• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa M1500 American Flag Bolt Action Rifle

5StarGunsAndGear

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2023
Saraland Alabama
Thinking about getting this a local store has 2 on clearance for 1200 What would you get .308 or 6.5 Creedmore I have rifles already chambered in both. I shoot out to 1000 yard with my 300 prc so looking for another gun to shoot 500-1000

My buddy has that model in 6.5 needmore
Great piece of equipment. It loves the Hornaday Black ammo.
His has a distressed flag finish.
I like it, others hate it. To each their own

The only one I am familiar with is in 6.5. As stated above it loves Hornady Black. I thought it was almost clownish until my buddy started pulling the trigger. I was impressed.

Reactions: IdahoRenegade
I'm biased against the manbun, although it's a fine cartridge ( I just threw up alittle ;) ). .308 Win is easier to get ammo during lean times such as the pandemic, unfavorable 2A attacks and such. The 6.5 will be easier to shoot at farther ranges. IMO the 308 Win is better for elk hunting but that's not in your criteria. Either cartridge will be fine so get what YOU WANT. I'm a 308 Win fan but after shooting my 260 AI I have less bias against the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Reviving this old post-has anyone got one? I don't like the flag finish, but you sure get a lot of rifle for the price. Looking at the 24" 6.5 Creed. For just over $1200 you get the rifle with full aluminum chassis stock (AR style), LUTHAR butt, 3 mags, 2 grips (straight and "AR"), brake, scope mounts, rings and scope (with sunshade) and a bipod. Seriously considering this (can address the finish with Duracoat or Krylon if I feel the need). Undoubtablly the optics are junk, but something to start with and upgrade (Vortex in the works). I figure I could sell the scope for a few bucks, maybe the pod too. Plenty modular to tweak.

I'd really prefer the same rifle in black, but seems less common right now. I'd really prefer the TSPX (non-AR style chassis-but folding). Looks a little nicer to me, but I can't find one at a shop (did find one on Gunbroker, but will of course add shipping costs and FFL fees).

So, does anyone have any experience with the Howa/APC? Or the TSPX for that matter? Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Oh, here is the rifle (OK to post link?) https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...cy+chassis+6.5+crd+24+hvy+threaded+barrel+rwb

For comparison, here's the TSPX https://www.howausa.com/rifles/tspx/

The Howa triggers are great for factory, better with a spring. I would steer clear of the chassis-uses proprietary mags, latch in front, questionable ergos and looks. You could get $100 for the scope on ebay. You could have a barreled action from brownells with a krg or mdt field for $800 or so, even the Hera h7 model is about $700 and takes aics mags.

The Howa triggers are great for factory, better with a spring. I would steer clear of the chassis-uses proprietary mags, latch in front, questionable ergos and looks. You could get $100 for the scope on ebay. You could have a barreled action from brownells with a krg or mdt field for $800 or so, even the Hera h7 model is about $700 and takes aics mags.
Yeah, I'm considering the build approach a lot. But Brownell's doesn't have the 24" barreled action on the web site right now (was over the weekend). And the MDT Field isn't available for the Howa. Probably wait for the barreled action to show up and get an XRS. Thanks for the inputs on the APC.