the Howa.
Believe it would have been easier to use an EGW pic rail as you have done.