• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa mini action - which stock/chassis?

fullsemiauto556

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2021
IN
Looking at a Howa mini action in .223REM with a 20" heavy barrel.

I see a standard model with a pillar bedded HTI stock for under $550 on Gunbroker.

I also see the MDT Oryx setup for just under $900.

For a range toy, just shooting for groups on a bench and from prone, is the Oryx a good chassis/stock, for the money?
I have my Howa 308 in a Bravo and like that, for comparison's sake. I don't think the mini action fits the Bravo though.

I don't know if the HTI stock is decent enough to live with, or if it's gonna feel "cheap" like so many of the other budget hunting rifle stocks.

I put a howa in a bravo and a ruger in the oryx, I preferred the oryx chassis. It has less customization available but it just felt more substantial to me.

The Oryx is a great value for the $$$ and MDT does offer some other options as well. Boyds has some wood stock options.

MDT mini chassis

howamini_crownridgeangled_1600.jpg

Reactions: long range sponge
Mine was in a b&c. Didn't feed right. Apparently that's fixed and I want another in white with Oregon gunsmithing bdl

Attachments

• received_1551768911824788.jpeg
    received_1551768911824788.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 744
Reactions: long range sponge
So the factory Howa mini trigger guard and magwell are plastic?

And the factory mags are the only option, even in an aftermarket stock/chassis?

Sorry...two more questions.

Is the factory HTI stock complete garbage and not useable? Better than say the Ruger American stocks?

Any idea what brand scope rail comes on that factory Howa/Oryx setup?

I have the KRG bravo on a short action howa (6.5). The 6.5 creedmoor feeds out of 308 magazine with zero issues. The elf owl chassis is also nice affordable.

So, are there any ways to use anything but the Howa mags? Like ar15 mags? I’ve got a 6,5 Grendel action that I want to eventually switch to a 6ARC, but I’d like to have the ability to have mag compatibility. It looks like the rear of the mag body would need to be modified to allow the bolt to strip a round.

I have the KRG bravo on a short action howa (6.5). The 6.5 creedmoor feeds out of 308 magazine with zero issues. The elf owl chassis is also nice affordable.
The short action Bravo does not fit the mini action. I have a Howa .308 in a Bravo and compared. The distance between the action screws is longer on the short action.

Reactions: Averageman
So, are there any ways to use anything but the Howa mags? Like ar15 mags? I’ve got a 6,5 Grendel action that I want to eventually switch to a 6ARC, but I’d like to have the ability to have mag compatibility. It looks like the rear of the mag body would need to be modified to allow the bolt to strip a round.
I'd love to use an AR mag. This Howa mag is definitely not worth $35. Reminds me of the overpriced CZ rimfire mags. On the other hand, I'm probably going to single load the rounds anyways, so I guess the mag doesn't really matter too much to me.

I was playing with my mini action today and the standard mag and a 6.5 AR pattern mag. The issue to me is that the bottom of the action isn't wide enough to allow the AR mag to get high enough to feed the rounds. I think you'd need to mil out the action a bit.

Are the mini action smaller diameter than the short actions?

I have seen this option talked about on the grendel forum. Doesnt sound like they have tried it with 223 but it might be an option with a litle tinkering. CZ mags would definately be a step up. The front mag release on the factory mini bottom metal pisses me off.

I have seen this option talked about on the grendel forum. Doesnt sound like they have tried it with 223 but it might be an option with a litle tinkering. CZ mags would definately be a step up. The front mag release on the factory mini bottom metal pisses me off.
At one time coming up with mags was a issue, not n sure if it still is at this point.

At one time coming up with mags was a issue, not n sure if it still is at this point, to me the BDL setup is the way to go.

At one time coming up with mags was a issue, not n sure if it still is at this point, to me the BDL setup is the way to go.
At some point when I finish my pile of projects, I plan on pulling my Howa Mini grendel out and putting it in a Boyds stock with BDL bottom metal.

That's what I want. A mini 6.5g heavy barrel in a b&c m40 and bdl or the cz conversion. Nice small deer rifle.

Been a minute since I've posted around here, but my awesome wife bought me the Oryx chassis for my Howa 223. Very solid chassis. The only thing I noticed is that I'll have to remove the action to run a cleaning rod down the barrel, back of the stock is up just high enough to get a rod straight down the barrel. Other than that, I like it.

20220406_190627.jpg

Reactions: Bigtee-02

I put the CZ Mag bottom metal in my 6.5 Grendel Howa and it works great. I was afraid it would limit me on COAL but so far on 4 different bullets it hasn’t been an issue. You can find the CZ mags pretty easy too, I didn’t have a problem finding the Grendel mags and I saw a lot 223mags in stock too.